Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Santinelli blocker recommended starting out

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't know, they can just verify them after installing the lenses in the frame.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Update, Got the LE1000 edger in and the ICE1000, was a little disappointed one machine is gray other is lavender, you think they would have matched the color. The sales person spent have the day trying to adjust the safety bevel on the first day and felt he was rushing the training. The rep told us how automated the ICE1000 was an then when he was showing us it he said not to use the prog or bifocal mode only use manual mode for those, I told him that was most of the reason for going with the ICE1000 over the mini plus blocker to limit user error, so he showed us how to block on those. I felt like he just wanted the commission off it. Now we have had it for a week and the pds tend to be off by 2-8mm which is not ok and it was not letting us block prog. The tech on the phone informed me about passive on one and active on the other so that fixed the blocking. Then we had some good jobs PDs within one or two of the pd, but today we did two jobs one a semi rimless and one plastic frame one job pd was off by 10mm the other was off by 8mm. The techs on the phone could not figure it out and said they would call me back. I am starting to think the ICE1000 I have might be defective and really starting to regret buying it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a 7+ year old model of the same tracer and have no problems. Your pd's should be within 1mm at all times or you have an issue.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do you mark the optical center w/manual lensometer before blocking with the ICE1000 or is this unnecessary? We started doing that to try to reduce the errors. It seems like we should not have too.
    Last edited by John Allen; 05-11-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Got some generic lenses to try today and PD was right on, not sure why I am getting so much variability.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good news edge for frames and PD was less than 2mm on all 4.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    ICE 1000 has been great for us for the last 3 years. Very user friendly

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Our ICE1000 now seems dead on but we have it hooked up to the ME1000, really good combo. I am sure the ME1200 is even better. We got some polarized lenses from the local lab near us and you could tell the polarization lines were off over 15 deg, it blocked it right on the axis of the astigmatism with the auto mode, the lab next to us had to send us new lenses b/c the astigmatism axis was made incorrect relative to the polarization axis.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Our ICE1000 now seems dead on but we have it hooked up to the ME1000, really good combo. I am sure the ME1200 is even better. We got some polarized lenses from the local lab near us and you could tell the polarization lines were off over 15 deg, it blocked it right on the axis of the astigmatism with the auto mode, the lab next to us had to send us new lenses b/c the astigmatism axis was made incorrect relative to the polarization axis.
    Ours is also on a ME1000, however we do not use the option to let the machine block the lenses. We don't trust it enough to be completely accurate. We lay everything out Manually. We have had very good luch with ours. I am curios to know how well the ME1200 measures up :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know it is a lot faster at least 30% faster, does the step bevel, has a much smaller footprint. Have heard nothing but rave reviews about it. Once we increase our lab size I will probably get another edger.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I know it is a lot faster at least 30% faster, does the step bevel, has a much smaller footprint. Have heard nothing but rave reviews about it. Once we increase our lab size I will probably get another edger.
    We do a lot of Oakley, so that step-bevel would come in very handy. The high curve option on our ME1000 is great, but not quite as good of a fit. We end up doing a step-bevel by hand after its cut. (usually at the nasal)

I used to live in Texas, can I ask which area your in?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We can't carry Oakley b/c a bicycle shop next to us has them, otherwise I would be upgrading sooner to the ME1200. There is also a safety glass store right next to us so we don't do Wiley X either so not many wrap frames. I really like our ME1000.

We are located in Corpus Christi, TX.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    You have a lot of competition very close to you. Does that make some sales more difficult?

I used to work in Coppell and live in Lewisville. I worked for Dr. Pels and Dr. Elston (they had their own practice with a lab in the back, well an edger...lol)

I am also very happy with our ME1000, we just do so many wrap styles-it seems the ME1200 would make it easier. We still have an old Kappa in the office just in case our Santenelli goes down. It's for Emergency use only. We have been slightly spoiled with our ME. The Kappa won't groove, drill, bevel or polish. I have to break out the smart drill when that happens. lol

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi there, how can you describe the learning curve to adapt to the edging training? and , what was wrong with PD's not being properly obtained with the previous LE model?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We are currently using a ICE mini with a LE 1000. The blocker works very well but after about a year the spring broke that locks up the blocking arm so we just leave in down which works fine. The price of a new spring and plate was over $100. We tried to use a different spring but with little success.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    hi, if is this conversation still actual, what do you think about ice 900? now we have ice1000, but me1200+ice1000 can´t do partial step bevel. only with ice900. any experience with it? thx (and sorry for my english)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    edit: Damn. I hate it when I don't read the date of threads...

Thread Information