Thread: Computer / Near variable Pals

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer / Near variable Pals

Ok. Need your thoughts. A few of our doctors prescribe specific Rx's for computer pals. However they often are not the standard half add on top with balance of the reading as an add. It's a little stronger or weaker depending on the focal length the pt works at.

We have been having issues when the patient picks up because the lab compensated rx does not work for the patient.

Most of the labs request the pts regular rx. I was told its based off of the total reading power and then they back out the add we order to get the mid range. However one of my lab reps told me that was incorrect.

What say you? Favorite office lens to use? Tips etc are greatly appreciated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let your lab do the calcs. I use Shamir Office and supply my lab with full Rx - and I have MANY satisfied patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always let your lab do the calculations, (they will do it even if you already caculated it) as it is standard for them. I work with the digital computer lenses and LOVE them. I have been selling these types of lenses since Sola came out withthe Access lens almost 20 years ago. They are great for cumputer users, musicians, Doctors, hobbists, and anyone that needs mid to near vision.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When using the office which of the four adds tens to work best for you?

The pts that we seem to have the most difficulty with is when their mid range is naturally plano. Ex:

OD -1.25
    OS -1.25
    Add 250

Any other tips?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love Shamir Auto II Office. I let the lab calc from a full rx. I think it's the ONLY solution for people with two computer monitors at work, and I've had success using it for very varied professions: concert violinist, an architect who wantedt to see the whole blueprint, once even as quilting glasses for an elderly former FT wearer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    When using the office which of the four adds tens to work best for you?

The pts that we seem to have the most difficulty with is when their mid range is naturally plano. Ex:

OD -1.25
    OS -1.25
    Add 250

Any other tips?
    Paint realistic expectations. Anyone with a +2.50 add is going to have a restricted range of functionality, in width and depth of. Some people might be better off with a quadrifocal effect for more useful distances.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Seiko PC Wide is a great lens if you don't need room distance, it only goes to about 8 feet on the top. But its edge to edge clear on the computer. Great for dual monitors.

As far as ordering goes, go manual and use the Auto II Office when you need to (Intermediate RX is specified by Dr.). Order with Bifocal RX but put two adds, one at reading and one at intermediate. Use regular (order unconverted) with everything else.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Ok. Need your thoughts. A few of our doctors prescribe specific Rx's for computer pals.
    This is the opticians job. The doctors don't have time for this, and when they do, they usually get it wrong, primarily due to insufficient data. Start with the manifest refraction.

However they often are not the standard half add on top with balance of the reading as an add.
    There is no standard.

It's a little stronger or weaker depending on the focal length the pt works at.
    There you go. I won't make computer eyeglasses until the client measures the work distance.

We have been having issues when the patient picks up because the lab compensated rx does not work for the patient.
    That's no good at all!

Most of the labs request the pts regular rx. I was told its based off of the total reading power and then they back out the add we order to get the mid range. However one of my lab reps told me that was incorrect.
    It should be based on the refracted work distance. If you don't have the work distance, you're guessing.

What say you? Favorite office lens to use? Tips etc are greatly appreciated.
    After you've determined the correct power for the work distance(s), select a lens that eliminates, or as much as possible, minimizes horizontal and vertical posturing. The best way to achieve this, assuming two work distances, is with a segmented multifocal. Next best is with PAL. There are additional concerns and nuances.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    The Seiko PC Wide is a great lens if you don't need room distance, it only goes to about 8 feet on the top. But its edge to edge clear on the computer. Great for dual monitors.

As far as ordering goes, go manual and use the Auto II Office when you need to (Intermediate RX is specified by Dr.). Order with Bifocal RX but put two adds, one at reading and one at intermediate. Use regular (order unconverted) with everything else.
    I am fitting a patient who has a 30 inch distance to her computer monitor and need to back off the "standard" intermediate Rx a bit for her - are you saying that the Auto II Office can be ordered with a specific Rx combination? She wants the full reading power in the lower section and a modified intermediate in the top (with a progressive design).

I was also wondering if a short corridor progressive would be a good option for her use. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    You cannot affectively determine intermediate power without a refraction at that distance. Two 2.50 add patients may need a different intermediate power at 30". Patients who have the same reading power may arrive their at differing rates. You can fudge and take your chances though, I have done it many times. But its a guess, you can use a trial frame for best results.

A short corridor with the top RX'd for computer use? Its close the the PC wide, but you are better off with the PC wide for wider reading and lower distortion, with lower cost.

A short corridor with the top for regular distance? You will shrink the intermediate height and increase distortion, the opposite of what you really need.

I am 42 inches away from my computer, so I think 30" is close, but it also depends on the viewing angle, chair height, patient height, type of monitor stand, etc.

Your best choices are for dedicated computer use the Shamir Office or Seiko PC Wide. If she wants a full progressive, the Seiko Surmount with a long corridor, fit on OC will work for most people. it has the widest computer zone What is her RX and add power?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Paul View Post
    I am fitting a patient who has a 30 inch distance to her computer monitor and need to back off the "standard" intermediate Rx a bit for her - are you saying that the Auto II Office can be ordered with a specific Rx combination? She wants the full reading power in the lower section and a modified intermediate in the top (with a progressive design).

I was also wondering if a short corridor progressive would be a good option for her use. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok yeah I wanted to "create" a computer lens by using a short corridor regular progressive - does that make sense? (Top Rx'd for computer use) I used a Essilor Computer lens on the first attempt and now I am remaking it... It is too strong at the distance she likes to work she said. Her Rx is:
    +1.25sph
    +1.75+0.75x045
    +2.25 Add

So you think that the PC Wide or the Shamir Office will give her a better range at the top?

I am going to talk to her doctor tomorrow to reevaluate the Rx... but I wanted to have some ideas about what kind of lens options I have in the meantime. Thanks for your reply :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Shamir office always worked well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have done that many years ago, no need for it now, the PC Wide is better. You should trial frame her for best results.

The office would give her some "walk around" vision, the PC Wide, not. But the PC Wide will give her about twice the computer area, but its a "sit and work" only lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Paul View Post
    Ok yeah I wanted to "create" a computer lens by using a short corridor regular progressive - does that make sense? (Top Rx'd for computer use) I used a Essilor Computer lens on the first attempt and now I am remaking it... It is too strong at the distance she likes to work she said. Her Rx is:
    +1.25sph
    +1.75+0.75x045
    +2.25 Add

So you think that the PC Wide or the Shamir Office will give her a better range at the top?

I am going to talk to her doctor tomorrow to reevaluate the Rx... but I wanted to have some ideas about what kind of lens options I have in the meantime. Thanks for your reply :)

Thread Information