Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transitions Vantage first impressions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Why not Drivewear, then? Excellent in all conditions, except for at night, with the amber hue aiding contrast. I know which I would rather wear if it started to rain.

I'm not against Vantage by the way, I would just be interested in your reply.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Why not Drivewear, then? Excellent in all conditions, except for at night, with the amber hue aiding contrast. I know which I would rather wear if it started to rain.

I'm not against Vantage by the way, I would just be interested in your reply.
    Drivewear isn't available in 1.67 (which I need), and as you mentioned is no good at night. I'm looking to get lenses for a rugged pair of outdoorsy Rudy Project glasses, and I need the wind shield feature for potential night cycling.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I do love DriveWear, though. Great product. If I could get it in my RX I would.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Why would you need your lenses to be thin rather than strong (i.e. poly) in rugged outdoor glasses?

Again, I'm genuinely interested!

The night thing, of course, is a valid point, but to a patient who may not want too many pairs of glasses, surely Drivewear will be more versatile, since it is full sunwear and a driving lens as well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Why would you need your lenses to be thin rather than strong (i.e. poly) in rugged outdoor glasses?

Again, I'm genuinely interested!

The night thing, of course, is a valid point, but to a patient who may not want too many pairs of glasses, surely Drivewear will be more versatile, since it is full sunwear and a driving lens as well.
    1.67 is strong, as well as thin. The activities I'm using them for are non-impact; if I was getting sport goggles for baseball or football I might choose differently, or at least get safety thickness. And my -9.25 lenses would be intolerable to look through with poly's low clarity.

DriveWear's color is a turn-off for a lot of my patients. Most opt for Transitions in their everyday glasses and polarized suns.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [QUOTE=Robert_S;428720]Why not Drivewear, then? Excellent in all conditions, except for at night, with the amber hue aiding contrast. I know which I would rather wear if it started to rain.
    QUOTE]
    Actually, I am already noticing that I wear my drivewear more, especially during the rainy drive home.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had a number of patients get drivewear lately and tell me that they are light enough to wear inside and to drive in at night. No I did not advise them to drive wearing them at night.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    1.67 is strong, as well as thin. The activities I'm using them for are non-impact; if I was getting sport goggles for baseball or football I might choose differently, or at least get safety thickness. And my -9.25 lenses would be intolerable to look through with poly's low clarity.

DriveWear's color is a turn-off for a lot of my patients. Most opt for Transitions in their everyday glasses and polarized suns.
    I agree, absolutely, that most people would choose regular polarized lenses; drivewear is a relatively niche product, but then so is vantage, by the sounds of things.

My lab uses a lot of trivex, so I am certainly no fan of poly, but I would challenge that you could notice a difference in abbe of 32 (1.67) from 30 (poly). Having said that, with everything else you've said, I agree that 1.67 is probably best.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, when the 1.67 SV finally arrives...

It is available

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I have had a number of patients get drivewear lately and tell me that they are light enough to wear inside and to drive in at night. No I did not advise them to drive wearing them at night.

Chip
    Actually, they are correct. I don't ADVISE this either, however it can easily be done. They are great lenses.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really love my Drivewear but their lightest color is still a light sunglasses tint. And yeah, the lightest color is kinda ugly. I think they look fine when darker.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am just returning from a 2 week vacation- longest ever- in Alaska and the Vantage were made for the trip; love em!
    I have extractive with me and my brown polarized transitions, but almost always wore the Vantage lenses.
    The are not sunglasses, but they do a great job as a dark transitions and the polarization is a definite advantage over the Xtractive.
    They do not work in a rental car with no tint and I wanted to confirm that because my cars in FLorida have tinted windows even on the windshield( yes it is legal and blocks the heat, not the light).

Other than in the car and if you wear a hat, they would satisfy most of the world while outdoors. It is a much nicer product in my opinion than the Drivewear. I have a pair in the drawer and never wear them.

It is expensive and I charge $200 over clear trivex in a progressive with $150 on SV.

Craig

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone have a Transition vantage display willing to sell? I think it is an exciting rooduct but waiting 6 weeks to recieve?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clinton View Post
    Anyone have a Transition vantage display willing to sell? I think it is an exciting rooduct but waiting 6 weeks to recieve?

I have one!

I am only about 40 minutes away from you and could deliver it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I am just returning from a 2 week vacation- longest ever- in Alaska and the Vantage were made for the trip; love em!
    I have extractive with me and my brown polarized transitions, but almost always wore the Vantage lenses.
    The are not sunglasses, but they do a great job as a dark transitions and the polarization is a definite advantage over the Xtractive.
    They do not work in a rental car with no tint and I wanted to confirm that because my cars in FLorida have tinted windows even on the windshield( yes it is legal and blocks the heat, not the light).

Other than in the car and if you wear a hat, they would satisfy most of the world while outdoors. It is a much nicer product in my opinion than the Drivewear. I have a pair in the drawer and never wear them.

It is expensive and I charge $200 over clear trivex in a progressive with $150 on SV.

Craig
    That's great to hear. I can't wait to get mine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Playing around with a sample today and finding it quite dark outside here(patchy clouds and 68 degrees) Slow fade time and I would describe it's polarized quality as "fair". More work and reading to do.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have sold this to several customers, who actually love it! We do alot of insurances so actually works fine. Did the Transition class on line about the different transitions including the Vantage. They stated it is inbetween the Transition VI and the Extra Active as far as change in darkness and lightening. And they recommend it for certain people not all. Very interesting. And funny how Essilor has it in Poly and Zeiss doesn't.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Have tested my Vantage lenses for about a week. My opinions here are just from my observations without any influence from the few patients we've had wear this (the Vantage specifically).

I'm remaking them without Transitions. Now I am very careful to whom I sell these and so am very lucky not to need to take advantage of the Transitions guarantee. But I've never been interested for myself and wanted to try this.

The color indoors was a little darker than expected (oh and these are SV, Poly with Avance) and frankly, I did not enjoy looking through the tint. In fact, the color had a little green to it. (Not exactly similar, but I kept thinking of Drive-wear.)

It did get dark reasonable quickly outside. I can see why many would like the outdoor color. Coming inside though to lighten, as said in some comments, took quite some time- 5 to 10 minutes. And still, the indoor color. No thank you.

Polarization? Yes, it works. Maybe even a little beneficial. But not that much. Reflection reduction was OK at best.
    I live where it is bright sun most of the time, and this past week we've even had some rain. So I've tried the lenses in very different weather/lighting conditions. And HOT as well so I've taken that into consideration.

I think that in much the same as Transitions and the XtraActive, the Vantage can be good for the right patient. We have patients that are well educated about the pro's and con's of this style of lens. I'll continue to promote this to the right patient, but only to the right patient.

As long as I don't have to wear it! I promise, I really did try to keep an open mind when testing this- it's just not for me.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good stuff!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have tested these at several offices. After 20 minutes direct exposure in sunlight, I am only able to get about 20-30% effective polarization when compared to/ cross polarized with a traditional Grey C polarized sunlens. It may be an enhanced version of transitions technology, but calling it polarized seems to be a stretch.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I sell about 10-15 pairs a week. It's a great lens and from my personal experience the optics at night are great. Should be sold as a front line product offered in all daily wear glasses.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vantage

Have had mine for a week now. SV poly with Purecoat.

General observations:

Slight tint indoors: I love it. It is similar to the XtraActive indoors. Just a shade lighter than a Grey 1. I like it because it dims the glare from the computer screen. We have very bright fluorescent lighting at work and I love the residual tint for this reason.

Tint outdoors: gets to a Grey 2 pretty quickly. Can see it block a little glare as far as polarization goes, but no where close to a standard polarized lens.

Fade time: while they turn dark quickly I agree with others comments that it takes a few minutes to get clear. About 6-7 minutes. While this doesn't bother me personally, I can see how others may not like it so much.

Final thoughts: While I have separate pairs of sunglasses for driving, I have enjoyed these lenses thus far. I find the most use out of them around 5 or 6 when it's still light out but the suns setting in an hour or two and I don't wanna swap between clear and sunglasses if I'm somewhere going in and out of buildings (outdoor shopping mall).

-Crazy

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

vantage /transitions questions?

Do the Vantage lenses have a tint indoors? Do they really take longer to get untinted than the Transitions VI? Do transitions lenses "wear out"?
    thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    last week i was actually comp'd a set of Vantage lenses. my chief complaint is how slow they darken/lighten in very cold temperatures. i saw something on this thread about it taking more than 10 minutes clear up? try living in Alaska where its cold as hell right now. i have been in my office for 30 minutes and im still at about 25% darkness.... as far as them darkening when you step outside it takes about 10 minutes to actually darken in the cold here. the temperature factor will definitely discourage many potential "frozen north" customers. the polarization is nice, but i am about to just go back to wearing contacts and my really nice plano's over them. this summer my opinion may change, but these are not the greatest for low temperatures.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffam View Post
    last week i was actually comp'd a set of Vantage lenses. my chief complaint is how slow they darken/lighten in very cold temperatures. i saw something on this thread about it taking more than 10 minutes clear up? try living in Alaska where its cold as hell right now. i have been in my office for 30 minutes and im still at about 25% darkness.... as far as them darkening when you step outside it takes about 10 minutes to actually darken in the cold here. the temperature factor will definitely discourage many potential "frozen north" customers. the polarization is nice, but i am about to just go back to wearing contacts and my really nice plano's over them. this summer my opinion may change, but these are not the greatest for low temperatures.
    Interesting. Cold actually increases both the density and rate of darkening of a photochromic molecule. I'm wondering if you somehow ended up with a defective set? While we haven't sold this lens by the hundreds as yet, we have had a few who have used them in some pretty extreme temp and environmental conditions. So far, no one we've talked to has had any problems or complaints with the product to date. Remember it's not a sunglass, and it certainly isn't the right tech for everyone. But there are many who are getting on with this lens quite well.

Thread Information