Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transitions Vantage first impressions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    This product hasn't arrived in the UK yet. It sounds as though for the majority of people a separate pair of sunglasses will still be the best choice. In fact, I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it would be advantageous over separate pairs. Anybody think of one??

But once they improve the reaction speed it should replace regular transitions completely.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would be advantageous for people that can't keep up with two pair of glasses. Also for patient with AR who can't leave thier clear glasses in the hot car when fishing in sunglasses.
    Also keeps patient down to the cost of only one frame, probably less lens expense also.

Having said this, one good pair of clear glasses and one good pair of polarized glasses is a much better solution.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Well the most significant problem I would forsee would be that almost no ophthalmic frame, unless the Px wants to look ridiculous, would provide anywhere near as good coverage as a decent sunglass could. Most ophthalmic frames aren't very wrapped, and there's not much point in lenses which eliminate glare if light can still get in at the top or bottom of the frame, or the periphery.

Having said that, if they matched the quality of regular transtions but incorporated polarization, I would recommend them all day long... but apparently, they don't.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Well the most significant problem I would forsee would be that almost no ophthalmic frame, unless the Px wants to look ridiculous, would provide anywhere near as good coverage as a decent sunglass could. Most ophthalmic frames aren't very wrapped, and there's not much point in lenses which eliminate glare if light can still get in at the top or bottom of the frame, or the periphery.

Having said that, if they matched the quality of regular transtions but incorporated polarization, I would recommend them all day long... but apparently, they don't.

Funny, we have people come in all the time getting wrap Ray-ban and Oakley in transitions. They love them. Most of our customers are international though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by austicati0n View Post
    Funny, we have people come in all the time getting wrap Ray-ban and Oakley in transitions. They love them. Most of our customers are international though.
    We do too, in our Nike ophthalmic range for example, but even then they tend not to be big enough at the top or bottom to function as a proper sunglass would.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    On the first few Vantage I have seen come through, the AR stacks have a slightly different residual color, a little more yellow on the green AR's. Anyone else notice this?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    sharpstick777: I'm not sure what the mechanism would be for a different residual color. The Vantage process uses exactly the same hard coats as other Transitions technology, and the AR coats are run in the same cycle as other products of the same base material. Is what you are seeing a result of the slight residual tint in the unactivated state?
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They work... first of its kind...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'm talking about actual Sunglass frames they will get Transitions in. A popular one is people getting Transitions in a Flak Jacket or Jawbone. I think it looks hideous, but they love it. All that matters..

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    They work... first of its kind...
    Must admit that, yes. Mine are delayed three weeks, sadly. Again, the problem with being the first of its kind... I'm sure I'll have a ton to say after I get mine and take them out cycling.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I got the kit from Transitions that I ordered through a link I got on here. It's pretty cool. I find it more effective to use the activated lens with a Maui Jim polage that we have compared to the one that Transitions sent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    sharpstick777: I'm not sure what the mechanism would be for a different residual color. The Vantage process uses exactly the same hard coats as other Transitions technology, and the AR coats are run in the same cycle as other products of the same base material. Is what you are seeing a result of the slight residual tint in the unactivated state?
    No, its not a residual issue. Its very slight, no patients and most opticians won't notice, but the residual color in some AR's is slighty different. I have only compared a few, but yes it should be the same.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've fit my first patient into them, and he's already returned them. With Crizal AR in a Comfort DRx, they had an irridescent purple sheen to them and they don't get dark enough or light enough, not to mention the time it takes to transition, and for him they aren't even close to polarized enough. We're refitting him into a Comfort Enhanced with Transitions XtraActive and a second pair of polarized lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've fit three and they're all delighted. But they all knew what they were getting, and two of them also have prescription sunglasses.

No transitions product is a substitute for dedicated sunglasses, and any optician who markets them as such is doing their patients a serious disservice.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just fit two patients with the Vantage yesterday. Made sure they knew it's not a substitute for sunglasses. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

No transitions product is a substitute for dedicated sunglasses, and any optician who markets them as such is doing their patients a serious disservice.

Agreed.

How frustrating is it, though, when a patient comes in wearing a photochromic lens (usually not a decent one either), and you bring up sunglasses, and they say very proudly, "I don't need sunglasses; I have these!".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel42486 View Post
    ...., they had an irridescent purple sheen to them .....
    Welcome Rachel42486 to Optiboard.
    Some one else who's see's the AR's coming out slightly different? Thanks for sharing.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must say I'm disapointed in the Vantage. I have two jobs from two different labs and both have the same residual indoor tint like the Extra. I wear Transitions VI and there's a significant darker indoor tint to the Vantage. This could be another deal breaker like the long fade back time.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Vantage lenses are not too dark indoors but they do not get very dark outside. Maybe it's too hot right now. They may work better this fall/winter !

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    My Vantage lenses are not too dark indoors but they do not get very dark outside. Maybe it's too hot right now. They may work better this fall/winter !
    Do they seem too light looking through them? I went to a talk Transition did and they say it is a bit lighter but since it is polarized it seems darker looking through it.

I have a pair of Drivewear glasses and they usually aren't real dark but they work great.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Do they seem too light looking through them? I went to a talk Transition did and they say it is a bit lighter but since it is polarized it seems darker looking through it.

I have a pair of Drivewear glasses and they usually aren't real dark but they work great.
    Yes, they are not dark enough to look through. The polarization seems to be MAYBE around a grey A. THey don't seem any better than Trans VI.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the Vantage isn't a substitute for sunglasses, what is it?
    Something like the early colored photochromics where we were supposed to say: "This not a sunglass, these are fashion tints?"

Are we supposed to sell it so that in a few generations the Mfg. can afford to develop it to the point where it is a substitute for sunglasses?

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If the Vantage isn't a substitute for sunglasses, what is it? Something like the early colored photochromics where we were supposed to say: "This not a sunglass, these are fashion tints?"

Are we supposed to sell it so that in a few generations the Mfg. can afford to develop it to the point where it is a substitute for sunglasses?

Chip
    If we wait for a product to work so well it's indistinguishable from magic, we will be putting our patients in non-AR CR-39 single vision and flat top bifocals for many more years. Also, manufacturers will have no financial incentive to continue to work out the kinks in new products if there are no early adopters. As long as we are transparent with our patients about the functions, advantages, and drawbacks of every product we are dispensing to them, they will see it as technology, not as something that just kind of happens to their vision. This, I believe, is the strongest argument against such dumbed-down terminology as "no-glare" and "invisible bifocals."

I tell my patients, "Transitions aren't a sunglass product. They are an eyeglass product, a convenience product, an eye health product." As a result, I sell a crapton of both Transitions and polarized sunglasses. Expecting Transitions to take the place of dedicated sunglasses is like expecting progressives to take the place of dedicated computer lenses. Sure, it does most of what the specialty lens in question does, but the specialty lens does it twice as well.

As long as Transitions are UV-activated (the only practical way to make the technology work), they will not work in a car, and will not replace sunglasses. As long as Transitions don't go from nearly-100%-transparent indoors to 70-80% polarized outdoors, they will not replace sunglasses.

It seems to me that the next step is something like the emPower lens: swipe the temple and you activate the tint.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 06-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    If we wait for a product to work so well it's indistinguishable from magic, we will be putting our patients in non-AR CR-39 single vision and flat top bifocals for many more years. Also, manufacturers will have no financial incentive to continue to work out the kinks in new products if there are no early adopters. As long as we are transparent with our patients about the functions, advantages, and drawbacks of every product we are dispensing to them, they will see it as technology, not as something that just kind of happens to their vision. This, I believe, is the strongest argument against such dumbed-down terminology as "no-glare" and "invisible bifocals."

I tell my patients, "Transitions aren't a sunglass product. They are an eyeglass product, a convenience product, an eye health product." As a result, I sell a crapton of both Transitions and polarized sunglasses. Expecting Transitions to take the place of dedicated sunglasses is like expecting progressives to take the place of dedicated computer lenses. Sure, it does most of what the specialty lens in question does, but the specialty lens does it twice as well.

As long as Transitions are UV-activated (the only practical way to make the technology work), they will not work in a car, and will not replace sunglasses. As long as Transitions don't go from nearly-100%-transparent indoors to 70-80% polarized outdoors, they will not replace sunglasses.

It seems to me that the next step is something like the emPower lens: swipe the temple and you activate the tint.
    Were you sitting in on our Vantage lunch and learn? Couldn't say it better. WE just rolled them out and I think we've done 4 so far this week. I'm thinking they are going to be perfect for camping. (Cuz who wants to switch clear and sunglasses when one's had too many drinks?)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Were you sitting in on our Vantage lunch and learn? Couldn't say it better. WE just rolled them out and I think we've done 4 so far this week. I'm thinking they are going to be perfect for camping. (Cuz who wants to switch clear and sunglasses when one's had too many drinks?)
    I'm getting them for exclusively outdoor use. They're going to rule for hiking, camping, cycling, and running. You know, when the 1.67 SV finally arrives...

Educated patients with reasonable expectations = happy patients = profitable patients.

Thread Information