Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Varilux S Series

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    thanks! Great review and valuable input. How was the intermediate? Was the distance clear edge to edge? I will try mine out next week or two and post my impression too.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I've had my S 4D for 2 days now..Improved design? (Compared to Ipseo) Slightly. Particularly Distance, off axis. Very clear edge to edge. The lower, outer peripheral area is within .25 - .50 D of my distance power along the 180, but has almost +1.5D of astigmatic overage along the 90 (remember, this is the temporal, lower area). Basically very little swim effect.

Itermed. and near functional, not necessarily wider.

Yes, there is distortion, but it's mostly isolated to the left and right of the umbilic (outer/inner, lower periphery).

Bottom line: Very good lens, but only a slight improvement over Ipseo, and no, it's not revolutionary.

Rx; +.25 +1.00 x 80 +2.50 add

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fit a pt who was +1.00 OD and -2.00 with some cyl OS as a first time wearer, 2.25 add. She picked up saturday, and other than some double vision from the 3 diopter imbalance, she loved it. She saw no distortion at all. So, I am thus far pretty pleased with the lens. I have enjoyed Varilux products, and, yeah, of course they have marketing hype. Everyone who is trying to sell something does. What matters is how our patients see. :)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jennilou, Just out of curiosity, which version did you sell? The Design, Fit, or 4D?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Their products the last few years have been disappointing.

I hope they come out with something good, but when you start wearing other lenses, a lot of other lenses, you find Essilor is frankly now behind.
    The ipseo was actually a revolutionary design incorporating patients specific "gain" values into the lens design. The Ipseo used a ratio dubbed the gain which was the proportion of the eye rotation to head rotation to customize the design for the way that particular patient woud use his/her PALs. The HOYA mystyle now incorporates this type of data into their design as well, but uses a type of questionaire rather than a scientifically calculated value to accomplish the same thing.

I'm not a big E fan but I have to give credit where credit is due, they took a left when everyone else took a right. With great risk comes great reward and they have benefitted with many rewards over the years.

Also using a more customized horizontal optical modulation is a step ahead of other designs, we'll see that creeping into designs in the future and all of a sudden you won't be able to order a single lens without providing the other prescription. Currently we provide our labs with an Rx for the other eye when ordering one pair and that data is so that they can choose the proper base curves and incorporate the proper prism thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Bottom line: Very good lens, but only a slight improvement over Ipseo, and no, it's not revolutionary.
    Interesting analysis, thank you.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jspayneii View Post
    Jennilou, Just out of curiosity, which version did you sell? The Design, Fit, or 4D?
    I sold the 4D. I haven't heard from the other few that I sold, to see what they thought.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So I guess that the image matching doesn't work if she is seeing double.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not an OD, but I would blame that on the 3 diopter imbalance. Esp since it was getting better as she wore them

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For sure its the imbalance, even a 0.75D imbalance in the vertical meridian can lead to discomfort, My question is how can she read in the presence of diplopia? Does she close an eye? Take them off? And how long does it take to regain single vision. At least my initial fears that they have duplicated my work and patent pending method have been lessened (because it is possible to reduce the dynamic magnification (prismatic effect) without slab off prism and mitigate the diplopia.)
    Last edited by Peter J Shaw OD; 07-26-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Bad address email on file Psychobablr7's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I pressed the Unity Rep for more information regarding the design and the fabrication of his product and he ended up having a actual hissy fit (I kid you not!) and stormed out of my lab in a huff saying, "Well if you don't want to fit it, then fine! Don't!"
    +1 We must have the same rep-that exact same thing happened to us!
    Last edited by Psychobablr7; 08-10-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: left out a word

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    Just got some info on it. I'm a skeptic, however if it does what they say it will, which is give edge to edge (clear) vision, then hooray for the PAL world....but I have my doubts until I see it for myself (and even then, I wonder if it will be great for some RX's and not for others.)

The booklet I have says (among other things),... "The Result: Better retinal image matching and improved spatial perception, providing more expansive vision from edge to edge than ever before in a progressive lens." Sounds like a different "cool, high-tech" way of saying wider field of vision...which is the claim on almost all progressives that I have read about.
    Its a lofty claim, I can attest that the only lens company actually doing this is SHAW lens, we create iseikonic (equal image size) and isophoric (reduced prismatic effect) lenses for the mitigation of image difference with anisometropia. Souns like Essilor copied our marketing material.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Shaw OD View Post
    Its a lofty claim, I can attest that the only lens company actually doing this is SHAW lens, we create iseikonic (equal image size) and isophoric (reduced prismatic effect) lenses for the mitigation of image difference with anisometropia. Souns like Essilor copied our marketing material.

:poop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've dispensed a few of them so far, and patient response has been positive across the board - if not astounded. All were relatively low myopes, low adds and no large edge to edge demands from work environment or day to day use that were alluded to in lifestyle questioning. We haven't had any super wow moments with the first ones so far, but I believe it's far too early to draw any definitive conclusions yet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Shaw OD View Post
    For sure its the imbalance, even a 0.75D imbalance in the vertical meridian can lead to discomfort, My question is how can she read in the presence of diplopia? Does she close an eye? Take them off? And how long does it take to regain single vision. At least my initial fears that they have duplicated my work and patent pending method have been lessened (because it is possible to reduce the dynamic magnification (prismatic effect) without slab off prism and mitigate the diplopia.)
    Slab? did you say slab? Oh my such old technology. I have one slab in process right now and that is because it belongs to the husband of our OD. (dont want to rock the boat there)

Cannot remember the last slab I ordered. Something like that comes up I simply request the lab to reverse the base curves of the lens. If Rx power calles for a 4 base on the right and a 6 base on the left reverse them. Use the 6 base on the power for the right and the 4 base on the left lens power. Have yet to see it NOT work for the patient.

You then have no added expense of a slab and no slab line. But the boys in the lab lose bragging rights as to how pretty the slab would look if they did it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    We've dispensed a few of them so far, and patient response has been positive across the board - if not astounded. All were relatively low myopes, low adds and no large edge to edge demands from work environment or day to day use that were alluded to in lifestyle questioning. We haven't had any super wow moments with the first ones so far, but I believe it's far too early to draw any definitive conclusions yet.

Were they all in polycarbonate?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Were they all in polycarbonate?

Yep. Triple thick too! With extra CA added for good measure in the peripheries! Cause that's how optical ninjas roll...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We've had a couple big wows--one from our Dr./owner--and one almost immediate non-adapt from our most persnickety patient.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marketing! Said it for years. Essilors the one laughing all the way to the Bank.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    We've had a couple big wows--one from our Dr./owner--and one almost immediate non-adapt from our most persnickety patient.
    Curious- What were the rx's?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which ones have you used? The regular S or the S fit or the S 4D?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Which ones have you used? The regular S or the S fit or the S 4D?
    All three were the fit as we don't have the camera/computer in office currently. I heard back from our second patient yesterday after a couple weeks in her lenses. She's an active outdoor type who's all over the mountain and canyons in both summer and winter. She says she's noticed a "smoother" field of vision overall, and her periphery is noticeably more comfortable than two previous PALs. One was a first generation Physio, the other was a local chains 'house' brand. At any rate, the feedback continues to be positive so far.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Curious- What were the rx's?
    A very wide variety.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    What kind of lens/Rx change were they coming from?

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our Essilor regional rep-guy came in this week to show me the new Varilux S lenses. Like a lot of you on this forum, I was VERY skeptical, and assumed much of the lens would be "marketing based". I have to say I AM IMPRESSED. I was shown an uncut lens blank, 4 base, (lens was not surfaced yet). There is LITTLE to NO swim AT ALL- the lens is seamless down through the reading area at the bottom, as well.

I am eager to actually fit one of our patients in this lens and see what they think. It is true that the 4D version is only compatible for use with the VISIOFFICE tool, but the other styles can be fitted by taking panto/wrap/vertex measurements like many of the enhanced-fit digital progressives. Varilux S is also TRUE DIGITAL- both sides of the lens are digitally generated to precisely match PD, etc.

I cannot tell you how impressive I found this technology. I began my Optical career as a lab technician, and I am familiar with many different brands and styles of PAL lenses out there... nothing I have see thus far has EVER come close to how CRISPY CLEAR these Varilux S fancy pants lenses are!! I am anxious to hear what other dispensing Opticians think after they have actually fitted someone in this new Essilor product. We will see how much of this is HYPE and how much of what Essilor claims is really true!

=D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I could not agree more, thanks for the realistic viewpoint.

Oops, did not reply with quote- apologies. I appreciate the feedback from those of you who listen to their patient's feedback, rather than getting stuck on marketing, technical details, etc.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Verunica; 09-21-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot to quote

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tried a comparison between the Varilux S Design series lens and the Seiko Surmount for myself. Both the same Rx. I did not see too much of a difference between the two although the "S" was a little clearer in the extreme periphery. Seeing that I have been dispensing free form lenses for about 2 1/2 years, I cannot take the chance that I would have a patient pay $150 more for this lens and not see a true benefit from it going into this from a good free form lens. Now, the "4D" may be better but, with my location, I need to wait for the price to come down.

Rx: +0.25 -1.00 x50
    -0.50 -1.25 x125
    Add: +2.25
    Last edited by SailorEd; 09-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Thread Information