Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you schedule your lunches?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you so much for all the feedback and making me feel so welcome! It's certainly across the board (pun intended). Our lunch hour is unpaid. I'm still debating what to do. I think our current patients are used to the policy- some respect it, but it annoys some, and I'm afraid it will turn off some new patients. We'll see! Thank you all again- much food for thought! (I just think that's a cool smiley)...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we are open for lunch, with no lunch breaks now.

I will probably be changing that, or when opening my new office will have a different policy.

Many of our patients expect us to be closed for lunch, we have a few that come in during that time, but not many.

In my experience, an ideal situation would be to remain open, receptionist only. everyone else is gone for an hour-hour and a half. staying open for pick up's, and basic things, while giving the doctors, manager, optician time to regroup has shown the best results through out the day. for me.

There are also many times it is an advantage to the doctor and employee/s being able to go to lunch together. they can be extremely productive meetings. also a good time to meet with reps, etc. with out impacting business.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    On weekdays, we stagger our lunch and dinner breaks like normal human beings. On Saturday, we are open from 8 AM til 3PM, which is 7 hours. No one gets an official lunch break, and we pay everybody for 8 hours. Between 11 AM and 1-2 PM, we are crazy busy. You swallow your lunch from home if you get a chance. The staff voted for this instead of working til 4PM and taking a one hour lunch.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once upon a time had a secretary that would feed me sandwiches while I was running the hand edger.
    Hated to see her go.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    In 36 years of doing this, I've always worked through lunch.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I once upon a time had a secretary that would feed me sandwiches while I was running the hand edger.
    Hated to see her go.
    Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    You can stagger lunches more easily if you staggered your start times, so that someone is coming in a half hour earlier and another, a half hour later.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a manager I worked through lunch many times but you really cannot require your employees to do so as that may be a state labor law violation. Never worked for an office that actually closed for lunch, that would seem to be an inconvenience to anyone stopping in on their own lunch hour to pick up or get a repair. Where I am now we stagger lunch hours from 12-2 and work shorthanded for that time. No one whines if they need to go earlier or later and truth be told most of us munch between patients and use our lunch hour to run personal errands. I live so close I just go home. And no we do not get paid for that hour, the office is open 9 hours to accomodate lunch and still give an 8 hour workday.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where I currently work, lunch management is hap hazzard at best. Fridays and Saturdays were are only open till 3pm, so nobody goes to lunch.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We close from 12:30 to 1:30 (unpaid) where I work...there is no break room so we kind of have to close since we eat in the dispensary. It is very, very rare that a patient takes so long choosing frames that I miss part of my break but when I do I get paid for the missed portion of my time.

I can and have used my break time to do paperwork, or research for a patient; but I don't think that I would ever work in a situation where I wasn't given some sort of break. I need the time to relax and not have to shovel food in my mouth while checking in jobs and running the edger.

Also my hands shake too much when I'm hungry.

Thread Information