Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old people

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Old people

Old people crack me up. I was down atmy other store last week filling in. I really do not like it there. The pts are extremely rude. I had one really old I mean old ladycome up walking, by the help of her son and a push walker to mydispensing table. I usually am not mean and use the word “old”but she was a “Wild Fire”. Her son helped her sit down.

I asked her what was wrong and she saidher glassed kept sliding down her face. I asked her to had them tome. The ear pieces had not been bent correctly behind her ear. So Ibent them and asked her to put them back on. She got really upset andand told me to adjust her nose pieces. I tried to explain to herthat this was not the correct way for this adjustment. Herreply:”Listen here young man! This is the way I want it!” Atthis point her son steps in. She looks at him and yells”Don't takehis side”

So I am thinking maybe she is not ritein the head. But the son looks at me like he does not know what todo. So I explain if I adjust your nose pads it will mess up how yousee out of your PAL. Please just try them on and see if they slip. After about 5 mins. She puts them and says “I never doubted you.”

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You young folk crack me up. You can not type or maybe proof read that well.

That aside, you'll be old some day too, so...

That also aside, when something like that comes up I generally take the glasses and make a "show" of adjusting the nose pads, or whatever the they think the problem is, fix the real problem and everyone is happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    She got really upset andand told me to adjust her nose pieces.
    At this point, I simply 'adjust' the nosepads and wish her a pleasant day. If someone is 'really upset', the best thing to do is EXACTLY what they ask you to do - and NOTHING more.

I had a guy bring me his wife's beat up, out-of-adjustment frames to put a lens back in. The glasses were a mess so I took the time to straighten them after remounting the lens. Dude came in next day LIVID! Totally reamed me a new one for adjusting her frames. Funny how nearly 30 years of experience changed at that moment. I don't do anything now that is not asked for and do ONLY what is asked for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, be kind to your elders. We use the WO technique. Stands for Wipe Off in code. Tell her your going in the back room to fix the nose pads, heat the frame up a bit in the frame warmer (even if it is a metal frame...but not too hot), wipe them off and then redispense them. They will instantly tell you how good their slightly warm glasses feel...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some just want attention- some elderly people don't get out except to the doc or to stores. And they've got to have someone who has time to drive them- if they were smart enough to hang their car keys up. They love to talk- let them, and listen. You might learn something even if it's only you hope you die before you get old.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your input. I know all of the above. I had been at this store for about 3 hours and had seen 17 pts and was tired. As to the spelling if you know me, you know I am not good at grammer. Sorry. Best if you see one of my posts to not look.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    18 years of working from Port Charlotte to Venice to Sarasota , I can state without a doubt, that old people in Florida are a P.I.A......and that's just the Opticians I worked with...
    Last edited by EyeManFla; 05-07-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: edit
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To read any number of articles related to this type of patient google "Elderly + hostility".

Of those over 60 from my unscientific observations I'd say 5 to 10% that come to me will display this behavior. Let your love light shine and more often than not they come around and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hmm- Come to think on it the whole population could fit this categorization.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I specialize in cranky old cusses. They are some of my favorite patients. I have a few older gentlemen who like to come in and complain, I fuss over them, adjust and clean their glasses, give them a hug when they leave and they are happy. I even have a few ladies who take a little more time than some of my other patients but they always leave smiling. I try to remember that I will be old one day and that I'll want people to treat me the same way I treat my elders.

Typically my most obnoxious patient is the middle-aged housewife who whines about getting old and how she "haaaaaatttesss ggllllaaaaassessss, and I neeeeeeedddd my friends to come tell me if these look good on meeeeee"

Shoot me now.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    "Elderly + hostility"....Of those over 60
    So that's why my writing gets a bit snarky from time to time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I specialize in cranky old cusses. They are some of my favorite patients. I have a few older gentlemen who like to come in and complain, I fuss over them, adjust and clean their glasses, give them a hug when they leave and they are happy. I even have a few ladies who take a little more time than some of my other patients but they always leave smiling. I try to remember that I will be old one day and that I'll want people to treat me the same way I treat my elders.

Typically my most obnoxious patient is the middle-aged housewife who whines about getting old and how she "haaaaaatttesss ggllllaaaaassessss, and I neeeeeeedddd my friends to come tell me if these look good on meeeeee"

Shoot me now.
    I was in Charlotte, last weekend for a seminar, and had so much fun. At one point, I needed a volunteer and asked for one that I could "touch" to demonstrate an adjustment technique. One gentleman 89 years young, and still practicing 3 days a week, volunteered. He hugged me and teased me an got me to turn red. I love "young" old people and I am getting closer and closer.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    He hugged me and teased me an got me to turn red. I love "young" old people and I am getting closer and closer.

Diane
    Some seem to have kept young at heart. I had an old fellow wink at me in the pupillometer once. Crossed his eyes while I was taking his seg height. He came in with his wife who obviously adored him. He brought me a rose when he came to pick up his glasses to apologize for giving me a hard time. That guy made my day. And he sent some nieces and nephews to buy from me, too!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Some seem to have kept young at heart. I had an old fellow wink at me in the pupillometer once. Crossed his eyes while I was taking his seg height. He came in with his wife who obviously adored him. He brought me a rose when he came to pick up his glasses to apologize for giving me a hard time. That guy made my day. And he sent some nieces and nephews to buy from me, too!
    Love it.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I was in Charlotte, last weekend for a seminar, and had so much fun. At one point, I needed a volunteer and asked for one that I could "touch" to demonstrate an adjustment technique. One gentleman 89 years young, and still practicing 3 days a week, volunteered. He hugged me and teased me an got me to turn red. I love "young" old people and I am getting closer and closer.

Diane

Aww, how sweet! I love little old men like that!

Was this your first visit to Charlotte? How did you like our city? I've been here 6 years and I love it. I'll never move back to the frozen tundra! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes... we will all be old some day. My only prayer is that my wife does not put me in a home or drop me off in the woods.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Aww, how sweet! I love little old men like that!

Was this your first visit to Charlotte? How did you like our city? I've been here 6 years and I love it. I'll never move back to the frozen tundra! :)
    Thanks, I've been to Charlotte a number of times. It's a great city mostly because of the great people there.

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was living in Rutherfordton, I looked at working in Charlotte....came to Raleigh where the real action is.....LOL (hey, at least there's a hockey team here...such as it is).
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Apprentice kristiekyle's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL...funny! Love the post regarding the P.I.A opticians!
    Kristie J Meyer
    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. ~~Chinese Proverb

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shoot me now.[/QUOTE]

I would rather be beat with a bull whip this to put up with this kind of person. You know it is going to be a uphill battle all the way with this one. You NAILED it about whining about getting old. Nothing is going to make them happy so they are going to make everyone around them unhappy. No wonder they are so damn lonely ughhhhhhhhh go find yourself a stimulating positive productive hobby.

But yet I love to take on the challange of the cranky old male gezzer. The crustier the better the challange. There are very few I have not been able to win over and I have a following for life. To me it seems as if they are looking for someone like me, no frills and no BS someone who comes across as knowing the business just straight up this is how it is now take it. Dont stroke me dont coddle me dont try to give me warm fuzzys let me get in and out and on with my life with a product that suits my needs.
    Now lets go fishing daylight's a wasting!

(there sorry folks I just saw a chance to get that load off my mind)
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 05-08-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    I would rather be beat with a bull whip this to put up with this kind of person. You know it is going to be a uphill battle all the way with this one. You NAILED it about whining about getting old. Nothing is going to make them happy so they are going to make everyone around them unhappy. No wonder they are so damn lonely ughhhhhhhhh go find yourself a stimulating positive productive hobby.

(there sorry folks I just saw a chance to get that load off my mind)
    +1(000000000)

I too specialize in cranky old men. I'm getting better with cranky old women. One thing I try and remind myself of is these patients have survived a much different life than I have, so I try and kill 'em with kindness.

Middle aged women. Can be AWESOME and fun. Can also make me want to commit acts of violence. I mean really, go get a 20 year old boyfriend already, and leave the rest of us alone. I hope when I'm going insane from lack of hormones that I can manage to not be a witch.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The idea is to die young as late as possible. -Ashley Montagu
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Middle aged women. Can be AWESOME and fun. Can also make me want to commit acts of violence. I mean really, go get a 20 year old boyfriend already, and leave the rest of us alone....

Bwahahahaha, love it!
    Last edited by NCspecs; 05-09-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: brackets!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The worst are middle aged women who bring in their loud-mouth husbands to speak for them. And they stand there looking all smug while hubby defends their honor. Ugh. I've got one now that I expect to come back any day now. First it was she can't see out of the glasses. This is OUR fault you see, because they used the doc WE recommended. The Rx was wrong, but we ate the remake on it and smiled while he yelled. Then they came in for an adjustment and got reamed again. I'm starting to sincerely hate her. She obviously knows what buttons to push to get her *** of a husband all jacked up. She just stands there basking in the warm glow of his anger- disgusting people. Both of them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    placebo adjustments done all the time here! It's not worth the time to explain everything...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    The worst are middle aged women who bring in their loud-mouth husbands to speak for them. And they stand there looking all smug while hubby defends their honor. Ugh. I've got one now that I expect to come back any day now. First it was she can't see out of the glasses. This is OUR fault you see, because they used the doc WE recommended. The Rx was wrong, but we ate the remake on it and smiled while he yelled. Then they came in for an adjustment and got reamed again. I'm starting to sincerely hate her. She obviously knows what buttons to push to get her *** of a husband all jacked up. She just stands there basking in the warm glow of his anger- disgusting people. Both of them.

Try working on a military base where women think that if they have an officer for a husband, everyone needs to treat them special. I've never had the joy, but my best friend had to deal about 10 years ago when there was an optical at the groton sub base. Worst. Job. Ever.

Thread Information