Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Varilux S Series

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux S Series

Coming in July. We had a company meeting last night about Essilor's Visioffice.

They said their latest lens will be introduced in July, the Varilux S Series.

This is from one of their lab's facebook page. What's your take?

"Coming soon! A revolutionary new progressive lens ,The VARILUX 'S' SERIES !! Featuring limitless vision, stability in motion and edge to edge clarity in all gaze directions! Available mid summer. Call us for more information on the new amazing product!"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had many patients coming into my office asking when the next Varilux series will be coming out. Their vision is fine with what they are wearing, but they feel they aren't spending enough on their eyewear to justify how happy they are.

Not.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm looking forward to edge to edge limitless vision.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I'm looking forward to edge to edge limitless vision.
    I'm sorry Gary, I didn't realize you were talking about contact lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I'm sorry Gary, I didn't realize you were talking about contact lenses.
    Aha! so that's what they were talking about. I'm getting a little older and senile you know.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't anyone else see how this "limitless" vision stuff from Essilor is marketing? First of all, this PAL is FRONT molded? Where is the digital OR FreeForm in that? Second, optically it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of swim and sway in a PAL. There is a lens with distance, intermediate, and near zones with no swim or sway....its called an executive tri-focal. The steeper base curves needed to refract the light to a tighter focal length makes it impossible to eliminate swim in a PAL. It HAS to be there. There is no other way around it. The get "edge to edge" clarity in a PAL is all marketing and can not be done. Surely, you all can see that. Essilor has been putting out bogus marketing for the last ten years people. They are simply trying to spin there antiquated front molded designs over Hoya's dual-integrated surface and Zeiss's variable corridor complete backside FreeForm surface design. If someone can explain to me how you can completely eliminate swim and sway in a PAL with out producing a ledge I would be glad to hear it. All I have to say is that if it truely were possible we would have it by now.

Big V, ABOC-AC

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yea, you MUST also have the Visioffice to get the "limitless" vision out of these S lenses. Sounds like a play out of Zeiss' play book. When this all rolls out and you tell your patient's they won't have a corridor get ready for huge backlash. I promise if it truely were possible to make a PAL with zero swim or sway that Zeiss and Hoya would be on this as well and I have not heard, seen, or researched anything out of those camps. It's all Essilor marketing kids, and it's bad for ya. Yey, George Carlin!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's a S Fit, a S Design, and a S 4D (taking Free-Form where no lens has gone before?).

I wonder if the S stands for "States", as in United States, similar to the India Series.

http://varilux.co.in/India_Series.html

However, the US is hardly a nation of homogenous people. Maybe the S stand for something else...
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    According to the rep I spoke with today, the S stands for 7, the seventh generation varilux lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    There's a S Fit, a S Design, and a S 4D (taking Free-Form where no lens has gone before?).

I wonder if the S stands for "States", as in United States, similar to the India Series.

http://varilux.co.in/India_Series.html

However, the US is hardly a nation of homogenous people. Maybe the S stand for something else...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, all we have here so far is branding. So what it is the seventh gen. Varilux lens. How can you say it will eliminate swim and sway? Come on, this is all Essilor BS! Can anyone explain how Essilor somehow changed the laws of optical physics? I'm tellin' ya people. It's all Essilor marketing, and it's bad for ya!

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yet another way to market the Comfort. Gotta use up those millions of blanks. HAHA. One can only hope it is actually different this time.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Maybe the S stand for something else...
    "something"?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or maybe just "something else"! As in "Do you recommend the same lens design that I'm presently wearing?" "No sir or madam, you are getting something else."

This marketing stuff sure can get silly, eh?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Big V View Post
    Doesn't anyone else see how this "limitless" vision stuff from Essilor is marketing? First of all, this PAL is FRONT molded? Where is the digital OR FreeForm in that? Second, optically it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of swim and sway in a PAL. There is a lens with distance, intermediate, and near zones with no swim or sway....its called an executive tri-focal. The steeper base curves needed to refract the light to a tighter focal length makes it impossible to eliminate swim in a PAL. It HAS to be there. There is no other way around it. The get "edge to edge" clarity in a PAL is all marketing and can not be done. Surely, you all can see that. Essilor has been putting out bogus marketing for the last ten years people. They are simply trying to spin there antiquated front molded designs over Hoya's dual-integrated surface and Zeiss's variable corridor complete backside FreeForm surface design. If someone can explain to me how you can completely eliminate swim and sway in a PAL with out producing a ledge I would be glad to hear it. All I have to say is that if it truely were possible we would have it by now.

Big V, ABOC-AC
    +1 and ECP's continue to support this crap!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    +1 and ECP's continue to support this crap!!
    Not I!!!! No Way.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And do any of you know anything at all about this new lens that you hate so much?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHass View Post
    And do any of you know anything at all about this new lens that you hate so much?
    Sorry Doc, I missed the post where they said they hated the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't hate the lens. I've not seen the lens. As I told the rep, if it does what they say it will do, I will be its biggest fan.

If the question is do I believe it will do what they say it will do, the answer is no.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nobody's lens does what the marketing department says it will do. But I'll admit that between calling their anti-reflection coating an anti-glare coating, and the above over the top declaration of PAL performance (although maybe we should wait to see the wording in the official marketing piece), it seems that the silly season in advertising has become a year round production. Even the white papers sound more like marketing than visual science at times. So it goes...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think passing such preliminary judgements and conclusions is not befitting the spirit of this board. It'll be out soon enough 7/10/12.

Let's wait and see.

I, for one, hope it delivers something tangible. I've all-but-abandoned all the other V products

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I think passing such preliminary judgements and conclusions is not befitting the spirit of this board. It'll be out soon enough 7/10/12.

Let's wait and see.

I, for one, hope it delivers something tangible. I've all-but-abandoned all the other V products

B
    If it does offer something new and better, great!

But from what I've learned about progressive lens designs from many sources, including our ophthalmic optics guru Darryl Meister's work, I don't think what they claim is possible.

http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    If it does offer something new and better, great!

But from what I've learned about progressive lens designs from many sources, including our ophthalmic optics guru Darryl Meister's work, I don't think what they claim is possible.

http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/

I have not heard anything from my essilor rep regarding these lenses yet, other then "there are some new progressives coming out in July" Is Essilor actually claiming there will be zero distortion? Or is this just somthing an overly enthusiastic third party lab wrote on their facebook page?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do think in this particular it is ok to pass judgement on this lens. Essilor is calling all opticians idiots by shoving this garbage down our throats! They are basically saying opticians are just sales people who will say anything we tell them because we are Essilor. I am sorry, after what I have experienced from Essilor in my area this only validates by thinking about Essilor and who I think they are. They hire a rep who doesn't know ANYTHING about the eye care industry and knows NOTHING about lenses. He doesn't even know how to explain them from a marketing stand point. I have spoken to other opticians across the country who have had the same experiences with Essilor. My problem is that Essilor insults my intelligence as an optician by trying to tell me they have garbage product that THEY know is garbage but come into my office with pure propoganda and no technicle literature or even an once of real science behind their lenses and then tell me their lenses are the best simply because Essilor says so. The simply fact is Essilor is playing catch up to Hoya and Zeiss who are making true break throughs in the PAL market. The "S" series is FRONT MOLDED. How on earth can you say you have FreeForm with a FRONT MOLDED lens!? I am going to pass judgement on this lens because I know what to expect. Do we all remember Physio, Physio 360, Physio Enchanced, and Physio DRx? How many times to get it it right? How many times to remake, restart, relaunch, remarket, and respin the SAME product!? Why even have Physio DRx with a backside design if supposedly this "NEW" "S" series is on the FRONT? I am scratching my head at Essilor wondering just why they would go through all this trouble to make a backside design only to go BACKWARDS to a front side design again. Also, they say Physio Enchanced is a variable corridor. How do you have a variable corridor lens when you are using the EXACT same blank as the convention Physio that is FAR from a variable corridor? Does Essilor even know what a variable corridor is? This is what I mean. This is why I feel I can pass judgement. I am tired of Essilor's smoke and mirrors. This all boils down to ONE thing. Essilor does not have the patents that Hoya and Zeiss do. So, they make due with what they have. Essilor is and always will play catch up to everone else in the PAL world these days. The grandioso days of Varilux Comfort are gone but Essilor insists on riding that one out still. It's all Essilor marketing kids, and it's bad for ya!

Big V, ABOC-AC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not heard anything from my essilor rep regarding these lenses yet, other then "there are some new progressives coming out in July" Is Essilor actually claiming there will be zero distortion? Or is this just somthing an overly enthusiastic third party lab wrote on their facebook page?
    The quote above is from the FB page of Opti-Matrix of Huntsville, Alabama which is an Essilor owned lab.

From Luzerne's website.
    Luzerne Optical is Pleased to Present:
    Varilux-S Series – Limitless Vision Lenses

Launching July 2012
    Lens Styles:
    Varilux S 4D
    Varilux S Fit
    Varilux S Design

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just got some info on it. I'm a skeptic, however if it does what they say it will, which is give edge to edge (clear) vision, then hooray for the PAL world....but I have my doubts until I see it for myself (and even then, I wonder if it will be great for some RX's and not for others.)

The booklet I have says (among other things),... "The Result: Better retinal image matching and improved spatial perception, providing more expansive vision from edge to edge than ever before in a progressive lens." Sounds like a different "cool, high-tech" way of saying wider field of vision...which is the claim on almost all progressives that I have read about.

Thread Information