Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh "THAT" Patient.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Oh "THAT" Patient.....

Okay, so we all have "THAT" patient, and this one is beginning to take the cake, the pie, and the fried chicken and I'm about to blow off at her.

She believes that when she walks in that I should drop everything I am doing and everyone I am helping and all 4 doctors should come out front and do everything to please her needs. I have on multiple occasions bent over backwards and twisted my body to do everything I can to ensure she got what she needed. Granted, yes, her last pair of glasses was in the black hole of Murphy's Law, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong and not to mention that she was a non adapt to 3 different PAL's and then having to make Bifocals 4 times just to make her happy. I even went as far as personally making trips to the lab during our office lunches just to ensure I could get her glasses to and from the lab on the days she demanded.

Last week she broke her glasses, came in and I made a temporary repair for her. As then she asks "Do you have a frame that you can swap them into" .... "uh, no mam, this is not a frame that I carry, and if memory serves me right you got these from LC several years ago that you told me" .... "Well can't you just put them into another frame?" .... "not without having to edge down your lenses into a smaller frame" .... "I don't understand, why can't you just put them in this frame?" ..... This continued on for about 30 minutes until she had to leave for a funeral.

She came back in yesterday with a drilled rimless, asking me to send it and her full metal broken frame to the lab and have them mount it into there (Which I did say could be possible). I was working with 2 patients at the time, and had another 3 waiting to be helped next. She demanded to see me right then and there, the receptionist and office manager both told her that it could be about a 30 minute to an hour wait just to get to me, she huffed and demanded to see the doctors, they were with 2 to 3 patients each at the moment and was told that they are even busier then me and no way to get them out to see her. She huffed, pitched a fit, threw both pair of glasses on the counter and told them "Well, give these to J.P. he'll know what to do, and I MUST have them back by lunch tomorrow"

She calls not even 1 1/2 hours later, I'm still busy, and demanding to know the status of her glasses..... Seriously, I haven't even had my pick up from the lab yet, and she's calling just over an hour later. This isn't Lens Crafters, I'm not going to have things done in an hour, I can not control how fast my off site lab does for for me and the other 400 accounts they have.

I get a call from the lab just before closing, they are not able to drill her lenses, they are too thin. I call her and inform her, and oh boy, here we go. I try to explain why the job can not be done and she becomes infuriated with me, that she has to drive out here time and time again to get things done, (She only lives 10 miles away, I live 3 times that distance from here), and that every time she does come out here it's a wait and hassle to get anything done from us. She then asks what can be done, I explain that the only thing that can be done is making lenses with her RX in the frame she wants to use, once she hears that she has to spend money she's infuriated. She goes through the whole "Isn't there a frame there we can use?" I tell her that it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack, but that I AM willing to spend the time, go through all 2,000 frames I have in house and see if and what I have that we could grind her lenses down into, and that I can not promise it's going to be an inexpensive frame if it does match. She still can not understand this concept and become irate with me over the phone that she had to come back out here to find a frame with me, get measurements correct, and pay for a frame all at the same time.

Seriously, I'm at my whits end with this woman, and I'm about ready to snap and be rude to an elder and just tell her to find blow joe shmoe just around the corner and see if he'll do the same things I have done and offer to do. I have to hit the Jack Daniele's hard everyday I deal with her.

Ugh, just had to get this off my chest before I see her today. Sorry for the long vent.

Do you have a patient(s) like this? How have you dealt with them?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Refund what ever she's paid you and let her know that the practice is obviously unable to satisfy her needs. Give her as much information from her file as you care to, if only to give her next victim fair warning. You're losing money everytime she darkens the door, not only in the hardware but also in the lost time you give her for free.
    I've only had to take this stand a couple of times in my 40 years in this business, but I have NEVER regretted the action.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 06-29-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added content

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Refund what ever she's paid you and let her know that the practice is obviously unable to satisfy her needs. You're losing money everytime she darkens the door, not only in the hardware but also in the lost time you give her for free. I've only had to take this stand a couple of times in my 40 years in this business, but I have NEVER regretted the action.
    Sound adcive, I just hope I can get the owners to agree to it
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That shouldn't be a difficult decision for them. Just show the owners what she's cost them already.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    That shouldn't be a difficult decision for them. Just show the owners what she's cost them already.
    True
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yup, gotta agree with Judy. I've had to do that with a couple of accounts and more than a few retail customers.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post

Seriously, I'm at my whits end with this woman, and I'm about ready to snap and be rude to an elder and just tell her to find blow joe shmoe just around the corner and see if he'll do the same things I have done and offer to do. I have to hit the Jack Daniele's hard everyday I deal with her.

Do you have a patient(s) like this? How have you dealt with them?
    Eventually everyone who deals with the public in a business has this type of person to deal with. She's a bully and as Judy suggests you need to get the owners approval to let her go elsewhere.

You do realize she 's only coming back to you because you are kowtowing to her unreasonable demands and the other opticals have washed their hands of her?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As long as you allow her to do this, she will continue to do this. People only treat us the way we allow them to do so. This is common anymore. The "princess" attitude has taken over. Put her in her place and her actions will cease.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Eventually everyone who deals with the public in a business has this type of person to deal with. She's a bully and as Judy suggests you need to get the owners approval to let her go elsewhere.

You do realize she 's only coming back to you because you are kowtowing to her unreasonable demands and the other opticals have washed their hands of her?
    I've dealt with the public ever sense high school, I've had some peopel scream at me and call me everything but he child of God and I would stand with a smile on my face and tell them thank you. But this one, man, I'm ready to throw away the smile all together.

however our Docs ask that we try to shoot for the "Unreasonable Demands" of our patients, and see if we can meet them, but I think it's causing this to happen too much.

It is high time to wish her good luck with the next optical.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    As long as you allow her to do this, she will continue to do this. People only treat us the way we allow them to do so. This is common anymore. The "princess" attitude has taken over. Put her in her place and her actions will cease.
    Hmmm, Maybe I should put a sign up "I Don't Cater To Your "Inner Princess" Please Try Again" lol
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not good for business at all. In addition, when she comes in making demands in front of other patients, the wrong message is sent. That can lose you business as well. They will either feel that they have to do the same thing to get service, or that they need to go somewhere else due to the frustration. I agree with Judy, we shouldn't have to fire patients too often, but when we see the need to do, dust off your feet and get on with it.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @OP...JP:

Before you "kick er to the curb", so to speak.....ask yourself this question. Professionally speaking,is there anyone, nearby, that can take care of, and not take advantage of this cranky person.....as well as you can?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lose the smile!!!

I've dealt with the public ever since high school. I've had some people scream at me and call me everything but he child of God and I would stand with a smile on my face and tell them thank you. But this one, man, I'm ready to throw away the smile all together.

However our Docs ask that we try to shoot for the "Unreasonable Demands" of our patients, and see if we can meet them, but I think it's causing this to happen too much.

It is high time to wish her good luck with the next optical.
    Are all the re do's no charge? If not I'd show them what it is co$ting the business.

If that fails I'd go guerrilla and slow down all efforts no matter how much she complains and find a way with a "polite" smile (showing condescending disdain) to tell her it's time to find another person who can better serve her needs. But again I'd beg my bosses to listen to me or better still have them talk to her so they can witness this abuse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for a company that has a reputation for going above and beyond for customers. Sometimes that is reflected in how patients behave and expect to be treated, and I get the overly entitled snowflakes. Actually, my current location as a lot of these folks, and it's been quite an education learning how to manage them.

I vote for firing her. Refund whatever she's paid, which will be totally worth it when it takes away any argument she could possible have. Tell her, "Since we obviously cannot satisfy your needs, it's in your best interests to purchase your glasses elsewhere. Here is a refund of the glasses you purchased from us to make up for your inconvenience, and we wish you well as you seek service somewhere else."

I know this is difficult, and I wish you luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yep, she needs to be "downsized". Think about all the time(money) that has been spent trying to satisfy her needs. Now, spend a little more time and do a cost-benefit analysis on her last few years in the office. It's not hard to do. I'm willing to bet you are in the minus column on this patient for all those years right?? Do you think an employer would think twice about keeping an employee around who was "costing" them the same amounts?? Put it down on a piece of paper for the Doctor/Owner to see and if necessary send the patient a copy too with a letter kindly asking her to take her business liabilities down the road apiece.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has Linda C. moved up there?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, she needs to be removed form your current patient base. If your boss' can't see that, ask if they would be willing to help her. You will get your answer very easily, especially if you have documented how much it has cost them, and include all of your trips and time back and forth to the lab. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    I came, I saw, I left

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One must always remember, that the powers that be may have a different concept of what behind should be kissed and how intensly.
    I've worked for several that thougt this depended on how much money, social standing, political clout, or attractive appearance governed this. Little to do with the actual situation at the time.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG She just showed up, I never called her to let her know her glasses were here, and the lab deliver hasn't even made it to my office. And she's huffing and stopming around because they aren't here yet. Thank GOD I close early today, Jack Danile's Here I COME!!!!!

And Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, I'll get back to you after I'm done with this.

And Thanks for letting me vent
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She sounds narcissistic and you are just playing into it. She's never going to change and by being nice to her you are encouraging her. Stop jumping through hoops for her, treat her fairly but don't bend over backwards.

Since you didn't sell her the frame just tell her there is nothing you can do. DON'T make her another pair of glasses!! She will never be happy. Tell her you don't think you can make her happy and that you can't help her anymore.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    OMG She just showed up, I never called her to let her know her glasses were here, and the lab deliver hasn't even made it to my office. And she's huffing and stopming around because they aren't here yet. Thank GOD I close early today, Jack Danile's Here I COME!!!!!

And Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, I'll get back to you after I'm done with this.

And Thanks for letting me vent
    Oh Boy, and there we have it! Once when I was an itty bitty Optician I remember watching my new coworker(Old Timer Optician) take his lunch break. I watched him walk across the street, get into his car, lay the seat back and up came the large bottle of something. I could see the bubbles rise. I had no clue the career I was in for. Anyway, good luck with your valued customer.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Not good for business at all. In addition, when she comes in making demands in front of other patients, the wrong message is sent. That can lose you business as well. They will either feel that they have to do the same thing to get service, or that they need to go somewhere else due to the frustration. I agree with Judy, we shouldn't have to fire patients too often, but when we see the need to do, dust off your feet and get on with it.

Diane
    I found out later today she made her "Demand" to the office manager in front of a new family to our practice. Even the office manager is ready to tell her to hit the road.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    @OP...JP:

Before you "kick er to the curb", so to speak.....ask yourself this question. Professionally speaking,is there anyone, nearby, that can take care of, and not take advantage of this cranky person.....as well as you can?

Well, to answer that,..... No, but at the same time, Can my employer afford to pay me 2 hours each time she comes in to baby sit her, and can we really afford to bend to her will and demands of things that we are not truly responsible for.

The Answer..... NO
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    I work for a company that has a reputation for going above and beyond for customers. Sometimes that is reflected in how patients behave and expect to be treated, and I get the overly entitled snowflakes. Actually, my current location as a lot of these folks, and it's been quite an education learning how to manage them.

I vote for firing her. Refund whatever she's paid, which will be totally worth it when it takes away any argument she could possible have. Tell her, "Since we obviously cannot satisfy your needs, it's in your best interests to purchase your glasses elsewhere. Here is a refund of the glasses you purchased from us to make up for your inconvenience, and we wish you well as you seek service somewhere else."

I know this is difficult, and I wish you luck.
    I have already mentioned this, but the "Giving her money back" probably won't be an option sense she has had them for almost a year, and it's not the pair in question in which she is currently having an issue with.

I would have no issues with firing those patients that cause us the problems, but it's never easy to convince the owners of doing so.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Oh Boy, and there we have it! Once when I was an itty bitty Optician I remember watching my new coworker(Old Timer Optician) take his lunch break. I watched him walk across the street, get into his car, lay the seat back and up came the large bottle of something. I could see the bubbles rise. I had no clue the career I was in for. Anyway, good luck with your valued customer.
    HAHA, OMG I haven't laughed so hard all day, thank you, and oh boy do I need luck with this one
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Thread Information