Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "education" really the answer employers are looking for?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    There must not be much of a demand for nurses in optical labs.
    I've needed one a few times after stabbing myself with a screwdriver.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    It is not utopian any more than a marriage is . You still have to work at it and solve problems as they appear.

What is a Wal-Mart or a Luxottica ? They are just a collection of items all under one roof.
    No, let's talk apples to apples. Can you see a Luxottica and Marchon sharing space? Or a Wal*Mart and a K-Mart? Unrealistic, at best.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I just know that most of the big wigs in this industry have college degrees but no dispensing background. If Opticians were able to take their valuable first-hand knowledge, patient experience and mix it with a business degree, it would transform the industry because we would kick some butt. Its not just the dispensing table, its the industry decision making I am thinking of, and Opticians are not invited to that table because of our lack of education.
    Be that as it may, it still won't change the cash flow fundamentals of the optical business. An optician working for another optician still won't make more money when this transpires. Earning respect thru a degree is one thing, making more money via a degree is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You can educate consumers all day long and they won't budge. Employers say they want someone who can educate their patients. Many opticians are nice people who can't describe the benefit of their products and lead the optical client to "Yes!" In fact, the employers want sales results. Sales results would require the simplicity of knowing waht each product does, for real. In fact anti-glare or non-glare is just wrong. It doesn't stop glare at night and this just confuses consumers. That's just 1 example. Opticians could help consumers buy more when they start using 3rd party stories to define outcome of others and when they truely understand HOW the products would make a difference and most of all, ASL QUESTIONS! Best Wishes! Cureblur.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course we have to take into account that this industry sometimes substitues, the word education for sales, or explaining the shortcomings of a product.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Hmm....I have two family members with AS degrees in nursing. One just received a $3800 sign on bonus and will be making $62k, the other travels around the country, six weeks at a time, and made over $75k last year.

There must not be much of a demand for nurses in optical labs.
    Ever stop to think that at my age and with my health I should do what I like instead of trying to kill myself to make a little more money??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes it's just not about the money. My husband has a PhD in Public Administration. He LOVES being a Realtor and he's now studying for his brokers license. I LOVE being a lab rep.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Ever stop to think that at my age and with my health I should do what I like instead of trying to kill myself to make a little more money??
    Have to agree with you Jacqui...............at this point in my life my "Give a damn" is just about busted. Im ready to be happy with and enjoy what I have earned and learned.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, I make lenses. Everyone tells me I'm over qualified for any of the nursing positions that I've applied for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    So was your first post a misrepresentation of the situation or the second? Opticians are full of bull, not much room left for education.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    You should ALWAYS do what you like...always!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    So was your first post a misrepresentation of the situation or the second? Opticians are full of bull, not much room left for education.
    Neither

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Imagine 20 individual opticians sharing condo ownership of one co-op building, and the rent surplus being handed back in dividends. The parking lot generates parking revenue, the CE providers come to your amphitheater, 20 opticians reduce their generic advertising to one bill and now they can afford TV and radio advertising for 1/20th the cost of doing it alone, their joint buying power savings is returned through dividends and the bulk of the accounting and legal is inhouse and central as well as insurance billings and safety programs. 20 opticians coould afford to bring in their own Drs for refractions and offer FREE exams as a drawing card. One web site develper could be in house and handle a joint web development. The 20 could afford to jointly hire floater opticians to cover sickness and vacations .
    And why not leave some space for a small opticianry school.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    And why not leave some space for a small opticianry school.
    Very good

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My answer is: it depends on why you went to school.

Did you go to school for a high paycheck? Then yes, your degree is worthless.
    Did you go to school for an education? Then your degree is valuable to you.

Don't confuse education with a financial investment.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The author of our original article isn't the only one looking at the value of degrees in the real world job market.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My boyfriend's son just left school with a masters and a thesis away from a PHD in mathmatics. He can't find a job.
    Two years of optician school got me a job before I even took my boards.
    I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, I make lenses.
    My son graduates this Friday with a degree in accounting, an adult student who I am very proud of, and has enrolled in the masters, which I understand is mandatory to the CPA that he is after.

It's not always the "what", but rather the "who" that determines where the jobs go. You might have the "what" (degree) that the profession requires, but the final determination is the "who".

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I've found that demonstrating the willingness to put forth more effort and achieve more than others will get one noticed the quickest.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At Transitions Academy this year, the keynote speaker, Simon Sinek gave a talk, which also is the title of his book, "Start With Why". It speaks to the reason "why", more that what it is you do or how you do it. He gave a lot of great reasons to start with Why. Why do you do what you do. He also gave a lot of people and organizations that have been so very successful and the fact that they all started with "Why". I have loved my career for a very long time. In listening to his speech and reading his book, I realize that I started with "Why". Even my personal mission statement "Starts with Why". It is "To Provide Better Quality of Life Through Better Vision". That's why I love what I do, and believe that I have been successful. Maybe this can speak to each of you as well. How we each achieve our own personal "Why" may be different, but today, it must start with an education, which I believe will help you to achieve knowledge.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    The author of our original article isn't the only one looking at the value of degrees in the real world job market.
    Did you actually read this? The value of a college degree is not questioned, it is rather the single-focused approach to acquiring that degree; the unwillingness to consider elective courses that provide a broader outlook or exposure to subjects that are interesting yet not necessary for graduation.

When I left Portsmouth, VA for Arizona State University, 4-year music scholarship in hand, my Mom whispered very prophetic advice in my ear, " Remember, you don't HAVE to be a Band Director." She was right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yes grasshopper. Read, and 100% pertinent to the discussion.

Carry on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find it interesting that the authors of so many op-ed pieces on the value of education are college-educated. Is the real goal to re-create the "educated upper-class" of generations ago

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Did you actually read this? The value of a college degree is not questioned, it is rather the single-focused approach to acquiring that degree; the unwillingness to consider elective courses that provide a broader outlook or exposure to subjects that are interesting yet not necessary for graduation.

When I left Portsmouth, VA for Arizona State University, 4-year music scholarship in hand, my Mom whispered very prophetic advice in my ear, " Remember, you don't HAVE to be a Band Director." She was right.
    I find the article all fluff with no point. If you want a job and keep your college costs low, target your studies towards the job market and get out. If you do otherwise, then don't complain about not being able to find a job. There is plenty of time for hobbies, reading and night courses later. Sure one or two in addition to your normal load is fine, that is, if you can hack the extra work. People often confuse hobbies with careers. The authors quiet desperation issue leaves out an important point - most jobs that require a college degree regardless of what they are can be full filling, its just a matter of who you are working with.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get five opticians to make a partnership find a place to start a business. Fined six MD's averageing 300 patients a month x 6 = 1800 / 2 = 900 x $300.00 per rx $270,000.00 a month. 270,000.00 x 12= 3,240,000.00 It would be divided by 8 =405,000.00. Five opticians and the other 3 is running the optical business. MD's want the best for their patients. This can work.
    Donald D Price

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by price View Post
    Get five opticians to make a partnership find a place to start a business. Fined six MD's averageing 300 patients a month x 6 = 1800 / 2 = 900 x $300.00 per rx $270,000.00 a month. 270,000.00 x 12= 3,240,000.00 It would be divided by 8 =405,000.00. Five opticians and the other 3 is running the optical business. MD's want the best for their patients. This can work.
    Why 5?

I ask because this model is what many already do, 1 doc with 1 optician.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are going in business with 5 opticians so if there's a problem and a vote 3/2 all have to agree. This will take care of the problem. Has to be an odd number to work. even number nothing gets dunn.
    Donald D Price

Thread Information