Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free form optimised single vision lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Free form optimised single vision lenses

Hi, would anyone here like to share their experiences in prescribing free form single vision lenses for their patients? Is the visual optics provided much better than the conventional lenses? Is the vision much better at night time for free form sv?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prtescribing? No. Recommending, calculating and fabricating? Yes.

They're wonderful.

No ifs, ands or buts.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

They're wonderful.

No ifs, ands or buts.

B
    +1 Barry, right on the money!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Some times I agree with Barry Santini and this is one of them. I wear them and think they are much better.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    I usually argue that SV is a better example of the benefits of Freeform than PALs. PALs will always have a corridor and can never be made in violation of the minkwitz theorem. so the global design benefit that a well compensated freeform design can have is mostly in the distance area of a PAL, where as in a Freeform SV you can truly create edge to edge to edge clarity. this is especially true in higher prescritions, patients with astigmatism, and anytime you move a way from the ideal base curve.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by IdentityOpticalLab View Post
    I usually argue that SV is a better example of the benefits of Freeform than PALs. PALs will always have a corridor and can never be made in violation of the minkwitz theorem. so the global design benefit that a well compensated freeform design can have is mostly in the distance area of a PAL, where as in a Freeform SV you can truly create edge to edge to edge clarity. this is especially true in higher prescritions, patients with astigmatism, and anytime you move a way from the ideal base curve.
    +1

I have had good success with the freeform single vision. Especially as the power increases. I don't personally notice a difference, but I am only a -0.25 -0.75. My brother in law is a -6.75 sph and loves the wider field of vision that it gives him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We use the Nulux EP from Hoya mostly and four times out of five, if not more, the patient will describe their vision as the best they have ever had.
    They also love the fact that the Bi-Asphericity of the lenses greatly reduces the minification/magnification of their eyes.

It goes without saying that the Zeiss Individual SV achieves high patient satisfaction as well.

I only wish more patients would elect to have 'Digital' single vision lenses.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear the Hoya Nulux EP 1.70 with Super Hi Vision A/R and love them! I'm give or take about a
    -5.00 in each eye.
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I wish we could still get 1.70 here in the UK. Fantastic material, but Hoya have discontinued it.

The only downside of it from my experience is that it tends to discolour quite quickly.
    Last edited by Robert_S; 06-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    I wish we could still get 1.70 here in the UK. Fantastic material, but Hoya have discontinued it.

The only downside of it from my exerience is that it tends to discolour quite quickly.
    It's still available from Tokai and Vision-ease

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Jacqui!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

They're wonderful.

No ifs, ands or buts.

B
    My patients love them. Makes me wish I wore glasses so I could "see" what its all about. They "see"m to live up to the hype.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i have never prescribe any freeform SV. may i know usually what prescription you will prescribe that? as i seeing mostly are for high prescription? how about low prescription such as -1.00DS?

thanks..
    Yeap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.00DS....no; unless it is to put this lens on a non-standard curve to be a soecific frame. Sometimes I will when trans is added, since i can source a FFSV with AR & trans for similar money than stk

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I find that with anything over a +/-2.00 with anything over a 1.00 cyl, the patient will notice a difference.

However, usually the patient will only notice a huge difference if the Sphere is over a +3.00 or -4.00, or if the cyl is above a 2.00, or if they are the engineer type.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the FFSV upgrade difference is superior to a 0.25D sphere or cyl change, definitely
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 06-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I would agree with that. It's probably worth some axis inaccuracy as well!

I'm getting very frustrated with our optometrist telling people they don't need new glasses, as if the only way to improve someone's vision is with an Rx change!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the good advice. i may consider it as upgrade for my patient.

by the way, is Hoya Nulux EP also an FFSV? i thought is just a double aspherical stock lenses?
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    No. It appears in the catalogue as a stock product, but you will find the surfaced price is identical (unless you have different discounts for surfaced products), because it is a free-form surfaced lens, even if you order it as stock.

Here's what you should tell the patient they are getting if you are dispensing Nulux EP:

1) The sharpest vision possible through the centre of the lens.
    2) Excellent vision from edge to edge (the best peripheral vision).
    3) The flattest, and usually thinnest prescription lens available (assuming you use the correct material).
    4) Improved cosmetic appearance; less magnification/demagnification of objects through the lens, particularly the patient's eyes.
    5) A Hoya coating (a choice of Super HiVision or HiVision Longlife) -Hoya make the best coatings in the world. I usually tell the patients about their premium AR whilst I'm writing out the order.

With all that, I don't know how some of them say no! Unfortunately some will, but the ones who invest in the lenses will be very impressed. Remember to only dispense it if the prescription is one that will benefit, as Barry and I discussed above.

PS. Sorry for sounding like I work for Hoya. I use the Zeiss Individual SV as well, and it's a great lens.
    Last edited by Robert_S; 06-25-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    HI Robert, great info you have it here.. honestly i prefer zeiss lenses for myself..
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Well, the Zeiss Individual is a fantastic lens as well, though more expensive. I think that between that and the Nulux EP you couldn't go wrong. If you are comfortable with Zeiss, stick with Zeiss.

Hoya certainly make better coatings though. My experience is that their lenses are thinner too, because of the double-sided surfacing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    referring to double sided surfacing, NIkon also produce something similar. do you have any experience or feedback about that lens?
    Yeap

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    seems NO OB Sells Rodenstock

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
    referring to double sided surfacing, NIkon also produce something similar. do you have any experience or feedback about that lens?
    I'm afraid I don't. I'm sorry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I would disagree. Using Minkwitz a little, I think there is an enormous advantage in a backside add power in a myope, decreasing with increased hyperopia, to lower total distortion. To use the old sand analogy for progressive lens distortion, it simply takes less sand to fill a bowl (like when we put the add on the back of a progressive) than when put the add on the front, because we are building a dome with sand. It will take more sand to build that dome.

Also imagine a line that runs from the distance zone, through the "progressive" junk, then to the reading, across to the junk on the other side, and back to the distance. In a free-form lens with a backside add we start with a steep concave for the distance, go moderate concave for the progressive area and have a flatter concave for the reading (all concave). In a standard add on the front we start with a convex curve for the distance, through the progressive zone junk it turns to steep concave, and then back to steep convex for the reading, steep concave again, then back to convex (convex, steep concave, steep convex, steep concave, convex). In a front side add lens you end up with focal points scattered over a wider area than a backside Free-form lens. Although a backside add won't eliminate distortion, it lowers the potential total distortion because it keeps the progressive curve closer to the corrective curves of the RX, by definition thats less distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by IdentityOpticalLab View Post

Thread Information