Thread: Empower

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Empower

I was wondering if anyone has sold many empower frames yet? Ive sold 3 so far and have had terrible results with them. Most of the problems come from charging and from the pts having difficulties actually turning the reading on and off. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    same here. Waiting for a redesign of the charger before I try and start selling them again

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you think it's really the charger or maybe the frame? Do WE really know?? Not! Make 'em take back the frames that you can't sell until they work out THEIR silly kinks!!! There's no way they could make me keep them on my shelf being so problematic! It shouldn't be your problem & your cashola is tied up in their product which unanimously needs work! You gave them your inventory cash & trusted them, they have let them down, I couldn't see keeping my cash tied up in a faulty product, but remember sugar goes farther, tell em you're happy to come back when the kinks have been ironed out. And me personally, I'd want a complimentary pair to try for 30 ish days before......going there again. I'm just saying.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    actually, I am in process of seeing what my options are. Haven't heard from my Empower rep lately..no surprise there. Wish I could ask for a pair to try, my Rx falls off their grid at this time. My MD that was trying a pair isn't very impressed at this point. Wish me luck :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Empower update

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well we had pt come into the office with the takumi rep being here and a technical rep from empower on confrence call. After an hour of the tech rep blaming everything from pt wearing it wrong , to pt charging wrong and the optician measurements being wrong. (thank goodness the takumi rep was here to verify all of this was done correctly) We decided that it may actually be that the frame electronics may be the problem and were shorting out , or just not making good connections. That being said , I dont think I will call empower when I have issues with their product. I will call takumi because they seemed much more interested in correcting the problem, instead of laying blame elsewhere. I am returning the frame and I will keep you guys posted on what we find.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HI,
    WHAT IS THE FEEDBACK FROM THE CONSUMER !!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He loves the wider field of vision when the glasses are working properly. He was a non adapt before this pair, thats why we are fighting to keep him in these, if we can fix his problems.
    Problems are difficult to charge, he never gets the 5 flashes to show a full charge. When in the automatic mode, they activate far too quickly so they interfer with his vision alot. When the charge is below 50% the add power does not activate at all!!! Over all the performance is inconsistent, most likely due to a short imo....for what thats worth lol.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi , first try removing the silicone bridge insert from the charger. If one lens activates and the other does not, try reversing the glasses and have the temples dangling on the other side of the charger, still making sure the LED's are bright on both temples. If you do that you can eliminate the charger as the culprit, then send the lenses back to Pixel. It's either a connectivity issue or a bad blank. Also the lenses will keep their charge longer if they are not in automatic mode.
    Money carefully refunded

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the help dave, lenses are on the way back to pixel..... I really want this to work! But im starting to feel over promised and under delivered so far :(. Soo many other issues not stated in this thread.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just an update, got the frame back from pixel.... it was impossible to get it in a charge position , but by handling every few hours I finally got almost a full charge.... But the left lens reading zone will not activate at all. the right lens works fine until the battery charge is at 60% then it no longer functions correctly. Very very dissappointed in the entire pixel team, I had even talked to executive team members including the president and this is the quality they sent back to me. My patient paid top dollar several months ago and he has no glasses! But his attitude is exceptional and Im going to go buy him a huge gift card out of my own pocket. Wish every patient I had was like Mr. Wisner..... Anyways I wont be selling another empower frame anytime in the forseeable future. If you are thinking about selling these, I would strongly urge a reconsideration.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been warning you about this product! I have folks in the know and they know enough to stay away from all of their products.
    The company has never produced a viable product and burned thru millionssss of $$$$$ in the process. Where is the hybrid 1.67 lens? What about the bogus computer smart set lens they no longer offer after no one wanted them.
    I was burned by Opthonix and they have wasted even more money while having nothing to show.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One thing that I have noticed with the "old" charging bases, the rubber insert, it's not good with the Double Bar and Zyl emPower frames. You yourself will need to "Modify" the insert with those frames. My lab would just cut them in half and all it did was make a cushion for the frame, but not hold it in place in order to get a proper charge. In case you have forgotten when you were trained on the emPower frames, you have to adjust the charging base in order to ensure it get a good, and even charge. Even check the charging base and see if it's warped, even by 1mm off level can make a big problem (I had one of those come in). Plus you need to demonstrate and show the patients how to properly charge and ensure it's getting a proper charge just before walking away from it. I spend at least 1 hour when the frames come back from the lab to ensure that the frame and charging base are properly aligned and that all electronics work the way that they should. And I spend 30-45 minutes with each patient that buys emPower to go over in full detail of how it works, how it charges, and the entire user manual front to back, I'm actually having to start an "emPower Class" and do all my emPower dispenses on one day and one time with multiple patients.

I've had only 1 issue with charging, and it was something I fixed in house, never had to call, never had to send it off. I've had had no other major issues with emPower. All of my patients that have purchased it have been loving it, and can't wait for Gen 2 to come out.

Yeah it's a bumpy road, but ensuring you have the right contacts and all your ducks in a row, it makes the small things not so big and easier to deal with.

You patient seems to be a very understanding person, most "normal" patients would be s#!ting kittens by now.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No offense JP, but its not a charging issue, its not a 1mm off on the charger issue. It is an electronic function issue, when the frame is fully (4 green flashes) charged and the left lens will not activate, either manually or in automatic. It is typical pixel, over promise and way under deliver. Recall about 4-5 years the At-Last lens (which in mho was a smart seg) and I sold about 20 of them with 14 non-adapts...just garbage. But Im glad to see you are doing well, Ive talked to alot of ppl who have had similair issues as I did with this product. Ill wait 2-3 years and give it a try. I want this technology to work! :) especially since now I am nearing 40 myself lol.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by normuck View Post
    No offense JP, but its not a charging issue, its not a 1mm off on the charger issue. It is an electronic function issue, when the frame is fully (4 green flashes) charged and the left lens will not activate, either manually or in automatic. It is typical pixel, over promise and way under deliver. Recall about 4-5 years the At-Last lens (which in mho was a smart seg) and I sold about 20 of them with 14 non-adapts...just garbage. But Im glad to see you are doing well, Ive talked to alot of ppl who have had similair issues as I did with this product. Ill wait 2-3 years and give it a try. I want this technology to work! :) especially since now I am nearing 40 myself lol.
    Very odd, I haven't ever heard of the control module having problems like that.

Hopefully the New CEO will get their mess straightened out and this will get better and not being bided to the cheapest labor
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Thread Information