Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the Best Experience You've Ever Had as an Optician?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Going back many years, when I ws in Grand Forks, ND, I had a young girl who had an Rx so strong, it needed to be dispensed in phases. Every 1.5 months she'd come in and get a change in her Rx. Each time she got to see something "new" to her!! It always brought tears to everyones eyes each time she'd jump up and down about a new item she could see.
    Great thread!
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I like the theme of this thread and honestly wishyou are going to beat the statistics of my so called "inflammatory"one with this post, and wish you all the best for your good intentions.

However as you mentioned my name, which is real and no pseudonym, like 99% ofall OB posters, on the first line of your post, I believe that I have the rightto respond and create the first deviation on your theme.

By posting that line copied in the quote you leftan opening for opposition and discussion going back to the"inflammatory" post. If that line would have been left out you would havehad a virgin theme, which in this case you have not.

You also start a good meaning post with threatsof having it closed down if it deviates from it's theme. The only authority toclose a thread is in the hands of Steve or his moderators.

No member here has the right to control others intheir postings. Some of them a good and some of them are not. So therefore my"inflammatory" one was only in the title and not in the content andyou should not blame somebody for it.

I have tons of good experiences over a lifetimein the optical and probably could write a book on it. I will share some at alater date if you have not closed the thread before.
    Please knock it off.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Please knock it off.
    I love this board. Truly I do. Even when you all disagree, you are funny.

OK, kid dispenses seem to be satisfying reasons to carry on. I had one this week that I thought was going bad. She's a +5.00 with limited English and she kept saying "everything's FUZZY" but couldn't give much more info.

I have a really odd Spanish reading card from Arno that has poetry on the English side. "A wide view over four counties..." Anyone seen this thing? She could pick out a few small Spanish words but I suspected her trouble was really with the complexity of the material, not with her sight.

I remembered one of my instructors saying that hyperopic kids often don't like to wear their glasses because giving them sight at near tends to rob them of some of their distance. So I asked her to Mom to take the child home and check how she reads her Spanish story books. All of this had to be delivered in pantomime.

An English speaking relative called me the next day and said the child can read her story books very well, she's very happy now, and they want to come in for backup glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got 2 that are my most memorable:

About a year and a half ago a 6 year old little Boy came in for his first eye exam, he turned out the be a -6.50OD and -7.75OS with a fair amount of Cyl. After his exam we pick out a pair of glasses that he was very scared and unwilling to try on, even complained that they didn't make everything look better (Like all kids do when trying on frames). When they came back in to pick up his glasses just a week later, the entire family came in for the dispense. He put them on, turned to his mother, he gasped, a look of surprise and love and said "Mommy! You are SO Pretty!" It was really the first time he was able to see her face clearly without having to be right on top of her. They hugged and mom cried, Then he looked down at the carpet and said "Look, the carpet is "bumpy", and at my lab door and said "I can see the lines in the door". I took him outside to see how the world looked, and He jumped up and down screaming, "I can see the leaves, Mommy and Daddy, Look Look Look, there are leaves on the trees". Mom and dad hugged and mom just kept crying in joy. They came back a week and 3 weeks later for additional adjustments and told us that from that day on he was pointing out things he had never been able see before. When we came back in to the next exam he Hugged the doctor and told her "Thank you for making me see the world", and of course that started the water works all over again.

2 Years ago a little 4 years old girl whom is about a +15, Dad who didn't know anything and was very scared of it all, we picked out glasses and when we got them back, she put them on and was in awe of how she could see everything. She looked up at her dad and was scared, it looked as if she didn't recognize him (Which she didn't) and when he asked her what was wrong, she smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen and said "DADDY!!!!" she jumped up and hugged him. He was very confused and asked why it was she reacted that way as if she didn't know him. I explained that now he looked different then what she is use too, and it wasn't until he spoke that she knew it was him for sure. He asked her if everything looked better, she said "Yep, you sure do". He laughed and "gee thanks" and even she did the, ooo, look at this and this and this. One of the cue test things I had even seen.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A fellow optician and her husband arranged for me to meet them at a local restaurant with a small dance floor. They wanted to introduce me to an optician they knew. After the second dance with a very smart not to mention pretty French Canadian girl they conveniently disappeared. I proposed to her before a Neil Diamond concert and we married six months later in 1986.

That's right- Two opticians met on a blind date!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Pun Not intended? ROFL
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are so many, it would be hard to single out one or even two. However, for now, let me say that the "best" experience I've had is recently (1 1/2 years ago), when I agreed to "teach" at a college, and see the ideals of these students and how they want to make our world a better place by being a part of allowing others the have a better life through better vision. I am soooo looking forward to seeing each of them excel at wheat we do. That is the best. :)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Hahahahaha! Adorable! I love it!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The day I joined Optiboard and Fezz gave me a warm welcome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    The day I joined Optiboard and Fezz gave me a warm welcome.
    For me it was Harry Jilson I was brand new and afraid to post because I'd seen so many snarky responses. Thanks Harry! I stuck around and learned a lot.

Thread Information