Thread: Looking for some recommendations for an Rx-able wrap sunglass frame

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Confused Looking for some recommendations for an Rx-able wrap sunglass frame

Customer self description:

I am 6'5 320 with a size 8 hat size. In otherwords I have a very large cranium. Huge. When I wear the {Liberty} bikers it's like dental floss on shreks eyes. Really small frames in my big head. So not only do i want more lens space but the frames need to fit a bigger head.
    Issues on selection:

1) frame needs to be able to support a 5 mm (edge thick) lens - back beveling is not a problem if necessary
    2) ED cannot be longer than 65 mm due to lens type configuration (think Executive line) - I'm putting him in a plano power specialized filter for glassworking

Customer sent in a Kaenon Guage, which normally would be OK, except for the long ED (68 mm)

I've looked at the Hilco Leader Rx Sunwear, but none of them seem to have a large enough B measurement.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by MikeAurelius; 06-27-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: fixed quotation hash marks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Silhouette Suns? But then you have the edge thickness with the compression mount. I've done some with an 8mm edge and it held perfectly for 2 years.

Fossil Suns: Mario/S ED=62mm with 6 BC
    Fossil Suns: Rick/S ED=59mm with 6 BC

Chesterfield Suns: Score/S ED=65mm with 7 BC
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Oh, one other thing, frame needs to be for glass lenses...so no string mounts or drill mounts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Knowing you, I should have known better then to mention a drill mount, lol

The other 3 are full metal. The Chesterfield and Fossil lines have Zyls too, but they are a non wrap 4-6 BC, but still fit within your ED needs.

There are some Nike Suns that would work, but I've always had issues with high RX's mounting well and holding their original shapes.

The only others I can think of are Costa Del Mar's, but then the patient is out a high cost when having to buy their Frame/Lens combo when you're gonna make lenses for them.

Hope this helps
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

Oh, one other thing, frame needs to be for glass lenses...so no string mounts or drill mounts.

Whats wrong with that ? Any frme can be used with glass lenses as they did forever, even monocles where made in glass.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Whats wrong with that ? Any frme can be used with glass lenses as they did forever, even monocles where made in glass.
    Should be obvious: I won't put a specialized filter in a string or drill mount. These guys abuse their eyewear greatly. Without a surrounding frame to protect the lens edge, the lenses would chip and break within a week or so. Additionally, I won't put a laminated lens in a string or drill mount due to the high risk of delaminate at either the groove or the drill location.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These guys abuse their eyewear greatly. Without a surrounding frame to protect the lens edge, the lenses would chip and break within a week or so.

Whoa Whoa Whoa...... You patients abuse their eyewear? That just can not be All my patients tell me is that they opened their glasses case and they looked that way. I blame the glasses cases! LOL
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Glass! ............what the heck is that?
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    LMAO!! You guys crack me up (that's a glass joke, btw)...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Glass!............what the heck is that????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Glass! ............what the heck is that?
    Glass is the material that you still love best to drink your favorite beer, wine or scotch from.............................and not from poly, or plexiglasses.

So did Hitler, Stalin, Churchill and Mussolini, as well as Franklyn D.Roosevelt and had to put on their glasses made with lenses from glass, when a bug floated in their drink so they could fish it out.

These days a human being gets into contact with polycarbonate as soon as they are born..............the glass baby bottle has been replaced by it.

That is why the optical world in the North American corner can barely remember glass...................and calls the lens that is closest to glass, plastic.

Thread Information