Thread: Lab repeatedly making the same mistake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Lab repeatedly making the same mistake.

I created a thread recently about how one of the labs we use was not sending trivex when we ordered trivex; this happened three times on one job with the lab insisting the lenses were trivex. I believe the material they sent was 1.6, but all I can say for sure was they were not trivex as I edged the lenses myself.

Anyway, this has happened on about 10 sets of lenses this year, which is incredible since we don't even get that many jobs from this lab.

Besides actually avoiding ordering from them any more, which of course we are trying to do, what should I do? I've told them about the problem but it just keeps happening. My biggest concern is that this could well be happening to other opticians, who don't necessarily glaze in-house so would never know.

I would say I hope they get sued when someone's lenses shatter but that would probably leave someone blind so I won't hope for that.

Thoughts?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are 100% sure it's not trivex, call them and ask them Why they are not trivex!
    The lab knows what was done for the job!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The odds of your getting sued or someone loosing and eye are much less than you being struck by lighting. But you do need a new lab.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    I'm pretty open when mistakes happen, even if I have to stretch the odds a bit to justify a strange series of mistakes. But this often? Is this a bad attempt at something sneaky, or people who just don't know what they are doing? Either way, I'd wonder about their work overall.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ask them to send the lens box label with the lenses.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    All the packaging says Trivex. To reiterate, we edge all our lenses in-house.

Just to be clear, we use Hoya for about 50% of our progressives, Zeiss for 20% and use Signet or Shamir for semi-finished as we do have a surfacing lab which we tend to use now only for uncoated lenses. The lab in question accounts for about 10% now, but it has some really niche products so is quite useful to us.

So don't think we are putting up with this, as I have reported the error and complained numerous times, and gradually reduced the amount we order from them (also because of thickness and coating issues we have with them). But we want to still be able to use this company, especially since their progressive designs are actually very good for the price.

My concern is mostly for other opticians who perhaps aren't edging in-house, and so would never know. How do I get through to them (the lab I mean, not the other opticians)?

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try to speak with someone with a higher rank in the company than the customer service reps on the phone. Lab manager, your sales rep etc. Be upfront about how serious the issue is and don't lose your temper.

If that doesn't work I would try to contact the manufacturer of the lenses in question and speak with them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    However you end up resolving this is beside the point. One thing that a good Optician must always be able to do is trust their lab(s) to provide them with exactly what they order. If a lab is unable to give you exactly what you ordered then they need to call and discuss options. No substitutions should take place w/o your expressed permission. You have too much going on to have to be wondering every time you unwrap some uncuts whether or not those lenses are what you ordered. Get a new lab.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We barely order from them now, don't worry about that. My major concern is the other customers who're ordering from them, and because if I know something's wrong, I can't help wanting to fix it.

Plus there are some products we can only get from them (at decent prices) so we will always be ordering from them a little at least. But you're absolutely right; treating every set of lenses with suspicion is a nightmare, really.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If they are sending you the packages, and they match the powers, they must be Trivex. Trivex can finish differently because its not the same product from every manufacturerer, most people have thier own slightly modified formula. Some are more yellow, some come off the edger more like 1.60.

If you want to know for sure, you can calculate expected thickness and measure your blanks. If it differs its not Trivex.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I finally worked out what was happening.

They have been substituting Trivex for CR39 every time we've ordered lenses for a full frame, obviously thinking we would never know, or that it wasn't necessary.

The thing is we often order our trivex lenses as if they were a full frame when they are for rimless, to prevent over-subbing, and many of our rimless jobs are not edged by me. So goodness knows how many times this may have happened.

This is a global company by the way. I'm furious.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Robert_S;430784
    The thing is we often order our trivex lenses as if they were a full frame when they are for rimless, to prevent over-subbing, and many of our rimless jobs are not edged by me. [/QUOTE]

?????

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Substitute trivex for CR39? Costly subsitution there.. for FSV it is still a factor of 3 or more for the costs....
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I think you get Hivex or Ultavex ( its mix 1,6 with trivex) . Those lenses are become very popular and fast . They are good.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    I finally worked out what was happening.

They have been substituting Trivex for CR39 every time we've ordered lenses for a full frame, obviously thinking we would never know, or that it wasn't necessary.

The thing is we often order our trivex lenses as if they were a full frame when they are for rimless, to prevent over-subbing, and many of our rimless jobs are not edged by me. So goodness knows how many times this may have happened.

This is a global company by the way. I'm furious.
    Sounds very decieving and unprofessional. You have to be able to trust your lab, and if your giving patients lens materials that they did not request, or might be unfit for their safety needs and what not, that makes you decieving and unprofessional as well. Find a new lab or smack some sense into them.

Thread Information