Thread: Varilux Comf vs New VC

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Varilux Comf vs New VC

Hesitate to put old VC wearersin New VCas I have heard bad feedback from prev VC lovers.

Some comments relate to what I understand as a hard egdein the new one. Anyone that has switched customers pls comment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post
    Hesitate to put old VC wearersin New VCas I have heard bad feedback from prev VC lovers.

Some comments relate to what I understand as a hard egdein the new one. Anyone that has switched customers pls comment.

My understanding (and I may be wrong here) is that if you take a traditional PAL design, and freeform it without adjusting the design (which is pretty much what Essilor did with the Comfort and Physio), you will end up with a weaker add.

I've certainly noticed this phenomenon on Comforts when I've focimetered them....

I would also expect the Comfort Advans would be slightly softer than the old Comfort (which has traditionally been very hard), purely because the freeform should widen the intermediate channel, but I don't dispense enough to form a solid opinion.

I think you should do your best to move old Comfort wearers to Zeiss. They will have superior vision as a result. I find they tend to have trouble with Hoya designs though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The primary difference between the Old and New Comfort was they moved the unbalanced distortion that was prelevent nasally, more to the outside. Despite this small change most patients didn't notice any difference. The main complaints have been a loss of intermediate vision in the New Comfort, and the old Comfort had a terrible intermediate to begin with.

Other questions considered, is a lens that 19 years old still the best lens for your patients? To put in another way, when the Comfort launched Windows 95 was still 2 YEARS in the future. X-Files was in its first year, and Spray on Hair was on an Infomercial near you.

Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When they named Comfort yo many years ago...

They new what they were doing.

B

Thread Information