Thread: New optician looking for help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New optician looking for help

Hello Forum,
    I'm a new optician and I have currently been employed for a month with no past experience in optometry. I love the adventure of learning a new field but it's quite daunting, would anyone happen to know of any good study guides or books that I should pick up?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! One of the first places I went to buy study guides was the National Academy of Opticianry. They have a specticle certification pack (I don't quite remember the price though) at nao.org. There are also a few really great free online resources that have helped me tremendously along the way. Opticianworks.com and Open Optix from Laramy-K both have study guides that will take you through everything you need to know to get started. Welcome to the field!

-Jon

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ulv,

Welcome to Optiboard and welcome to the world of optics! Here is a link to an article that lists what I feel are ESSENTIAL books to get up to speed in this business:

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...al-library.asp

Jonathan listed a few great resources that are available online. I do however, strongly suggest that you invest in yourself and at least get what many of us refer to as "The Blue Bible":

System for Ophthalmic Dispensing; Brooks, Borish

http://www.amazon.com/System-Ophthal...5439852&sr=1-1

Please ask us any questions that you have. This board is filled with the very best and brightest in this field and most are very eager to help a newbie out! There are many writers, teachers, speakers, and geniuses that participate here!*

*Don't be intimidated by some of us! Our bark is worse than our bite! Some of us are loud mouthed, blowhards, but we really mean well! Jump on in....the water is fine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suggest that you also sign up to get a trade rag, Eyecare Professional Magazine!

http://www.ecpmag.com/survey/index.asp

I think that it is the best trade rag............by FAR!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the party!

Don't mention "online" in the same sentence as "optician", and you'll do just fine here!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Ulv, Ask places that collect donated glasses if you can get practice neutralizing them. Win-Win. It's just a chore for them, and you will get faster/more accurate with practice.

BTW welcome to Optiboard!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This site has a lot of good info. http://www.opticianworks.com/

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And like Fezz said, check Optiboard every day. You will be amazed at how much knowledge you will find here. Don't be afraid to ask.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have:
    a: A day off
    b: A lab within driving distance that you either do or will buy things from
    Ask them if you can spend some of your day's off there observing and doing once they think you are ready to try.
    You'll learn a whole lot, including how to neutralize in a hurry. You might even get your employer to all you some time off (especially on slow days or when the OD is off) with pay for this.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was looking into buying "System for Ophthalmic Dispensing" to have on hand as a reference for some of the Apprentices I am working with. How big a difference is there between the 2nd and 3rd edition ?

I know they were published 10 years apart (1996 vs 2006) so I am sure the progressive lens information is all but useless. I want to have a basic guide that I can refer them to when they want to know a "Why" about something and I can't do a good enough job of explaining it to them. They have some of their own study materials (not including this book unfortunately), so I just want to have it as a supplemental reference.

Looking at the online prices, I can buy a used 2nd edition for $35 or $40 while a 3rd edition will run me more than $110 (I am a little worried about lending a $100+ book and never seeing it again )

Thanks for your advise ! billmdee

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by billmdee View Post
    I was looking into buying "System for Ophthalmic Dispensing" to have on hand as a reference for some of the Apprentices I am working with. How big a difference is there between the 2nd and 3rd edition ?
    When I was in school, I bought the 1st edition for about $10 on one of those used textbook sites. Finally broke down and bought the 3rd for full price. The difference in the volume of great info can't be described. This was money well spent, and I'm the kind who'll cheap out every time.

Don't loan it out, RENT it out or make them give you the $110. as collateral until they are finished with it.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I know they were published 10 years apart (1996 vs 2006) so I am sure the progressive lens information is all but useless. I want to have a basic guide that I can refer them to when they want to know a "Why" about something and I can't do a good enough job of explaining it to them. They have some of their own study materials (not including this book unfortunately), so I just want to have it as a supplemental reference.

Looking at the online prices, I can buy a used 2nd edition for $35 or $40 while a 3rd edition will run me more than $110 (I am a little worried about lending a $100+ book and never seeing it again )

Try resellers. I bought a 2nd edition for my apprentice as a secret santa gift last year for $18 on alibris.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It might help Optiboard if you buy it here.

http://astore.amazon.com/optiboard-2...601574-9215934

I strongly agree with reading the Optiboard archives. I have the second edition if anyone wants it (free). Pick-up only, by appointment.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Even the 3rd edition isn't up to date on the latest in progressives. It's six years old. If you're willing to forgo that, there hasn't been much change in ophthalmic optics since the 2nd edition was published.

I have a 3rd edition myself and bought my apprentice a 2nd edition as Wes did. He's doing fine with it.

Thread Information