Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun choice opinion. Ak47 vs AR 15

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    The Thompson, by the way, is just plain fun !!!!!!
    I have a Thompson M1A1. It’s heavy as heck, but an absolute blast to run .45 through. From a military standpoint it’s obsolete, but for bouncing cans and splattering mud, it has no equal. With practice it is accurate on full-auto.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I love my SKS, and it shoots VERY well. I got it before all the Clinton assault weapons bans/restrictions went into effect. It's outfitted with a folding stock, detachable magazine and a muzzle break. Does everything an AK does at half the price. Since it has a longer barrel is is more accurate than an AK. 7.62X39, being a global munition is available everywhere, thus being a tad bit cheaper to shoot. I gotta get out to the range with that thing!
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually is very easy to buy a numbers matching AK assembled at the factory instead of parts guns that were assembled in the US.(it will be pre 1990)The trigger groups are much better than the standard Tapco G2 that you have to use for compliance. I like the Chinese type 56. The receiver is thicker than the other countries of manufacture. It's still not good at extended range, but I can hit the bulls eye at 100. How about a Dragunov for varmints? Wouldn't be much left, but it's accurate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thread revival and stealing alert!

I wonder what the OP finally decided on?

I am thinking the same thing. I keep leaning toward the AK for the durability and reliability. I keep thinking about the accuracy of the AR.

Do you really have to be ginger and meticulous with the cleaning and care of the AR?

What brands to go with on either AR or AK? Anything to stay away from or be really cautious about?

Happy lead slinging!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    AR's with a short barrel length (16" or less) do NOT like steel case ammo. The AK platform, in general, do not jam as easily, except for the really cheap ones.
    Are you shooting for fun or accuracy. Both platforms are more "fun" than a truely accurate varmint killer, like a good .308.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shooting strictly for fun.......unless WIthout Rule Of Law insues!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geeze, does this mean you guys are giving up on the electoral process?
    If so, use something bigger like a 50 cal.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FEZZ!! Your timing couldn't be more perfect. I will be purchasing in the next month or so from a few different locations. I decided to get the AR because I do like the accuracy and they can be extremly reliable with the right components. I am getting a Bravo Company 16" upper with goverment profile barrel (incase i ever want to attach a grenade launcher!). I am also getting the Bravo Company full auto bolt carrier group and the gunfighter charging handle. The lower will have a geissel 2 stage match trigger and m4 butt stock. I also have a friend that is giving me a vltor free floating handguard! I really like that with the 223 round you can zero at 50 yards and have no more than a 2" varience out to 200 yards and your distance zero is 222 I believe depending on bullet weight.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds complicated!!

Thanks for the follow up. I would be interested in hearing how it turns out and the who's, where's, and whys to what you went with!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Many years ago I worked gun shows in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. I was working a show in Leesburg in I believe 1986....I had two young boneheads with DC licenses come up to our table wanting to buy Tec-9's for "deer hunting".........
    So you sold to them?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Of course he sold...what's wrong with a "handgun" capable of being converted to fully auto, with a 50 round magazine to hunt deer ? Sometimes you need to get off more than 1 shot. Deer are fast runners...lol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My choice is a Soviet built AKMS!
    Love those babies!
    This thing never goes bad on you!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Easy read version:

Quote Originally Posted by iCareprofessional View Post
    My advice is just as glasses you dont need just one. I have many rifles, and each serves a purpose just as our mutifocal friends need different len's for different task. I will address the questions as i would a customer looking for answers on frame and lens options. Here we go, the AK-47 has more confirmed kills that any other rifle in history, lets look at why. They were developed in 1947 and are still being made today - making it one of most manufactured guns in history so the sheer amount of rifles gives it the advantage of being in almost every battle since its inception in 1947, so time+ reliability+ alot of bad people having them= most kills of any rifle.

The real AK-47 made in Russia was full auto and most of them today are semi-auto just like the ones your looking at (parts are made in various country's and assembled in the USA with at least nine USA parts to comply with laws) but the full auto version is consider a suppressive fire weapon, meaning it lays down a ****-ton of ammo with marginal accuracy. the round that AK-47 shoots is a 7.62x39 a deadly round do to size/weight/and velocity, but is not know for its out of the box accuracy. the ammo is plentiful but not the best choice for hunting or plinking (Favorite hunting round is .308, favorite plinking round .22 or 5.45x39 this is cheapest center fire round available right now). the rifle has gained its RELIABILITY badge do to fact that the guns tolerances are low and lose ( it was designed this way). watch an AK-47 shoot in slow motion and you will see what im talking about. it shakes and shivers when unleashing its pain.

Now lets look at the AR-15. Designed from the M-16 this variate has been updated several times over the years and its most common version is where the gas goes down a tube and blows the bolt back, unlike the AK which is piston driven where gas hits a piston and blows the bolt back. The truth of the matter is that an AK and AR can not be truly compared unless you take an AR chambered 5.56 that has the Adams arms piston kit on it, and then Have an AK-74 (this is not a typo) chambered in 5.45x39 and then you can have a show down on who's best in the all around department. AR wins in accuracy and ergonomic and given this TRUE comparison between the round and action plus ergonomic the AR wins everyday trust me I have many of both. Here's my breakdown based off you needs I would if I was YOU and was looking at getting my first rifle i would go with the AR-15 there are so many choices out and so many company's making them that the price is being drove down daily, AK are getting harder to find it seems -at least at a good price, I watched my local gun stores prices go up $130 in one month on the most basic ****ty AK which is the Century Arms Warsa- To around $550. one could buy these for 350 bucks not to long ago. A "good" AK will fetch 650 bucks now the best will cost the same an pretty good AR. I will go into this further if you want just reply. A "Really Good" AR with the piston driven system (most similar to the AK) that comes stock with the rifle such as the" Ruger 556 " is around $1200. dont be a cheap ***- think about it- you have probably had sale on glasses that was at least that price or more so........

But if you want a good plinker, and really this is what i would suggest for your first rifle- is get the S&W AR-22, it shoots the very cheap very fun .22 and you will get lots of practice and really figure out what you want once you get to the range and start talking and shooting with other folks.

I love my .22's and use them for training purposes and long days of plinking. you can shoot all day for under $25.00. when i pull out any of my AK's or AR's or bolt action long range rifles I expect anywhere from 50-200 dollars to restock the ammo shot. shoot me a message if you need anymore details as to my favorite brands and models country of origin on the AK's or AR's. If your looking a world with out law gun I would think about a shotgun with slugs this is the most bang for your buck. hope this helps and before anyone asks it takes me about 20 mins to finish with my customers/patients :)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don’t want to go off on a tangent, just adding my 2 cents. AK vs. AR. both are reliable platforms if maintained properly, being a vet I have plenty of experience with AR platforms, and more than a basic familiarity with AK's. The 5.56 NATO is basically a .22 on steroids, not alot of recoil. The AK 7.62x39 has more recoil and more power. personal preference for me would be AR. they are highly customizable and can be adapted to fill many roles (CQB, Long range) with the common availability of ammo for the AR it would be easy to get ammo should normal supply lines be interrupted (looted/bartered whatever) the one thing I dislike about the 5.56 is its inability to breach certain types of cover. If your target is hunkered behind concrete you will dump mag after mag before getting through that cover. Alternately with the AK's 30 cal round you will have much better penetration of cover. Also ammo might be a little less easy to find depending in what part of the country you live in. both AR and AK can be found. or built, for cheap if you know what your doing, that aside I would stay away from AK 74's their weird rounds (don’t recall what it is off hand, its similar to the 5.56 nato) are much harder to find in my part of the US and they suffer some of the same deficiencies of the 5.56. oh and also the 5.56 nato was designed exclusively for a 20 inch barrel, so with all these people now adays rocking the 16 of 14.5 inch barrels you lose velocity, and power.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Food for thought - what would Americans do without guns???

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Food for thought - what would Americans do without guns???
    Besides speak with a British accent?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Start saying things like G'day mate , and throw another shrimp on the barbie, like the Australians!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Canadians aren't allowed to handguns either, are they eh ?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why did the "What are you carrying" thread get closed?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Why did the "What are you carrying" thread get closed?
    I was wondering the same thing. No lines were crossed that I noticed. No thread revival for you.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. No lines were crossed that I noticed. No thread revival for you.
    Poof! Just like that...it's gone.

Maybe POTUS did it to get back at the NRA for endorsing Romney...

NRA-PVF Endorses Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for President and Vice President

The National Rifle Association's Political Victory Fund has announced its endorsement of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for President and Vice President. NRA's Executive Vice President, Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive Director, Chris W. Cox, made the announcement this week in Fishersville, Virginia, during a rally with both Gov. Mitt Romney (R) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) in attendance. Also attending, and performing at the press conference, was country music superstar and NRA Life Member Trace Adkins.

"Virginia is ground zero--the front line of this election. This is where the race could be won or lost. This is where the difference can be made. This is where gun owners must make that difference," said LaPierre.

"Today, we live in an America that is getting harder to recognize every day, led by a President who mocks our values, belittles our faith, and is threatened by our freedom." said Cox. "So on behalf of the four million men and women of the National Rifle Association, representing tens of millions of NRA supporters, it is my honor to announce the NRA's endorsement of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for President and Vice President of the United States."

The actions of President Barack Obama have harmed the Second Amendment for generations to come. He has appointed two anti-gun nominees to the Supreme Court--one of whom has already signed an opinion saying that law-abiding Americans do not have an individual right to own firearms. Obama's administration worked on a United Nations Arms Trade Treaty that would undermine our Second Amendment rights, and he has helped cover up the deadly Operation Fast and Furious scandal, arming Mexican drug cartels that continue to kill countless innocent American and Mexican citizens. He has also said that the ability of lawful citizens to carry a firearm for personal protection should be banned nationwide. As a state legislator, he opposed a law to protect people who use guns in their own homes for self-defense; endorsed a total ban on the manufacturing, sale and possession of all handguns; and supported a 500 percent increase in federal taxes on guns and ammunition. America's 100 million gun owners justifiably fear that a second Obama term, unaccountable to the voters, would bring an all-out assault on the Second Amendment.

But there's a clear choice this November. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will protect our Right to Keep and Bear Arms by appointing Supreme Court justices who will uphold the rulings in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago--two landmark cases which held that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental, individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms for all law-abiding Americans. Romney and Ryan have also stated their opposition to efforts by the United Nations to implement a global gun-control bureaucracy.

"In this election, there is no debate. There is only one choice--only one hope--to save our firearms freedom and our way of life," LaPierre continued. "Get to the polls on Election Day and make the difference in this campaign. Help take back our country and protect our freedom. On November 6, vote freedom first--Vote Romney-Ryan!"
    Last edited by Johns; 10-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Thread Information