Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are many opticians ar so unprofessional.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yes, I totally understand that, however, it's not related to the PD/MRP issue, which is what this thread has turned into...unless of course you are changing its direction (again). (grinning)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no MRP on a plano prismatic lens, only a 360 orientation (even in compound prism). As example, take a 5 D trial prism lens. Move it 10 mm in,out up or down the prism amount and direction stay in the same location unless you rotate it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Agreed, in a TRUE plano power lens. But how many labs actually make a prismatic true plano lens? They "should be able to", but I think that there is always going to be some small amount of power in there, due to manufacturing tolerances and thickness, hence the MRP point I was making.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Why is it our place to tell them they shouldn't wear ugly glasses? I can only educate a patient on what to expect. If they tell me the good old "I've been wearing glasses since I was three, at least they aren't glass anymore" then what else can one do?
    I think it is very much our place to tell them their glasses are going to look ugly. As an optician, it is our job to understand how a lens is going to look in a frame. Yes, we need to know how thick a lens is going to be and it is your job to tell the patient that. I undertand as an optician management wants sales numbers, but you must also be aware of what is going to happen if you recommend a partiular product. Poly isnt the worst thing for a -8.00 but it isnt the best either. From my experience, I see most opticians recommnd poly because a lot of us come from a commerical big box store, ie LC, Pearl, Eyemart Express, Eyeglass World, Sears, JCP, Wal-Mart, Cosco, etc. There are so many big boxes that recommend poly as the first choice because that is how we were trained from day on because that is what the store can get CHEAP. Poly is a CHEAP thin lens. Then, for the few of us that are lucky to break into private practice we still sell poly because that is what we are used to and because we might be used to selling 9.99 complete jobs with poly. If you don't know how to caclulate lens thickness then learn. I am not pointing at YOU optilady1 but at ALL opticians. Although, I think most of us who really care about our profession are on this site. It is so easy to get complacent and just sell the same old crap over and over and over because it becomes easy. New lenses aren't created to simply increase profit margin but also because they truely are better. Sure, glass is great to look through but the first time those lenses shatter from dropping them or leave marks in your nose because they weight 100 lbs. then remember there are better materials. Remember this, if the patient has an ugly pair of glasses and you helped them...it is YOUR fault.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Big V;426802]I think it is very much our place to tell them their glasses are going to look ugly. As an optician, it is our job to understand how a lens is going to look in a frame. Yes, we need to know how thick a lens is going to be and it is your job to tell the patient that. I undertand as an optician management wants sales numbers, but you must also be aware of what is going to happen if you recommend a partiular product. Poly isnt the worst thing for a -8.00 but it isnt the best either. From my experience, I see most opticians recommnd poly because a lot of us come from a commerical big box store, ie LC, Pearl, Eyemart Express, Eyeglass World, Sears, JCP, Wal-Mart, Cosco, etc. There are so many big boxes that recommend poly as the first choice because that is how we were trained from day on because that is what the store can get CHEAP. Poly is a CHEAP thin lens. Then, for the few of us that are lucky to break into private practice we still sell poly because that is what we are used to and because we might be used to selling 9.99 complete jobs with poly. If you don't know how to caclulate lens thickness then learn. I am not pointing at YOU optilady1 but at ALL opticians. Although, I think most of us who really care about our profession are on this site. It is so easy to get complacent and just sell the same old crap over and over and over because it becomes easy. New lenses aren't created to simply increase profit margin but also because they truely are better. Sure, glass is great to look through but the first time those lenses shatter from dropping them or leave marks in your nose because they weight 100 lbs. then remember there are better materials. Remember this, if the patient has an ugly pair of glasses and you helped them...it is YOUR fault.[/QUOTE

Big V - ABOC-AC

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gera View Post
    400 or 2000 jobs daily it doesn't matter.
    We doing what optician asking ( doesn’t matter how hard I try to explain them ) after few days they call us back and start begging to redo the job with no coast to them .
    You should abosutely remake them at no cost. No questions asked. I will give you the main reason. If you don't...someone else will. Bye bye account.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Big V View Post
    You should abosutely remake them at no cost. No questions asked. I will give you the main reason. If you don't...someone else will. Bye bye account.
    But then the question becomes, does this account do this regularly? If so, let them go. You really don't need to be doing jobs over at no cost if it isn't your fault.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Its not plano if there is prescribed prism, even if it has 0.00 sphere and cyl. You can only truly verify prism at the OC so you cannot fully verify the RX without a PD (technically) because Prism is either measured at OC or prism reference point for Progressives.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ok Chip. I'll bite. Why is PD needed on a plano lens with prism if it's S.V.?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't think you gonna get any diffence in the prism reading on a plano/prism no matter where you measure it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Its not plano if there is prescribed prism, even if it has 0.00 sphere and cyl. You can only truly verify prism at the OC so you cannot fully verify the RX without a PD (technically) because Prism is either measured at OC or prism reference point for Progressives.
    Prism is not measured at the "OC". The OC has been de-center if there is prism. Prism is measured from the patients PD/MRP in sv and bi/trifocals and as you state the PRP on a PAL. But if the lens is a SV/plano w/prism, there is no MRP because the lens reads exactly the same at all points as long as the lens is not rotated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Big V View Post
    I think it is very much our place to tell them their glasses are going to look ugly. As an optician, it is our job to understand how a lens is going to look in a frame. Yes, we need to know how thick a lens is going to be and it is your job to tell the patient that. I undertand as an optician management wants sales numbers, but you must also be aware of what is going to happen if you recommend a partiular product. Poly isnt the worst thing for a -8.00 but it isnt the best either. From my experience, I see most opticians recommnd poly because a lot of us come from a commerical big box store, ie LC, Pearl, Eyemart Express, Eyeglass World, Sears, JCP, Wal-Mart, Cosco, etc. There are so many big boxes that recommend poly as the first choice because that is how we were trained from day on because that is what the store can get CHEAP. Poly is a CHEAP thin lens. Then, for the few of us that are lucky to break into private practice we still sell poly because that is what we are used to and because we might be used to selling 9.99 complete jobs with poly. If you don't know how to caclulate lens thickness then learn. I am not pointing at YOU optilady1 but at ALL opticians. Although, I think most of us who really care about our profession are on this site. It is so easy to get complacent and just sell the same old crap over and over and over because it becomes easy. New lenses aren't created to simply increase profit margin but also because they truely are better. Sure, glass is great to look through but the first time those lenses shatter from dropping them or leave marks in your nose because they weight 100 lbs. then remember there are better materials. Remember this, if the patient has an ugly pair of glasses and you helped them...it is YOUR fault.
    Optilady also stated that she'd educate them about ugly glasses, which I take to mean she tells them the glasses will be ugly. But she, or any optician, cannot and should not force them to buy the best optical solution. Should ECPs upgrade to the "right" solution at no extra cost in order to do what we think is right and lose the ability to stay in business?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Optilady also stated that she'd educate them about ugly glasses, which I take to mean she tells them the glasses will be ugly.

New meaning of *Duty to Warn* :

" You're gonna look fugly in that frame! "

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh my gosh, almost just peed my pants.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is totally going to give away where I work (and I may have second thoughts and pull it later!), but I had to document it when I received a job that a beginner had done for a -6.00 in a 64mm eyesize. We only offer poly for polarized suns, so I called the guy, apologized, explained that his suns were unwearable and invited him in to restyle into a smaller frame at his convenience. Then I showed the pics to that newbie... and everyone else. It's now part of my teaching process, so that trainees can understand the relationship between Rx, eyesize, lens material and edge thickness.
    Last edited by tigerlilly; 02-03-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: delete photo

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why so much bow at the bridge? Why were the temporal sides of the lens not relived to allow temples to be at a more normal configuration? Why were the lenses not relived nasally to allow for nose pad adjustment? Even with too thick lenses frame should have some resemblence of symetry.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why so much bow at the bridge? Why were the temporal sides of the lens not relived to allow temples to be at a more normal configuration? Why were the lenses not relived nasally to allow for nose pad adjustment? Even with too thick lenses frame should have some resemblence of symetry.

Chip
    I'm venturing a guess that the lab is doing it quick and dirty. I've finally learned what frames not to put a plus lens in because every one of them comes back with daylight between the lens and the eyewire or actually popping out at the top. Not the same problem Tigerlily describes, but probably the same reason applies.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They really weren't that curved. It's an odd pic, as I was dangling them with one hand and taking the pic with the other. I wanted to best get that edge thickness, and the angle is weird - you can barely tell they're polar grey. It wouldn't have mattered if they were dead straight across the front or if they had so much curve they looked wrapped; they were unwearable, and the optician who sold them should have been aware of the potential problems with using that frame for that Rx.

As Pseudo said, quick and dirty is the way it is. I'm impressed with the commitment to quality and the caliber of what we get, especially considering the constraints of super high-volume retail, but we offer a limited number of options. There's no time to do the special tricks to accommodate unusual needs, particularly in an automated manufacturing environment. We need to do the job right on our end as opticians when we choose frames and select materials, because there's no one in the lab doing jobs by hand to catch it when we've made a goof and fix it for us.

Thread Information