Thread: The Snowball Effect of a Frame Rep

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

The Snowball Effect of a Frame Rep

Two years ago I opened our shop representing five major frame companies with their various divisions. In the meantime I have developed good relationships with some reps and discovered others who have proven to offer substandard service and/or products.

The problem is that several of the reps have gone to other companies and now are after my business. Although I like the rep and the service they provide, I can not always find a place for their new product in our shop. Likewise, reps who have not met my expectations in the past are taking on some frame lines which have been proven sellers. Since we are physically, economically, and demographically unable to offer all of their frames I must choose between the performance of a frame line and the service offered by a frame rep and the company he/she is with. RESULT: I now have a ton of frame reps after my time and retail real estate to merchandise their product.

Unfortunately, in the past few months I had to turn away some great reps with product that I know wouldn't work in our environment and welcome reps I am not so fond of who have taken their place.

I certainly don't consider business to be a popularity contest with frame reps but know this is the nature of the beast. I would like to hear how other folks deal with this issue and/or how frame reps would like to be considered under the mentioned prevailing circumstances.

Kevin

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down Reps

I just stick to the frame lines that sell, and don't use the reps if I dont, and use the ones I like.

Bad address email on file
    Think of it this way. Business is business.

Something someone told me once and I will always remember. There is no such thing as friends in business.

If the rep moves to a company that you don't wish to deal with then it is his problem. Hopefully he realises this.

Anyway. My 2 cents worth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, business is business. You are right to keep the number of vendors DOWN to a minimum.

And no matter how good the frame rep, nobody knows your business and your patrons better than YOU!

I have added companys in the past because of the rep, and ended up sorry for doing so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember the saying--"Sorry, its nothing personal, its just business".:D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    !00% true. Reps are needed but they are not your friends...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    15 years later and that snowball is still rolling! How many of you have reps from 15 years ago, that are with the same line? I have zero!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper In 1969 I was the first owner of a frame company that hired the first women rep......

In 1969 I was the first owner of a frame company that hired the first women rep in a totally male dominated business, optical frames.

Francine was a superb looking fashion model, that went on regular tours a few times during the year, into the larger towns of the province, to show off the newest and latest coming fashions. She also looked good wearing the worst looking frame we had.

We hired her in August, but she only wanted to start October 1, when the latest fashion tour was finished and we agreed.

She started as agreed, and reported that it was unbelievable how well she was received by the ODs and Opticians everywhere she went, and made sales in just about every office she visited, and the customers were waiting to see her. Our competitors went everywhere and told the retailers that Chris Ryser was crazy to put a women on the road.

Her first month commission was more than double the amount that she would make on the fashion tours. She stayed on for many years.

Thread Information