No announcement yet.

cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to believe that if there was AN EMERGENCY, that I must be notified IMMEDIATELY, too. Until...

My first wife called me when I was across town, and said it was because of an intruder! When I arrived ASAP I asked where the police had gone. She said "We didn't call them."
    Well, I was thinking more of an automobile accident or heart attack where you need to get to the hospital FAST...but yeah...not calling 911 in that case was...ummm...yeah.

Comment

Buy the girl a gun and tell her to take care of her own problems.

Comment

Get a small cell blocker and don't say anything about it. Just claim that your new piece of lab equipment must be causing interference.

Comment

Originally posted by KStraker View Post
          Get a small cell blocker and don't say anything about it. Just claim that your new piece of lab equipment must be causing interference.
          From Wikipedia

"Cell phone blocking devices are used by federal officials under certain circumstances. Privacy rights of property owners may affect the policy and application of law within buildings. The FCC may issue a permit that waives the law for private use. For radio communications, it is illegal to operate, manufacture, import, or offer for sale, including advertising. Blocking radio communications in public can carry fines of up to $112,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year."

Probably not a good idea to use a cell phone blocker.
          Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by KStraker View Post
            They are illegal to use. http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...PvR_story.html

Comment

I banned cell phones, and recently all personal communication devices in the office. There is absolutely no need for them, at least not in my offices. We allow open access to the computers for work purposes:
              tilt and wrap calculators on them, and internet to research lens and cl data, as well as seek advice from other professionals.
              I put it in the handbook, and it is enforced. In the case of a sick child, emergency, etc...the land line is always available. I had complaints from only two people, both of whom are no longer with the company.

It's not a matter of "professionals" or not. It's a matter of running a business, and doing it within the guidelines of the law.

Six years ago, I fired an employee for stealing contact lenses. He filed for unemployment, and of course, I fought it. At the hearing, the "judge" asked why I had fired him. When I said it was for stealing the judge asked, "Is that against your company policy?" I had to ask her to please repeat what she had said, and she replied, "Is it stated in your company policy that employees are not allowed to take items for their own personal enjoyment, or as YOU stated, are not allowed to steal?" I almost fell out of my chair, but did show her in the handbook where it states that nothing can be removed from the office w/out written permission. THAT saved us, and the employee's unemployment was denied.

Since then, I've rewritten the handbook, to the point that it even states "all employees must wear appropriate undergarments..." I kid you not, and yes, I've even had to enforce THAT.

If you don't want the disturbance/temptation of cell phones, you have to put it in writing, and enforce it equally.

I can think of no good reason an employee can't wait until break time to use their cell phone.
              Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

When my husband is deployed, my cell phone is the only way he can contact me. Anyone would have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they told me I couldn't use it while at work when he's out to sea. Other than that, there's no reason for me to NEED it while working.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Howtopat View Post
                  Most people don't abuse the privilege but there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else
                  To me you should zero in on the people who abuse this. Why take it out on those who are not?

Alot of bosses fall into this. Instead of cutting the cancer away with a scalpel they whack away with a hatchet.

I have worked for places where 1 person is coming in late or taking longer lunches. Then the owners have a "meeting" and generally threaten everyone as a group instead of taking care of that 1 culprit.

Comment

Cell Phone Policy Sample for Workplaces......................................

Cell Phone Policy Sample for Workplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Johns View Post
                      I banned cell phones, and recently all personal communication devices in the office. There is absolutely no need for them, at least not in my offices. We allow open access to the computers for work purposes:

I put it in the handbook, and it is enforced. In the case of a sick child, emergency, etc...the land line is always available. I had complaints from only two people, both of whom are no longer with the company.

It's not a matter of "professionals" or not. It's a matter of running a business, and doing it within the guidelines of the law.

Six years ago, I fired an employee for stealing contact lenses. He filed for unemployment, and of course, I fought it. At the hearing, the "judge" asked why I had fired him. When I said it was for stealing the judge asked, "Is that against your company policy?" I had to ask her to please repeat what she had said, and she replied, "Is it stated in your company policy that employees are not allowed to take items for their own personal enjoyment, or as YOU stated, are not allowed to steal?" I almost fell out of my chair, but did show her in the handbook where it states that nothing can be removed from the office w/out written permission. THAT saved us, and the employee's unemployment was denied.

Since then, I've rewritten the handbook, to the point that it even states "all employees must wear appropriate undergarments..." I kid you not, and yes, I've even had to enforce THAT.

If you don't want the disturbance/temptation of cell phones, you have to put it in writing, and enforce it equally.

I can think of no good reason an employee can't wait until break time to use their cell phone.

Now I know you're not crazy, but sometimes I think Crazy follows you around looking for opportunities! Is stealing against company policy? Really?
                      Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

I allow my section to have their cell phones due to the fact our boss constantly tries to reach us on them, even though he asks us not to have them. I don't mind them quickly and quietly taking emergency phone calls or texts as long as their priority is and always will be finishing all of their daily work, and within a timely manner. As soon as I feel they are abusing their privileges, I ask them to put their phone away and do not take it back out. Works pretty good.
                        -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
                        ---"No. this is a seg height."--
                        Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
                        In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by opticianbart View Post
                          From Wikipedia

"Cell phone blocking devices are used by federal officials under certain circumstances. Privacy rights of property owners may affect the policy and application of law within buildings. The FCC may issue a permit that waives the law for private use. For radio communications, it is illegal to operate, manufacture, import, or offer for sale, including advertising. Blocking radio communications in public can carry fines of up to $112,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year."

Probably not a good idea to use a cell phone blocker.
                          Yet here they are being openly sold. These people must owe billions by now. I wouldn't have a problem using one. http://www.jammerspot.com

Comment

They tried to use one at my old job...didn't work on all phones, though. HaHa.

Comment

Why not this is great idea but there could be some disadvantages of it.. you should not to turned of those mobile phone but collect from them and make it turn on. if they have an emergency they can receive it..:)

customized coozies cheap koozies
                              Last edited by hare; 05-12-2012, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
                                What will your women do with thier lives while working? Will they tie up the company land lines reporting the health and well being of everyone they know to everyone they know?
                                Jeez Louise Chip, care to join the 21st Century? By the way, we ladies can vote now too.

I didn't realize Mississppi was so backwards, or maybe it's just you.
                                "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                                X