Thread: widest computer area for high myope: Surmount? Definity? How does Nikon compare?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

widest computer area for high myope: Surmount? Definity? How does Nikon compare?

I saw a comment here referring to computer area stating: "the widest I have seen is the Seiko Surmount, the second widest the Definity, the third the Hoya ID". I've seen other comments indicating that the the Surmount was good for hyperhopes, so does the comparison still hold for high myopes? Does anyone have any other suggestions for anything better. How do the Nikon Presio Power and Seemax compare, I haven't seen many comments on them? Thanks.

Oddly marketing literature refers to some freeform lenses as having an X% wider area than a standard PAL, but I haven't seen the compare between different freeform PALS, even within the same brand. The LensGuru site doesn't have maps for all of them and rather than trying to compare maps its more useful to have quantitative comparisons (e.g. X% wider for near, Y% less for distance) and/or qualitative rankings for various attributes (perhaps divided according to general prescription categories like mild hyperope vs. high myope). I'd posted a general question before trying to get generic information comparing lenses since lens sites are pathetically lacking in productive comparisons, but perhaps its best to start with a few specific questions.
    Last edited by OpticalNewbie; 05-03-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the "widest computer area" is the sole concideration, it's called a straight top, or flat top or D style.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If the "widest computer area" is the sole concideration, it's called a straight top, or flat top or D style.

Chip
    I was looking for specific lens models. The point is a general use progressive lens, which I thought should have been implied by the examples that I gave, but one with a wide computer area as is useful for many people these days. Obviously even aside from computer monitors (which tend to be getting larger, and some use more than one) many daily tasks fall in the intermediate zone.
    Last edited by OpticalNewbie; 05-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Definity has a decent intermediate and distance but the reading area is just fair.

I personally think the most important thing is to have the computer monitor low enough. If its too high no regular progressive is going to work well, the person will need a computer lens. If the monitor is placed so the person looks slightly down through the lenses then plenty of progressives work well.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticalNewbie View Post
    I was looking for specific lens models. The point is a general use progressive lens, which I thought should have been implied by the examples that I gave, but one with a wide computer area as is useful for many people these days. Obviously even aside from computer monitors (which tend to be getting larger, and some use more than one) many daily tasks fall in the intermediate zone.
    Be careful! Even giving specific question does not guarantee you will receive a specific answer!;) That aside, I've had good success with the comfort/ comfort enhanced, although the difference is not alot compared to other pals. I just ordered a lense from Central Optical in Youngstown, Ohio called the "ICentauri" which is an in house digital lense they offer that can be designed with specific tasks in mind? They have one they say is optimal in the intermediate area. I believe you can get it through VSP. Haven't received them yet for comparisons? I don't think there is truly a perfect option in this case, it usually comes down to the expectation set with the pt. I'll let you know if the ICentauri works out.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw a comment here referring to computer area stating: "the widest I have seen is the Seiko Surmount, the second widest the Definity, the third the Hoya ID".
    I haven't tried the Surmount yet, but the rest sounds about right. Keep in mind that at the .50 DC limits, the corridor width on a +2.00 Add varies in width from as little as 3mm for a short corridor design, to at the most, 5mm for the longer, slower and more linear rate of power change PALs.

I've seen other comments indicating that the the Surmount was good for hyperhopes, so does the comparison still hold for high myopes?
    Probably not. In general, hyperopes need wider near and intermediate zone widths, with slightly longer corridors than average. Myopes need the opposite. This is due to minification and magnification effects, and object displacement due to the yoked base up and base down prism.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for anything better.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I personally think the most important thing is to have the computer monitor low enough.
    Remember when they used to build the little 12" b&w monitors into the desktop?

If its too high no regular progressive is going to work well, the person will need a computer lens.
    That's pretty much the case nowadays, with widescreen 27" monitors, sometimes two side by side, being the norm.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've seen other comments indicating that the the Surmount was good for hyperhopes, so does the comparison still hold for high myopes?
    Yes it does, the Surmount is great for myopes (but stupendous for hyperopes) who need computer width, I am a -1.25 / -50 and my computer area is almost edge to edge in my 52 eye. Fit on center, don't drop the lens like others.

The Surmount is the only Barrel Shape lens design I know of. Most Free-forms are a T shape for comparision, except Hoya uses most Plus shapes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would have thought the Hoya ID, or perhaps the Zeiss Individual using the 'near design' option (although I haven't dispensed one of those).

Thread Information