Thread: Transitions Vantage first impressions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Transitions Vantage first impressions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We just got our first set of Transitions Vantage lenses in the office today! SV poly set in a Rudy Project Spyllo frame, so it's my first experience with both frame and lens product. (The Spyllo is fabulous, by the way. Fab. U. Lous.) My observations on Vantage fall into three categories:

The Good: I've never seen a photochromic lens darken so swiftly. Wow. Twice as fast as the Transitions VI lenses I was wearing outside while checking out the Vantage. And it is legitimately cool to look at car windshields through the lens as it darkens, watching the lens get dark and the reflections on the windows fade.

The Bad: Dang, this is an expensive lens. We charge $95 for standard Transitions and XTRActive, and the lab cost for Vantage is so high that we're going to have to charge $150 for it. The only lens add-ons of comparable price for me are hyper-high-index lenses and Crizal Saphire. This is definitely a luxury item.

The Ugly: I've also never seen a photochromic lens lighten so slowly. Ugh. 1980s-era PGX was faster. 10 minutes after coming back inside, it's still showing about a 30% tint. This is going to be the dealbreaker for many potential buyers, and pretty much eliminates everyday-wear as an option for this lens, in my opinion. For an athletic frame, and for people with multiple pairs, yes. As a one-and-only pair, the slow lightening is a potentially major inconvenience.

I'll be getting myself a pair when my lab can get it in 1.67 SV next month (in a Rudy Project Maya Sport Utility Frame, so for a primarily outdoor athletic function), and I'm sure my opinion will be refined by personal use. But my previous enthusiasm for this product has been seriously tempered by the slow lightening factor. I hope the eventual Transitions Vantage II will show some improvement in that area, as well as in the cost. Lower the price and speed up the lightening and this product will become a game-changer. Right now, it's not quite there yet.

I'm very interested in hearing other opinions.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 05-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information