Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ABO advanced

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for sharing your experiences here. This was the nudge I needed to buy the AOT and start studying again. I was planning to take the test last year, but got busy with other things, and now I may actually have time again.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences here. This was the nudge I needed to buy the AOT and start studying again. I was planning to take the test last year, but got busy with other things, and now I may actually have time again.
    Happy to hear it. Pm sent
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The hard work paid off. I passed. ABO-AC

Occupation
    Good on you.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats!

That is very impressive!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats. There aren't many that can say that.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats! I'm very happy for you
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by woob View Post
    The hard work paid off. I passed. ABO-AC
    Congratulations, now on to ABOM.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have already sent in the registration. now im just looking for a topic

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you interested in?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am taking the ABO and NCLE advanced tests in Washington this November. I recently graduated with an Associates degree in Opticianry in June. I took both ABO & NCLE cert. exams in May. I used the System for Ophthalmic Dispensing and the Advanced CL Procedures as a text for my degree. Should I purchase other study material or review what I already have? What kind of calculator if any are you allowed to use?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They will supply you an algebraic notation calculator. If you are used to a reverse polish notation calc you may want to pick up the previous so you are used to it's chain of functions. Optical Formulas Tutorial by Stoner, Perkins and Ferguson along with the Advanced Opticians Tutorial book can be very helpful. Both are available from the NAO. Good luck!

Occupation
    Since you have System, I suggest the Advanced Opticians Tutorial from the NAO as a supplement.
    https://www.nao.org/catalog/iteminfo...d=293&compid=1
    For the Advanced CLRE, the best bang for your buck is Manual of Contact Lens Prescribing and Fitting.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075067...dir_mdp_mobile

Check this link out: http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...d-CE-exams.asp

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info. One more question though. I've read the suggestions from those of you who have taken the test and your recommendations for study material vary from what is suggested on the ABO/NCLE site. Are those manuals ABO/NCLE suggests not as thorough as the ones suggested by the members of this discussion forum?

Occupation
    The suggested material for the advanced NOCE is the Advanced Opticians Tutorial.
    In my opinion, the Advanced Contact lens manual is not as comprehensive as the book I suggested, and it is rather boring and dry as well.

Occupation
    Also, Contact lens Prescribing and Fitting costs less and has an interactive dvd for your pc.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the insight Wes. Looks like I'll be adding some new material to my references.

Occupation
    Contact Lens Practice is also an excellent resource, but is a little bit pricier. I used all of the references that I've mentioned so far.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/075064690X?...y.com%2Fc.html

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Wes;424988]After I took it, I thought: "Comprehensive, but not what I would call difficult". QUOTE]

Could not agree more! Mine did seem to have a significant amount of business questions on it, too. I was scared to death of it because of the horror stories I had heard, and because I was self-trained, but it turned out to not be too bad.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I have been looking at the ABO suggested study guide; which was totally not worth $250, and it is not as in depth as my study of optics that I encountered during my Opticianry degree. It will basically be reviewing what I have already learned. I will need to read the business aspect points of the book though.
    Sorry for talking badly about the book, but for $250 I thought I might have received something with a hard cover and maybe a few colored pictures. Not a plastic bound stack of paper with crude sketches.

Occupation
    I got it and recommended it for the business and other-than-optics questions. I'm sorry you're disappointed.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, do Optician's really feel it isn't worth advancing your Optical licensing? ...that is is just a money scheme? or feeding a cash cow? I'm confused on this, I've always strived to do better! Can we discuss the details as to why people feel this way. I think it's sad.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by agr8194 View Post
    Well, I have been looking at the ABO suggested study guide; which was totally not worth $250, and it is not as in depth as my study of optics that I encountered during my Opticianry degree. It will basically be reviewing what I have already learned. I will need to read the business aspect points of the book though.
    Sorry for talking badly about the book, but for $250 I thought I might have received something with a hard cover and maybe a few colored pictures. Not a plastic bound stack of paper with crude sketches.
    I agree, the book is just a printout of the slides from a power point. The content is relevant but they could have included power point notes int he printing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilady2020 View Post
    Wow, do Optician's really feel it isn't worth advancing your Optical licensing?
    Only a few.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question for you, was the entire exam multiple choice or did you have to draw ray diagrams or show work in any other form? I am taking the advanced test this coming sunday and like you I panic when I read some of these post. I am comfortable with most of the formulas and the concept behind them. I am still working on getting more comfortable with thick lens and absorbtion in tinted lenses and polarized formula, as well as Thompsons Obliquely crossed cylinders. I am comfortable with Prentice, Snell, Fresnel, Actual and Apparent depth, front and back vertex power, effective and compensated vertex power, reducing and resultant prism, spectacle magnification, linear magnification, martins tilt and the formulas for determing new sph and cyl, clear lens % reflection and transmission, image placement for thin lens...well the list goes on. I am also very comfortable with anatomy of the eye and pathologies of the eye, I have reviewed financial management and Hipaa as well as ANSI and I think I have a good understanding of the theory of light. Probably still need more review on visual assesment and basic general review.

Your post after taking the test are a comfort. I am hoping to be over prepared especially considering that I will probably make some stupid errors.

Thread Information