Thread: Patient Education regarding FDA/ OSHA/ ANSI Standards

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Patient Education regarding FDA/ OSHA/ ANSI Standards

It is my opinion that every patient who purchases online prescription eye wear should also purchase the service of proper prescription alignment and verification that lens fabrication meets industry standards. Brick and mortar ECPs should educate patients regarding benefits of quality control - at the point of eye examination or in a document attached to the released Rx. Is anyone doing this at present? Is there a patient education tool we can share?

Quality control including compliance with industry standards differentiates ECPs from E-Retailers. My understanding is that the FDA and OSHA regulate impact resistance. The FTC regulates the practice of providing written prescriptons. And ANSI provides industry standards regarding lens power, prism, thickness, curvature and astigmatism. However, the ANSI standards are completely voluntary.

Is anyone routinely educating their patients about the importance and consumer benefits of ANSI standards? Do you have a strategy or patient education tool you can share?

Reference: http://www.nfos.org/files/ANSIZ8012005.pdf

"The use of American National Standards is completely voluntary; their
    existence does not in any respect preclude anyone, whether he has approved
    the standards or not, from manufacturing, marketing, purchasing, or using
    products, processes, or procedures not conforming to the standardsThe use of American National Standards is completely voluntary; their
    products, processes, or procedures not conforming to the standards"
    Last edited by RKJ; 05-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Renee Kathleen Jacobs O.D., M.A.
    Director Practice Management Depot
    www.PracticeManagementDepot.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post

It is my opinion that every patient who purchases online prescription eye wear should also purchase the service of proper prescription alignment and verification that lens fabrication meets industry standards.

The use of American National Standards is completely voluntary; their
    products, processes, or procedures not conforming to the standards"

What a perfect post, and it is coming from an OD. maybe some of the OptiBoard member posters are going to see the light some of these days.

If they would sell there services like anybody is this world does, they could make some money with the on-line buyers who need them for measurments and adjustments.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Keep on unbundlin' RKJ! Maybe the consumer will see the light. Maybe we'll all see the light!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nobody wants to be first on their block to un-bundle. Until the net puts more preasure on retailers, it ain't gonna happen.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Keep on unbundlin' RKJ! Maybe the consumer will see the light. Maybe we'll all see the light!
    Given the responses to her other threads, I doubt it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    OSHA only mandates that the spectacles meet Z87, nothing else.

The FTC isn't involved at all.

Ok, I see you are from Canada. I guess that explains your mis-conceptions on how things work on this side of the border. (no sarcasm intended, just speaking my mind)

Essentially, there is NO compliance to ANYTHING (with the possible exception of Z87) in the United States. Think of British Colombia in Canada, just the entire United States. Z80 is complied to because the dispenser demands it and typically rejects anything that falls outside of its tolerances, but if you look back in history, you will see (for better or worse) that those tolerances have been loosened over the years, which is especially troubling, given the advent of digital surfacing and the ability to hit a power dead on. If anything, the tolerances should be tighter, not looser, but that's just me...
    Last edited by MikeAurelius; 05-28-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: additional verbage.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Also, the FDA doesn't regulate much of anything these days. They take a hands-off approach to the entire lab/dispenser side of the business and concentrate ONLY on the manufacturers of semi-finished lenses. Why? There are less businesses to regulate. They have nowhere near the man/womanpower to police the labs and/or dispensers and rely only on consumer complaints for enforcement.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I also believe that the tolerances should be getting tighter. The current ANSI is a joke compared to what things were when I started 43 years ago.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The public doesn't care about ANSI, nor should they. Ditto the FDA regulation. However, they should care about the FTC reg, the one wear it specifically states that the Rx should be handed to the patient (not the staff) after the exam is completed ( and paid for?).

You're never gonna legislate away the acceptance of adequate by people. Nor should you. You must create a fee structure that makes sense to people in a changing competative environment. Frames are easy to unbundle. The public's confidence in the *excellence* of lenses however, is not. For convenience sake, many people will still prefer the bundle at b&m, whether it be you, me or Costco/Walmart.

You're survival is in your hands, not these companies. They are no longer to be considered you partners, but rather players. It is what it is.

Amazon style is here to stay, and I for one, am glad of it.

B

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The public doesn't care about ANSI, nor should they. Ditto the FDA regulation. However, they should care about the FTC reg, the one wear it specifically states that the Rx should be handed to the patient (not the staff) after the exam is completed ( and paid for?).

You're never gonna legislate away the acceptance of adequate by people. Nor should you. You must create a fee structure that makes sense to people in a changing competative environment. Frames are easy to unbundle. The public's confidence in the *excellence* of lenses however, is not. For convenience sake, many people will still prefer the bundle at b&m, whether it be you, me or Costco/Walmart.

You're survival is in your hands, not these companies. They are no longer to be considered you partners, but rather players. It is what it is.

B
    +1. And, I'm thinking, that if there are enough FTC complaints by consumers, we will see the day come that PD's are also required to be on the prescription. (Yes, I know, I know, but please spare me the flames, ok?)

I've always thought that frames should be unbundled...how many labs supply frames as part of the job? Some, not all. Why NOT have a price for lenses, then sell the frame with a separate price tag?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I've always thought that frames should be unbundled...how many labs supply frames as part of the job? Some, not all. Why NOT have a price for lenses, then sell the frame with a separate price tag?
    All of us do this already for the most part and have for years. Unless it's an eccono package. (select frames, set lens options). If a client still feels it's more than they wish to spend, by all means, un-bundle:

* No warranty past 30 days

* No Dr's changes n/c

* No scratch warr.

* One time adjustment N/C at time of pick-up

* charge for screw/pads replacement

* ect.

I've only once had one client take me up on the above (And he had an Rx change 2 weeks later..)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing for it wastes you time and annoys the pig"

Patients and customers couldn't care less about the myrid of thing we do. But, they want it cheap...with a warranty.......

I do a lot of packages....and you get a warranty..if you pay for it!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mike, you are dead on here.

You might have noticed my soap box issue is helping independent eye care professionals prosper as E Retailers gain market share.

I started this topic because I am looking for ways to persuade patients to stay with independent providers, and I like collaborating with smart people.

It is my impression that most of our patients have experienced purchasing eye wear from providers who verify that the finished Rx meets Ansi Standards, and my guess is that most patients - if they have given it any thought - have some belief that prescriptions purchased on-line will have the right Rx.

Patients are learning the hard way, from experience, that online purchases do not always meet expectations. AND professional ECPs are losing money by providing free services troubleshooting when eye wear purchased from a competitor does not meet expectations. We can do better.

I'm thinking of a system of strategy and tools, ECPs can employ, to help consumers make good choices. I’m eternally optimistic and believe patients would like to know that service fees are bundled with product fees, what those services are, and why those services are important.

Patients trust us to tell them what they need to know to make informed decisions. We can do better. This is our chance to define our services, then trial and error ways to explain what we do until we communicate value in ways patients appreciate. We can legitimately charge for services, without hiding behind inflated product fees that make e-retailers look so much more affordable.

PS - just arrived in Canada, still unpacking

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dear optical 24/7,

I agree with you that no one wants to be first. I'd add that change is hard. I see those who share on optiboard as leaders. I believe that together we can create and implement some tools and strategies that lead our professions to do what is right for opticians, right for optometrists, and certainly what is best for the patient. There are moral reasons and business reasons to help patients make good decisions.

This is the place to try new things, share experiences, improve tools and strategies, and lead independents to maintaining profitability.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The public doesn't care about ANSI, nor should they. Ditto the FDA regulation. However, they should care about the FTC reg, the one wear it specifically states that the Rx should be handed to the patient (not the staff) after the exam is completed ( and paid for?). B
    Barry, I'm thinking that when we hand over the Rx, that is the time to include an attachment that informs patients about the value of Ansi Standards, the pride the office takes in delivering first quality eye wear, and the willingness to provide prescription verification and alignment - for a fee - in the event the patient elects to fill the Rx outside the office. Communicate caring and interest in patients seeing their best.

The strategy is communicating both caring and knowledge our patient's need. The tool would be the attachment to the Rx. The tool can be created and modified until the majority of patients respond favorably when they experience it.

You're never gonna legislate away the acceptance of adequate by people. Nor should you. You must create a fee structure that makes sense to people in a changing competative environment. Frames are easy to unbundle. The public's confidence in the *excellence* of lenses however, is not. For convenience sake, many people will still prefer the bundle at b&m, whether it be you, me or Costco/Walmart.B
    Do you know of anyone who is successfully unbundling frames and/or lenses? I'd like to talk with them about strategies, successes, and failures. We need leaders to pull our profession forward, so that independent providers can prosper in a changing environment.

B
    I love Amazon. I also love Zappos.com. I can see why consumers desire to buy prescription eye wear online - especially if the prices look incredibly reasonable compared to the b&m fees for products.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't give one liberty-twop about ANSI and my eyewear. I only care if my client sees the way they want to, and has the utility and comfort they desire from their eyewear.

ANSI compliant, or NOT.

FDA, well that's another matter. I obey!

I public needs to seek out B&Ms with the skills and the desire to take their vision needs "all the way": Fashion, function fit, vision, service, convenience and warranty
    Anything less than this is now the paying field of online.

B

Thread Information