Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling standard plastic- do you much?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Selling standard plastic- do you much?

Do you sell much cr-39 where you work? I don't sell a lot but I do some for light corrections or for people who don't want to spend as much.

About a month ago my boss decided we shouldn't offer it, just start with poly or trivex. He says most places don't sell it anymore. Of course we can if we really need to but to try not to. I'm not really happy about this and wonder if it really is as common as he says.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I can't really say much because of the specialty work that I do, but most of the local labs are still buying large quantities of CR-39

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Do you sell much cr-39 where you work? I don't sell a lot but I do some for light corrections or for people who don't want to spend as much.

About a month ago my boss decided we shouldn't offer it, just start with poly or trivex. He says most places don't sell it anymore. Of course we can if we really need to but to try not to. I'm not really happy about this and wonder if it really is as common as he says.
    I sell a fair amount, about 40%. I will do almost anything to keep a high cyl customer out of poly, and sometimes CR39 is really all someone needs. I may get blasted here for that one, but a big part of what gets me out the door in the morning is making sure I'm providing the best solution, whether it costs a lot or not. So do I order freeform cr39 with a premium ar? You bet. I know a lot of places will not offer freeform in cr39, just upgrade the whole order, but that's not me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other than our making more money, how does anything (not including glass) benfit the customer more than CR-39? Now I know other plastics are thinner, lighter and more resistant to implact. But when none of the above is a factor why would you "upgrade"
    from CR-39. It probably being optically superior and more scratch resistant?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Other than our making more money, how does anything (not including glass) benfit the customer more than CR-39? Now I know other plastics are thinner, lighter and more resistant to implact. But when none of the above is a factor why would you "upgrade"
    from CR-39. It probably being optically superior and more scratch resistant?

Chip
    The salesgirls at the optical discount chain across the highway from me do it because they believe poly is better. Fantastic company training, there. I spend a lot of time re-educating customers about eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing wrong with using poly. Almost the same cost as CR, Optics are comparable for 99% of patients with low - low/moderate Rxs. UV protection is a big plus, and with quality A/R lenses, the scratch resistance is comparable enough to make patents more than happy with the long term durability of their lenses. Thinner and lighter qualities are icing on the proverbial cake. Certainly there are Rxs that work well with CR, and the fact that it's still one of the most widely available lens materials speaks to that.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There have been times when Cr-39 is the best lens choice for the patient. Your boss should not take this choice away. Remember, the most important thing is the best interests of the patient. If it is a matter of profit, then HD lenses could be promoted at an increased cost.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Trivex is my new CR. Good optics, chemical resistance, and impact resistance. Don't like to use CR much but it has it's place.

I like the idea of taking it off the menu, as a choice but having it there if you absolutely need it. It sounds like a great plan that could increase profits. I would be interested in seeing how it works out for you. Maybe youy can evaluate it at the end of the quarter and see if this strategy has had an impact on your bottom line, had an impact on your remake, had an impact on your customer service.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

Why not just charge the same for CR-39 and Poly, and then make your decision from there.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The overwhelming majority of our jobs are in CR39. I'm in Canada though.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As everyone knows, the problem with CR-39 is that it chips and scratches so darn easily. I'm no fan of poly without AR but I try to stay away from cr-39 unless the customer is on the lowest budget possible.

The first time they drop their glasses there will be a giant scratch or possibly a chunk of the lens missing. At least keep the cr-39 away from semi-rimless!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    As everyone knows, the problem with CR-39 is that it chips and scratches so darn easily. I'm no fan of poly without AR but I try to stay away from cr-39 unless the customer is on the lowest budget possible.

The first time they drop their glasses there will be a giant scratch or possibly a chunk of the lens missing. At least keep the cr-39 away from semi-rimless!
    We use CR for groove jobs all the time. 2.2 et and chipping is extremely rare. I'd put CR up against poly any day of the week. I hate that stuff.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    We use CR for groove jobs all the time. 2.2 et and chipping is extremely rare. I'd put CR up against poly any day of the week. I hate that stuff.
    Just a query, do you polish all your groove jobs? HAving a debate here on the merit of polishing edges.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IC-UC View Post
    Just a query, do you polish all your groove jobs? HAving a debate here on the merit of polishing edges.
    1 in 100 maybe.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I have heard a leading lab here suggests that ALL Cr39 must be polished to reduce chipping of lenses and also for appearance. I can understand appearance, but polishing will only allow more internal relfections IMHO.
    Not sure where the stats lie in regards to reducing the chipping of the lenses.......another money making episode?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper CR 39 still the best next to glass...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post

I sell a fair amount, about 40%. I will do almost anything to keep a high cyl customer out of poly, and sometimes CR39 is really all someone needs. I may get blasted here for that one, but a big part of what gets me out the door in the morning is making sure I'm providing the best solution, whether it costs a lot or not. So do I order freeform cr39 with a premium ar? You bet. I know a lot of places will not offer freeform in cr39, just upgrade the whole order, but that's not me.

Congratulations.......you have the right attitude and keep going along this way of thinking and you will suceed with your new store. Glass lenses provide still the best optical systems but next to it in modern times, is still CR39 as the best solution, way before all the newer materials.

All these newer plastic do have certain advantages like being tougher when mishandled by their owners, but cost more, even while they are a big lot cheaper to make by mass injection moulding production. (Similar system as to make the water bottles, women like to walk around with these days)

More expensive does not always make it a better quality but it always makes it a more profitable one. Lens Crafters in the early days had a policy of having customerd sign a legal release if they did not want to purchase polycarbonate lenses for their kids glasses and forced them morally to go for it. I do not know if it is still the practice there.

As I can see from this thread the difference in opinions is mostly profit oriented besides brainwash advertising by the large corporations towards the consumers.
    On this thread, Ed in Winnipeg has no problems using CR30 for the majority of his sales in Canada while his USA counterpart calls it a material to stay away from. Maybe the manufacturers ship a better quality to Canada than the USA ................????????

Do you believe that the online opticals offer AR coatings that are not premium quality for the fraction of the price you charge?
    Just think that one of the largest, (Frames Direct) is owned 100% by Essilor. The lab work must be done in some of the 80% of optical labs owned by them in the USA and they would not use another cheap second rate process for one customer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sell a good amount of plastic. I don't see the point of upgrading my patients to a more expensive lens if their is no need to. I would much rather sell them a cr39 with no glare then have them spend more on poly without it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any time I have the combo of: pt over 18, full frame, rx under -2.00, I suggest cr39. I do tell them there are thinner options, and for anyone who needs impact, it's an obvious no. I would much rather have a patient in a/r than a high index material. Just yesterday I had a guy with a -3.50 in a 54 eye frame do cr39 because he wanted xtra-active TRN and it was the only available material. I myself have a huge sun frame with cr39 and I'm a -3.75, with drivewear. The edges are pretty thick, but I don't care.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IC-UC View Post
    I have heard a leading lab here suggests that ALL Cr39 must be polished to reduce chipping of lenses and also for appearance. I can understand appearance, but polishing will only allow more internal relfections IMHO.
    Not sure where the stats lie in regards to reducing the chipping of the lenses.......another money making episode?
    Hand polishing/buffing does reduce chipping. You are softening that harsh, brittle edge on either side of the groove in CR39. The machine polish does NOT help with chipping/flaking.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Why not just charge the same for CR-39 and Poly, and then make your decision from there.
    Not my call and it's not going to happen.

I never use cr39 for drills and rarely for grooves.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The opening statement of this thread reveals a lot....
    Are you selling...
    It's not "dispensing" or " filling the Rx with" or do you "feel the more expensive (profitable) product" is indicated for. Or " is vision better with"

This is what we have come to...

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    ....the problem with CR-39 is that it chips and scratches so darn easily.
    We have to be fair to CR-39 a little, most other materials come with a scratch coat added on to some degree. When we scratch-coat CR-39 its more scratch resistant than Trivex with a scratch coat, Colt's RLS testing has even higher results when you start adding AR's. In every RLS test I have seen CR-39 is tops with the same AR stack. You don't have to use a brand name scratch coat, I have a cheap one that I offer for only a few bucks it modifies the structure of the lens and makes it super hard (it brings UV up to 96% too).

Always, and I mean always, put the patient first. If you upsell without reason or benefit to THAT patient it will come back to haunt you, lower your capture, and stress your dispensing experience.

CR-39 is still the most optically superior plastic material, very durable when coated, and a great value. Its still a great choice for many patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I sell a good amount of plastic. I don't see the point of upgrading my patients to a more expensive lens if their is no need to. I would much rather sell them a cr39 with no glare then have them spend more on poly without it.
    Me too. AND in this instance, it's better for the business and the pt/customer.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The opening statement of this thread reveals a lot....
    Are you selling...
    It's not "dispensing" or " filling the Rx with" or do you "feel the more expensive (profitable) product" is indicated for. Or " is vision better with"

This is what we have come to...

Chip
    That is a pretty judgmental statement and a bit heavy on the dramatics. How do you know how she interacts with patients? One post on optiboard extrapolated accross the profession is a bit much.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do a ton of cr-39, because the bulk of our patients are Medicaid's coming over from the eye clinic. And that's what DC Caid pays for (except for kids of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I would much rather have a patient in a/r than a high index material.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I myself have a huge sun frame with cr39 and I'm a -3.75, with drivewear. The edges are pretty thick, but I don't care.
    Ha, I've got a -5.50 in mine, I really need to update that pair though - when I got it, they weren't offering drivewear in anything but cr-39.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Thread Information