Thread: Problem with viewing angle? Glasses+Lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Problem with viewing angle? Glasses+Lenses

Hello,

I work in the optical trade but I am not an optician. I have a problem with my new glasses, and need some professional advice.

A quick decription of the glasses/lenses before I explain the problem: The glasses have a slim, wide frame and I had the lenses thinned down a couple of levels. The prescription if quite strong at -5.0.

When looking straight ahead the vision is fine, but when I look at something at an angle, the vision becomes less clear. I'm testing this out by looking at the Google homepage - The more towards the edges of the lens that I view the word 'Google', the more it has an anoglyphic 3d effect, where the blue letters will have a red offset. This occurs when viewing left, right, up and down.

I don't experience this with my old glasses. My old glasses have a much larger frame and the lenses have not been thinned. My new lenses are very noticeably thinner at the centre of the lens than at the left and right edges.

Could an experienced member please explain where the fault is? Would it be the thinning, the lens shape/size, quality, or another reason?

Kind regards

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please follow our posting guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

I suggest that you take the glasses back to where you purchased them and let them help you.

Thread Information