Thread: new Zeiss photocromic lenses, one of them got aberrations

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

new Zeiss photocromic lenses, one of them got aberrations

Hi,

I have worn some old 1.67 plastic Zeiss lenses for 7 years on my perfectly-fitting rims. Due to the relatively high Rx I have got, I consider those lenses as a miracle in how thin they were. They came in 55 mm blanks!
    However, their lifespan is not anywhere near the lifespan of some regular glass lenses, so I got to the point where the world wasn't really distinguishable any longer :)

Well, being so satisfied with them because of their thinness I went to the same optical practice and ordered Zeiss again, again 1.67, again 55 mm, but this time some improved coatings and finishings. Their actual name eludes me and I can not find their catalog online anywhere, but I did order their latest thing. And, this time, also went for the photo-sensible lenses that tint in UV light.
    So today I went to pick them up, and surprise! in the left eye lens (outer part) I could sense some pretty annoying contour optical aberrations, just as my head turned to the right. It seemed like the image was rapidly drifting / cascading / bending out of the view , anyway, it felt really wonky. The lady behind the counter has shown me on her optical gadget that the lenses where indeed respecting the Rx... About the right lens, can't really tell as my right eye is the lazy one. So I can only guess that the left lens somehow got screwed in the process of its making; next week I'll see face to face with some local Zeiss representatives.

What would a piece of advice here ? Should I insist on returning the lens to the nearest Zeiss lab for inspection (I got backup glasses, so no rush really) ? What if they come back saying the lens is perfectly fine when it clearly isn't... is this the new standard with Zeiss ? I would just ask them to replace them with previous model that I have been so happy with, but will they do that I wonder...

Thanks!

PS. in spite of the similarities, it looked like the new lenses (fitted on the same rim) were actually thicker. Possible, or just my imagination / sharply and shinny new lens edge ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    There are so many variables involved and possible causes of what you have described that it would be unprofessional, and actually moronic, for any of us to guess at what could be the cause. The Zeiss rep and more importantly your optician should be able to advise you on this matter.

I would love to be able to help, but I would be doing you a disservice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can not help you. Please follow our posting guidelines.

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Thread Information