Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you organize your personal glasses? Displays?

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do you organize your personal glasses? Displays?

Since my Rx hasn't changed much in the past fifteen years, I have amassed a small collection of glasses that I rotate among. Does anyone know of a good quality display/rack/holder that I could set around 20 frames on? It could go on a table or mounted to a wall. I also have around a dozen sunglasses, so if it fits those at the same time that would be great.

Thanks,
    William
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't even try to organize mine. I throw all of them in a drawer and grab the first pair I come to. If it's wrong i grab a different pair and try again.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to sew and I make small sized "shoe organizers" that I hang on the wall to organize my personal eyewear collection.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My past employer's widow had maybe 100 pairs. Outladish Tura's (when they were) Harelquins and really unusual stuff (she said: If I'm gonna be an optician's wife, I'm gonna have glasses). She kept them in one of those full door closet shoe hangers.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I am just as bad as all of you describe, or maybe worse. I even found a pair of glass executives, plano +1.00, I made to find out how it felt to have bifocals when I was young.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I don't even try to organize mine. I throw all of them in a drawer and grab the first pair I come to. If it's wrong i grab a different pair and try again.
    No offense here, Jacqui, but our industry's complete lack on involvement re: how to store/care/carry/manage/access/display a person's eyewear is, IMHO,

THE NUMBER ONE OBSTACLE TOWARD THE IDEA OF USING/HAVING MULTIPLE PAIRS.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    No offense here, Jacqui, but our industry's complete lack on involvement re: how to store/care/carry/manage/access/display a person's eyewear is, IMHO,

THE NUMBER ONE OBSTACLE TOWARD THE IDEA OF USING/HAVING MULTIPLE PAIRS.

B
    That's your take-away from this thread?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Isn't that how Fred Sanford "organized his glasses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get exactly what Barry is saying here. How can we expect John Q public to treat eyewear as a fashion accessory when we treat it as a junk drawer. Pick out your outfit, then shoes, earings, purse, then your eyewear to match. It is one of the first accessories someone sees when looking at you, make it a good one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless your patients watch you fishing them out of a drawer, I don't see the relevance. "Do as I say, not as I do." I've seen Opticians wear their glasses propped on foreheads, hanging off one ear, or pulled down their noses so far as to be useless. This discussion is silly at best and insulting at worst. The reply didn't need to be made in bold face/all caps, the online equivalent of screaming.

The original poster was looking for a solution, not presenting an opportunity to preach to the choir about multiple pair sales.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the trays with closing flaps that sales reps use work well

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Unless your patients watch you fishing them out of a drawer, I don't see the relevance. "Do as I say, not as I do." I've seen Opticians wear their glasses propped on foreheads, hanging off one ear, or pulled down their noses so far as to be useless. This discussion is silly at best and insulting at worst. The reply didn't need to be made in bold face/all caps, the online equivalent of screaming.

The original poster was looking for a solution, not presenting an opportunity to preach to the choir about multiple pair sales.
    I think you are over reacting slightly. Barry was making a statement which had relevance to the topic, as he's entitled to. This board is about the optical industry so his post was probably the most relevant in fact.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    My past employer's widow had maybe 100 pairs. Outladish Tura's (when they were) Harelquins and really unusual stuff (she said: If I'm gonna be an optician's wife, I'm gonna have glasses). She kept them in one of those full door closet shoe hangers.

Chip
    I don't have quite that many pairs yet Chip but I second the shoe bag. I can see the cases so I don't have to dig for them, and they are right in the closet when I'm getting dressed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    I think you are over reacting slightly. Barry was making a statement which had relevance to the topic, as he's entitled to. This board is about the optical industry so his post was probably the most relevant in fact.
    I give up. Relvant to what? Certainly not the original question. Have we lost the ability to have a simple, civil conversation? Must our various points, relevant or not, be made by screaming? The question was simple enough and the answers could have lead to some creative ideas. Sadly, it will not. I predict it will take the same bullying, sarcastic and unpleasant turn that most seem to make here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I give up. Relvant to what? Certainly not the original question. Have we lost the ability to have a simple, civil conversation? Must our various points, relevant or not, be made by screaming? The question was simple enough and the answers could have lead to some creative ideas. Sadly, it will not. I predict it will take the same bullying, sarcastic and unpleasant turn that most seem to make here.
    I haven't noticed any bullying or sarcasm in this thread, personally. Capitalisation is a literary (usually humorous) technique used to emphasise a point. I don't think you need to read any further into it than that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Relevant to what? Certainly not the original question. .
    No, not to the original question, but to the topic and to this board in general.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My apologies. I had no idea that he was being funny.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I keep mine in the vacinity of my makeup/lotion area of my bathroom. Talking about the current ones of course. I've slowly lost track of about 10 pair that I really can't wear at my current job. I am currently lusting after at least 3 pair of Vera Wang's that I'm hoping will find a home with my others.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope William got some ideas...he probably stopped reading when the whining started. FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Curious...wan't trying to scream - rather emphasize. I do hold this point very strongly, however.

Solution: i visit rhe Bates booth at each VE, find out what specials they're running on their vinyl or wood 3/4 pair eyewear wardrobes. If the quantities left make sense...say <50 pcs. I'll nake an offer to buy their remaing inventory. I can usually get a piano lacquer wood finish 3 pair box for around $10, and I freely give these away as presents when client step up to the eyewesr wardrobe level, which I define as 3 or more pairs.

Oops... Secret's out. Another good reason to go to the shows.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband installed a frame rack in our bathroom that will hold 12 pairs, 9 me/3 my husband, the rest are on display throughout my store as dispay peices.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Sorry Curious...wan't trying to scream - rather emphasize. I do hold this point very strongly, however.

Solution: i visit rhe Bates booth at each VE, find out what specials they're running on their vinyl or wood 3/4 pair eyewear wardrobes. If the quantities left make sense...say <50 pcs. I'll nake an offer to buy their remaing inventory. I can usually get a piano lacquer wood finish 3 pair box for around $10, and I freely give these away as presents when client step up to the eyewesr wardrobe level, which I define as 3 or more pairs.
    B
    Barry - I was looking at those, do you happen to know their appox retail ?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't we all tell the truth, when we lose or break a pair we dig until we find out wherever the last or at least something we can see out of is.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Barry - I was looking at those, do you happen to know their appox retail ?
    I tell clients the 3/4 pair vinyls are $30/35. The polished wood 3/4 pairs are $55/60.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    www.framedisplays.com fabric covered tray like the reps use from 8 piece upwards only $18. Might even buy some to sell in the shop.

Thread Information