No announcement yet.

Gun choice opinion. Ak47 vs AR 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago I worked gun shows in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. I was working a show in Leesburg in I believe 1986....I had two young boneheads with DC licenses come up to our table wanting to buy Tec-9's for "deer hunting".........
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Comment

Very nice post icarepro!! I am not sure where the idea that this is my first rifle came into play. I already have a shotgun alarm system and german shepherd for the bad guys so I am covered there. I did watch a video done by discovery on the ak vs m16 and just as you said the ak was not nearly as accurate. I have to agree with you on the 308 as I did have a remington 700p chambered in it. Great round but the gun was too heavy to hunt with and it was just collecting dust. I also agree there is no 1 rifle to do it all. After doing a little more research on the accuracy issue I am now more leaning to ar platform. Choices choices.

Comment

Semi-auto Rifle>shotgun>pistol
        Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

In California we can only legally have the SKS as opposed to the AK but thats ok I love the SK. Easy to scope with just the sight. The only issue I've had with them is they get really hot if you are really letting go and the kick can be a mother if you are shooting all day. The AR is like butter hardly any kick, doesn't get to hot and is equally easy to shoot. But for some reason the SK is just sooooo much fun. Here you can get an SK for $400 or $500 and have an AR built for around $600. Have fun and be safe which ever one you choose.

Comment

Love me my AR-15!!!! Ammo is plentiful and it's fun to shoot.
            AK-47 is perhaps more of a reliable weapon but we're Americans G-Damn it!!!!!! Go NATO
            90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Comment

Im also noticing that there are alot of Carolina boys in here so i know yall know what im talking about.

Comment

Sledzinator sorry about the assumption that it was your first auto rifle just figured i would approach as if was your first progressive, my bad. you know what they say about assuming things hope I didnt do that to both of us :) Drop most of your cash on the AR platform and get a slightly used AK from pawn shop or gun show- get it cheap and you will be happy. I have never paid over $500 for an Ak-47 and at one time was getting AK-74's with 1080 rounds for under $500. So the $1000 Arsenal is just a little out of touch for me. I got my weapons optics set for different tasks just like you, and it sounds like you hunt / optician, so I know you value good optics right :) anyway the back sights on AK's have a max of 1000 yard elevation adjustment. let me tell you that when designing that rifle I guess Kalashnikov thought it would be a good moral booster (AKA prank) to put that 1000 yard mark on it. Its a joke! that round wouldn't make there unless you match bullet + match barrel. so you going to way to save money for optics. I have most of my AK's set up with reflex sights and microdots Zeroed at 100 yards. Point and click and boom. I get the accuracy you can expect from a AK which 1 to 5 MOA at 100 yards depends on the receiver and optics. With the milled receiver you get better accuracy as it is milled from one solid block of steel vs the stamped that is stamp and bent to the box configuration that we know. Also AK purist look for the dimples on the mag-well this is really what you want if you go stamped, the cheaper AK's will usually have front sights that are canted so look for that. You can replace the back sight with Midwest industries mount that will accommodate all kind of red dots which i prefer. Or do a side mount and that works fine I've done both. The stock sights on any AR are way better than any AK any day if you ask me, but that just preference, One of my AR have the A2 sight( Iron sights) (carry handle some call it, I know people that got kicked in the nuts for carrying it that way) with 4x magnification Plus BDC on top of that for a little quicker shot acquisition and small prey and Coyotes, I do like my flat tops with monolithic rails FOR BATTLE RIFLES. Oh and "Yards"could BE meters on the AK's. Maybe thats why I shoot high iron sight on em. just thought about that.

Comment

Yeah the video I watched the shooter only got 1 shot on centermass at 200 yards! I just can't cant warrant dropping money on that given the choice to be much more accurate. I agree good optics are a MUST! I would be twice the hypocrite if I put bad optics on any weapon. Yeah I like the mono rails and will probably head that direction. I agree that I should spend the bulk on the platform if not all of it in my price range. I will probably wait on the optics because of $ and I also want to be good at using iron sights. Thanks for the great information!!

Comment

I picked up a slightly used Olympic Arms M-4 with a messed up paint job on it $450. some one traded cause i guess they thought it looked ugly, and to be honest I thought if he messed the paint that good what else did he FUBR. I thought that would look good with some walmart camo paint on it, $450 ill take it! I open it and inspected all the major stuff and beside the f-up paint dude tried to do, the rifle brand new 850-900 on the high side. but the point is I have $60 in optics (primary arm micro dot) $15 in a bad azz camo paint. that job took all of 30 minutes that everyone says im doing theres next, Yeah right mess up your $1600 rifle- yeah I do that for ya next week( nicer rifle deserve the Ceracoat or Duracoat if you can do it). anyway its 1 moa all day shooter with a little better with match ammo. this is all you need just find it. oh yeah I put magpul stock- grip and generic two piece rail and then painted it seriously guy said he be looking at getting one and offered me $800 on the spot due to character the gun. said it looked like it came back from Afghanistan, $50 in the stock&grip $50 in the rail so whats that total some where around $625. the deals are there if you know what your looking. now im just tooting my horn I will shut it up now. but will post a pic if you want ;)

Comment

Great explanations ICAREPRO. You sound like you really like to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeManFla View Post
                        The Thompson, by the way, is just plain fun !!!!!!
                        I have a Thompson M1A1. It’s heavy as heck, but an absolute blast to run .45 through. From a military standpoint it’s obsolete, but for bouncing cans and splattering mud, it has no equal. With practice it is accurate on full-auto.

Comment

I love my SKS, and it shoots VERY well. I got it before all the Clinton assault weapons bans/restrictions went into effect. It's outfitted with a folding stock, detachable magazine and a muzzle break. Does everything an AK does at half the price. Since it has a longer barrel is is more accurate than an AK. 7.62X39, being a global munition is available everywhere, thus being a tad bit cheaper to shoot. I gotta get out to the range with that thing!
                          Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
                          ALT248=°

Comment

Actually is very easy to buy a numbers matching AK assembled at the factory instead of parts guns that were assembled in the US.(it will be pre 1990)The trigger groups are much better than the standard Tapco G2 that you have to use for compliance. I like the Chinese type 56. The receiver is thicker than the other countries of manufacture. It's still not good at extended range, but I can hit the bulls eye at 100. How about a Dragunov for varmints? Wouldn't be much left, but it's accurate.

Comment

Thread revival and stealing alert!

I wonder what the OP finally decided on?

I am thinking the same thing. I keep leaning toward the AK for the durability and reliability. I keep thinking about the accuracy of the AR.

Do you really have to be ginger and meticulous with the cleaning and care of the AR?

What brands to go with on either AR or AK? Anything to stay away from or be really cautious about?

Happy lead slinging!!

Comment

AR's with a short barrel length (16" or less) do NOT like steel case ammo. The AK platform, in general, do not jam as easily, except for the really cheap ones.
                                Are you shooting for fun or accuracy. Both platforms are more "fun" than a truely accurate varmint killer, like a good .308.

Comment

Working...
                                X