Thread: Opening an opthalmic dispensary

Bad address email on file LicensedOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Opening an opthalmic dispensary

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some insight from all of you experienced professionals. I've been in the business as a licensed optician for 7 years now. I am considering opening my own opthalmic dispensary in Alberta. I am doing all my research right now on starting the right way. Any advice is appreciated. Also if anyone knows the rule of thumb of an OD being hired to work for an optician. I read somewhere that's against the regulations of the association but I know of an opthalmic dispensary that has a part time OD that does eye exams in their shop. Im curious why
    Last edited by LicensedOptician; 05-18-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is my opinion the reason why is:

1) A lot of newbie ods don't want to work hard and long hours.....clock-punchers.....yes?
    2) A lot of newbie ods can't afford to open own practices.....yes.
    3) A lot of the general public wants/conditioned to convenience eyewear buying......witness end of supermarket checkout line........."Want fries wit dat?"
    4) Most regulations are stepped around..........witness separate entrance to office in mall operations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Insight.....you are a ophthalmic dispenser.
    Last edited by uncut; 05-19-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: a/an change

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some 36 years of experience has taught me that brining in an OD into your optical shop is a BAD idea. Trust me when I tell you that as soon as the OD comes to the realization that you need him more than he needs you..........

Also, I have never had an optical in any state where an OD can "work" for an optician.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Ohio they do

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ditto...Alabama. Have 4 working ad independent contractors.

Bad address email on file LicensedOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting Thanks for the input everyone. I still have lots to learn in order to have success. I'm 100% confident on the opticia side of things but only 50% with starting up the business. I don't want to miss any detail and have all my grounds covered. I'm in the process of raising capital but did anyone apply for grants as well for small businesses?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In the States the laws vary with each state. Some states allow direct employment by an optician or a lay person, but most states only allow optometrists to be employed by other optometrists or ophthalmologists. This is probably how it is up north. The way to get around this is to rent or lease an exam space to the doc. Most often the rent is reasonable for the doc and helps cover the overhead. Having a doctor providing patients to the optical definitely increases your business. It is important to clearly lay out the details of the arrangement prior to the lease being signed.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Some 36 years of experience has taught me that brining in an OD into your optical shop is a BAD idea. Trust me when I tell you that as soon as the OD comes to the realization that you need him more than he needs you..........

Also, I have never had an optical in any state where an OD can "work" for an optician.
    I started out without an OD. I lasted 7 months. I was down to my last $3800, and I took $2500 of it and bought an old lane. I took the rest of the money and spent it on advertising to promote the doctor.

A month later, on the 4th of July, we set up a huge grill in front of the office, and advertised "Free Hot Dogs and Lemonade" In order to get the free hot dogs, you had to go into the office, and get a ticket from...you got it, the OD.

We went through 60 pounds of hot dogs, and the OD said he never met so many people in his life. My sister made appointments that day, even though we weren't open for business. She made 17 that day, but the following weeks booked up quickly. (The OD was only there one and a half days per week).

Six months later, I had enough money to put a down payment on a brand new Woodlyn lane. Six months after that, we expanded to a bigger space in the town 15 miles down the road.

I would NEVER think that bringing an OD into an office would be a bad idea. If you make it mutually profitable, how could it NOT work out? Of course, just like hiring someone, you have to interview and get an OD that reflects your style of business, and that you can relate to. I know too many opticians that bring in ODs just because they are ODs, and then they realize that they're not a good match for the practice.

The ODs at my offices don't (can't) work FOR me. They work with me. Big difference.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I started out without an OD. I lasted 7 months. I was down to my last $3800, and I took $2500 of it and bought an old lane. I took the rest of the money and spent it on advertising to promote the doctor.

A month later, on the 4th of July, we set up a huge grill in front of the office, and advertised "Free Hot Dogs and Lemonade" In order to get the free hot dogs, you had to go into the office, and get a ticket from...you got it, the OD.

We went through 60 pounds of hot dogs, and the OD said he never met so many people in his life. My sister made appointments that day, even though we weren't open for business. She made 17 that day, but the following weeks booked up quickly. (The OD was only there one and a half days per week).

Six months later, I had enough money to put a down payment on a brand new Woodlyn lane. Six months after that, we expanded to a bigger space in the town 15 miles down the road.

I would NEVER think that bringing an OD into an office would be a bad idea. If you make it mutually profitable, how could it NOT work out? Of course, just like hiring someone, you have to interview and get an OD that reflects your style of business, and that you can relate to. I know too many opticians that bring in ODs just because they are ODs, and then they realize that they're not a good match for the practice.

The ODs at my offices don't (can't) work FOR me. They work with me. Big difference.
    We gave away wine and shrimp, but you need an OD! Trust us when we tell you and you must make them sign a non-compete so they don't buildit up and take it down the road.

Listen to Johns!
    Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Non compete won't hold, physician vs lay corporation is not competition.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We gave away wine and shrimp, but you need an OD! Trust us when we tell you and you must make them sign a non-compete so they don't buildit up and take it down the road.

Listen to Johns!
    Craig
    I talked to a bunch of attorneys that agreed that a non-compete wouldn't hold. I do a handshake agreement, and tell them that if they want to open up across the street, they were more than welcome to. I am so confident in our abilities, that they would have a difficult time competing against us.

On a side note, one of my ODs DID open up in the next town over, and I helped him set his office up. I even sold him the displays, the frames, and the lane. He didn't make it, went bust, and moved down south to practice w/ a fellow optiboarder.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    On a side note, one of my ODs DID open up in the next town over, and I helped him set his office up. I even sold him the displays, the frames, and the lane. He didn't make it, went bust, and moved down south to practice w/ a fellow optiboarder.
    ie,

Optiboard Membership > Doctorate

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LicensedOptician View Post
    Interesting Thanks for the input everyone. I still have lots to learn in order to have success. I'm 100% confident on the opticia side of things but only 50% with starting up the business. I don't want to miss any detail and have all my grounds covered. I'm in the process of raising capital but did anyone apply for grants as well for small businesses?
    The business side of it is the hard part, and I think start up is the easiest part of that. Have you run an optical for someone else before?

Thread Information