Thread: Blue Cross Canada now paying for on line purchased glasses..................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Blue Cross Canada now paying for on line purchased glasses..................

Coastal now accepts Blue Cross -------------------->

Choose between two great offers:

1. GET 15% off any purchase!

Buy one pair of prescription
    eyeglasses and get the
    second pair free!

1) Use coupon code 15BLUE to receive 15% off any purchase.

2) Use coupon code BLUEBOGO to buy one regular or sale priced pair of prescription glasses and receive a second pair free! Both pairs must have the same prescription to be claimed through Blue Cross. The second pair must be of equal or lesser value. This excludes non-prescription sunglasses, contact lenses, accessories and some designer brands.

Use Coupon code:

15BLUE

Use Coupon code:
    BLUEBOGO

Both pairs must have the same prescription
    to be claimed through Blue Cross.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most insurance forms I have seen require a provider to sign the form and the person must be an optician or OD and some require the license # as well for submission, so how does that work with on line vendors ?

The claims being submitted in Ontario or other licensed provinces would now be auditable proof of illegal dispensing within a licensed province .

I imagine a change management, professional, legal beagle will be all over this with a fine tooth comb and the ink will be flowing on the disciplinary committee paperwork to audit those insurance company records as evidence if anything is amiss .
    Last edited by idispense; 06-13-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe they could change their rates. One day they might pay 20% up to 8.00 for frames and lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is my opinion that this is a very grey area of entitlement by holders of insurance policies....................

Who is entitled to generate a medical expense receipt that is legitimate? Is the generation of a receipt legitimate in the eyes of the federal government, or is it an attempt to circumvent normal provincial and federal taxation?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't see that it is a grey area at all . In the Province of Ontario the RHPA and the Opticianry Act both define who can legally dispense eyewear in Ontario and these 2 Acts of legislation give the powers of protection of the public to the Regulatory body known as The College of Opticians of Ontario which empowers a President and Registrar and Council to uphold and administer Ontario law as written in the regulations. The Insurance company records would certainly prove that dispensing was delivered in Ontario by licensed or unlicensed persons .

Where is the greyness of this ?

The Ontario President in his March 2012 newsletter reiterarted the Colleges commitment "to eliminate all forms of illegal/unauthorized practise, thus continuing our role in the protection of the public of Ontario" and as well he spoke about "leadership" roles . http://www.coptont.org/docs/Newslett...-March2012.pdf

We have to believe what our Regulatory body prints so then I would expect action to examine those records .

I would also expect the other licensed provinces to follow suit across Canada .

Where is the greyness ? The insurance company records would be black and white , the newsletters say they will take action with their new management team against all forms of illegal dispensing and that is printed in black and white and the regulations are printed in black and white .

It should be a done deal !

They have the lawyers , they have the legislative power and they told us they were commited to stop all forms of illegal dispensing , lets hold them to the veracity and truthfulness of what they advertise in print to us and the public .

In fact, do the Colleges not also have some rules and regulations dealing with truth in advertising ?

I'd be hard pressed to identify a grey area here .
    Last edited by idispense; 06-18-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if this qualifies for a no no called "tied selling?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Most insurance forms I have seen require a provider to sign the form and the person must be an optician or OD and some require the license # as well for submission, so how does that work with on line vendors ?

That's assuming they're doing paper billing, which I seriously doubt they are. Chances are they set up their BC account using the people they have on site who are licensed (Same loophole that 'allows' them to dispense in the first place) and just submit through BCs online system. No signatures needed :\

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    That's assuming they're doing paper billing, which I seriously doubt they are. Chances are they set up their BC account using the people they have on site who are licensed (Same loophole that 'allows' them to dispense in the first place) and just submit through BCs online system. No signatures needed :\
    Either way it would be illegal dispensing if the customer resided in a licensed province especially if the advertisements were publicly placed in licensed provinces inducing customers to circumvent the licensed provinces laws. Google is not allowed to support or profit from advertisements that circumvent and violate "local applicable laws" , they have been fined many times over this illegal activity, sometimes they have been fined up to 500 million dollars.

Google has a place on the bottom of their web page Home that allows our regulatory bodies to file an electronic claim to stop this.

It's a shame that our regulatory bodies have their heads buried in the sand and continue to ignore the options open to them . It's a further shame that their members continue to pay their regulatory bodies while they ignore this simple avenue .

One has to wonder why ?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They have licensed people on site?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    They have licensed people on site?

If they had say Ontario licensed staff then that staff would have to be current and registered in Ontario and then you would be able to look it up for yourself using the Public Member Search feature of the college http://www.coptont.org/SEARCH/search.asp

I doubt you will even find a listing for that company .

A phone call to the President and the Registrar will give you the latest info and then you could ask for the most up to date reasons why we should pay them to uphold the laws of our country.

Thread Information