Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transitions Vantage first impressions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    ...Your complimentary adult libation will be in the mail to compensate you for your efforts!
    Fezz, I'll need that by 8:00 am 5/20/2012. ( Another classified experiment )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll add that all test lenses were poly w/AR

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Awesome science experiment!

My lenses are about a year old, Transitions VI Brown in 1.67 with Avance. I'll perform more experiments as more Vantage product crosses my desk.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just sold my first pairs to a couple. Both Trivex w/AR I will keep let you know how they like them after dispense!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivex? My lab told me plastic and poly with 1.67 coming next month.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Two lenses held at 90* darkened maybe 50%, even if they were polarized to a useful degree they're not dark enough in the sun and completely clear in the car (10 minutes after you've walked though the sun anyway). I can not for the life of me determine what the point is.

I saw it available in "Aris" and "Phoenix" on opticom.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Have a pair of Phoenix on order for our Doc to wear in a pair of Hilco Bling goggles which are specific to riding her scooter. Can't possibly think of a better use.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Vantage is available in Plastic, Poly, and Trivex. Hoya currently offers the Summit ECP and Summit CD in Trivex. It is also available in the Shamir Spectrum and Autograph II.

The 1.67 is set to be released on June 5th. I believe this will be released in the Essilor Ideal, Comfort DRX and Physio DRX, as well as Shamir Spectrum and Autograph II.

James

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogu View Post
    Two lenses held at 90* darkened maybe 50%, even if they were polarized to a useful degree they're not dark enough in the sun and completely clear in the car (10 minutes after you've walked though the sun anyway). I can not for the life of me determine what the point is.

I saw it available in "Aris" and "Phoenix" on opticom.
    Honestly, this opinion smacks so much of the same sour-grapes we hear from clients who decline Transitions because "they don't get (fully) dark in the car" and "they aren't (absolutely) clear indoors)".

Sheesh.

B

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jspayneii View Post
    Vantage is available in Plastic, Poly, and Trivex. Hoya currently offers the Summit ECP and Summit CD in Trivex. It is also available in the Shamir Spectrum and Autograph II.
    Okay, that's what I figured, Hoya offers it in Trivex but not Essilor and our main lab is an Essilor lab. Before I started working here the main lab was Hoya but they started having a lot of issues with the lab and switched.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We just got our first pair back in Phoenix. Honestly can't distinguish it from my own pair of transitions in terms of how clear it is in office.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogu View Post
    The point is identical to the point of polarized sunglasses versus non-polarized.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Okay, that's what I figured, Hoya offers it in Trivex but not Essilor and our main lab is an Essilor lab. Before I started working here the main lab was Hoya but they started having a lot of issues with the lab and switched.
    Should you ever have a desire to try an independent lab that manufactures Hoya, Essilor, Zeiss, and private label feeform PAL's in-house, please let me know and I will provide you with a couple of premium labs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

YES Trivex! Hmm.. I thought the West Coast was always the last to get all the 'cool' stuff... Learn something new EVERYDAY!!!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When will the opticians and optometrists will stop thinking about their patients budget and start recommending the best product available to their patients? You are not an accountant... You are an eyecare professional who should offer the best for the patient related to their needs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    When will the opticians and optometrists will stop thinking about their patients budget and start recommending the best product available to their patients? You are not an accountant... You are an eyecare professional who should offer the best for the patient related to their needs.
    I don't believe that their intention is to not recommend the product. I believe they are trying to identify who the target patient is. I know I am trying to figure it out so that we can better help our ECPs.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jspayneii View Post
    I don't believe that their intention is to not recommend the product. I believe they are trying to identify who the target patient is. I know I am trying to figure it out so that we can better help our ECPs.
    If I believe it is the best product for my patient I will offer it doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. Pair of lenses help you see the world you are living in and the quality of that lens determines how well you see all the good things in life. To me that is priceless. If you show your patient you are looking out for their best interest they will buy it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I always recommend the best products for my patient, and they very frequently take my recommendations. But $150 is inarguably a very premium price for a lens add-on, particularly one that takes 10+ minutes to lighten up. I tell my patients the benefits and drawbacks of all my products, then tell them the price and let them decide.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Finally got mine! They were for a VERY specific use - fishing/kayaking late in the afternoon into the evening. They work very well for this purpose. They do not replace my favorites (DriveWear, BTW), but I can drive home with relatively clear glasses, and still have the polarization earlier when the light was brighter and coming from the west. They do exactly what I wanted them to do. However - I have glasses that are task specific for almost everything, and these could be a hard sell for the average consumer. My main concern is what will they "do" 6 mos. from now - spoken from a veteran of the first edition Transitions.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would this "best product" really be a better product for the patient than a pair if clear lenses and a good pair of polarised Rx glasses. Or a pair of regular transitions and a serious pair of polarized suns?
    Does being more profitable make it the "best" product for the patient?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mine are Trivex - I hate Poly!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Would this "best product" really be a better product for the patient than a pair if clear lenses and a good pair of polarised Rx glasses. Or a pair of regular transitions and a serious pair of polarized suns?

Chip
    The only thing I have against clip-ons is that there is more for the patient to misplace or lose. Second pairs are a big plus, but I was looking for something more specialized that would eliminate a second pair for a unique purpose. I will present these to patients with all of the caveats etc. I am sure there is a niche market for these.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Chip
    I am putting them into a Rudy Project Maya. It is an absolutely perfect lens for the athletic functions I'm going to use them for.

Many of my Transitions patients also buy polarized sunglasses. We make it very clear that Transitions is not a sunglass product, it's an eyeglass product.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip
    I didn't say it is the best product. If it is the best product for the patient I will recommend it but if I think there are better options I will recommend those. I don't know how you work but for me it is all about what is best for the patient. I don't care what is more profitable.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by misterindependent View Post
    Should you ever have a desire to try an independent lab that manufactures Hoya, Essilor, Zeiss, and private label feeform PAL's in-house, please let me know and I will provide you with a couple of premium labs.
    My main lab was an independant and they did a great job. Then they were bought by the evil empire and have slowly been going down hill ever since. Not to mention that we can no longer get competitor's products. I'm definately ready to try someone else (also looking for a stock lens supplier). Who would you recommend for all the major brands?

Thread Information