Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame warmer: which type is better?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question Frame warmer: which type is better?

I am looking for a new frame warmer (have been using a hair blow-dryer). I still don't know which is better: hot air type or bead type. Or stay with a hair blow dryer (stronger one)? Thank you in advance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    still use salt in my salt pan..........
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Are you using the frame warmer or is your optician? If it is someone else, I would go with what they like and are comfortable with! There is not a best in my opinion, only different.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use both, the air type I use most of the time, especially for the more delicate plastics. Depending on the unit you can direct the heat to a concentrated area without having to reshape the entire frame. I use the bead frame warmer for heavier frames that need a long time to make pliable, with less risk of bubbling the plastic than hotter air unit can be capable of. They both have their pros and cons, but if you have room for both, you will find that you are able to work with many types of plastic in a safe timely manner.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like bead pans, but some opticians habitually forget and put the frame front in them with a/r coated lenses still inserted, which becomes costly.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    still use salt in my salt pan..........
    I don't know of the use of salt in the salt pan, but after posting (my very first one :), I found other similar posts. Will investigate more. Thank you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Are you using the frame warmer or is your optician? If it is someone else, I would go with what they like and are comfortable with! There is not a best in my opinion, only different.
    It is my dispensing staff. They are not certified opticians, so they don't have any insights. Just want something better than my hair blow dryer. :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I use both, the air type I use most of the time, especially for the more delicate plastics. Depending on the unit you can direct the heat to a concentrated area without having to reshape the entire frame. I use the bead frame warmer for heavier frames that need a long time to make pliable, with less risk of bubbling the plastic than hotter air unit can be capable of. They both have their pros and cons, but if you have room for both, you will find that you are able to work with many types of plastic in a safe timely manner.
    I should have enough space for both.... hmm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz is right. Use what is best for you...Oh, I use salt becasue that's what we used before glass beads came along.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I like bead pans, but some opticians habitually forget and put the frame front in them with a/r coated lenses still inserted, which becomes costly.
    So, for the bead and/or salt pans, the lenses should be removed before placing the frame front in the pan then? With uncoated and coated lenses, or just coated lenses?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The advantage of salt: If it gets trapped between frame and lens it can be disolved out. Disadvantage: It corrodes hinges, and clumps overnight, requireing stirring in the morning.
    Advantage of beads, they last but don't use the small ones, just the large ones. Disadvantage, they can distort frame in plastic if trapped, put spots on some lenses and can cause a lens (glass) to break if trapped in eyewire.
    Disadvantage of hot air, not many but they can take a long time to heat thick frames and some odd plastics.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like the hot air blowers.

Less mess, and it seems like the staff is sort of acquainted with that type. Why subject them to something new?

My Vote = Hot Air Blower!

(Get a real blower.....not some rigged up Aqua Net Hair dryer!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also vote for hot air. Less mess, easier to use, less mess, less mess.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I vote hot air too, as long as you pay attention to what your doing and don't do like my brother-in-law and get distracted by a pretty girl and melt her frame.

We had a bead pan too for awhile and It worked pretty good for most things, but it wasn't my favorite. Especially when that same brother -in-law accidentally knocked it off the counter. Yep, beads....everywhere....ugh.

I know what you're thinking, why did your boss even keep this guy? He was a edging master!!! Just a klutz at times. lol. oops, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. sorry.
    -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
    ---"No. this is a seg height."--
    Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
    Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The advantage of salt: If it gets trapped between frame and lens it can be disolved out. Disadvantage: It corrodes hinges, and clumps overnight, requireing stirring in the morning.
    Advantage of beads, they last but don't use the small ones, just the large ones. Disadvantage, they can distort frame in plastic if trapped, put spots on some lenses and can cause a lens (glass) to break if trapped in eyewire.
    Disadvantage of hot air, not many but they can take a long time to heat thick frames and some odd plastics.

Chip
    I may still consider the beads, larger ones, if I want to have both options. Looks like hot air one might work well for my use. From previous year's post, it looks like Hilco has a good one. Thank you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I like the hot air blowers.

Less mess, and it seems like the staff is sort of acquainted with that type. Why subject them to something new?

My Vote = Hot Air Blower!

(Get a real blower.....not some rigged up Aqua Net Hair dryer!)
    I know... when I started, we were going the cheap route... at least, it worked great on our hair. :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    I vote hot air too, as long as you pay attention to what your doing and don't do like my brother-in-law and get distracted by a pretty girl and melt her frame.

We had a bead pan too for awhile and It worked pretty good for most things, but it wasn't my favorite. Especially when that same brother -in-law accidentally knocked it off the counter. Yep, beads....everywhere....ugh.

I know what you're thinking, why did your boss even keep this guy? He was a edging master!!! Just a klutz at times. lol. oops, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. sorry.
    LOL. No one is perfect! :)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    No, that's what makes life so funny. Good luck with your frame warming endeavors.
    -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
    ---"No. this is a seg height."--
    Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
    Thomas Jefferson

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by woolis View Post
    So, for the bead and/or salt pans, the lenses should be removed before placing the frame front in the pan then? With uncoated and coated lenses, or just coated lenses?
    Yes. Pretty much any coating can get heat damaged but a/r is not forgiving at all. If it's of concern, go hot air. Cheaper to buy one device anyhow, you know?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I personally prefer the bead warmer for most frames, but you should go with the hot air blower - less chance of your staff ruining frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hot air is cleaner and easier, and in the wintertime is great for drying out handkerchiefs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HOT AIR >>>>>>> Hilco double air blower. variable heat PLUS cool down and I can be more precise on what im heating ........... beads leave dimples, salt leaves scratches, those new black glossy frames love saltpans. eyeDoc's that make 75000+ do not worry with these things > just order the hot air like everyone says and you will be happy= employes be happy! whats you office manager say to do? is it Your hair dryer doc or hers? seriously that's inventive! i done that on those away from work adjustments- it works sorta, but your friends are looking at you like > dude ? did you rigged something to hold the hairdryer too ;) Pay me 55000k i"ll make all your "easy" decisions for you :) I'll sell you my hot air -hand held- hair dryer that will unscrew and screw all those 1.3 & 1.4's put together silhouettes plus restring any nylor/simi-rimless frame and recall all patients with with the voice of the Gunny Ermey tellen' them sorry no showing- rx script walking davis vision having evil doers that if they dont make there next appointment he going to >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> oh forgot to tell you my hand held model is patent pending so dont get any idea's. its yours for 600 dollars tho. if your not interest in my invention buy this one, it works great Deluxe hot air frame warmer on hilco website,my doc bought the the model before this and wrote a check for an optos unit and then said we need a new sunglass room.in the same day not renting either of em. anyway its what they want. hope this didnt come off brash its hump day have fun huh! and spend some money

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wet handkerchiefs>>>>> love it! we have cleaning cloths, they come when you sell this thing called premium AR. "just teasing" thats a cool word tho -handkerchiefs!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    did you make it to the yacht ride at the lake Norman this new years eve?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    my electric bill went down about $25 when I switched from salt pan to hot air.

Harry

Thread Information