Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Surmount - Whats not to like?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seiko Surmount - Whats not to like?

I have been using more and more of the Surmount and I am very pleased with it. My patients seem to like it and I am actually getting the elusive "WOW" that has been eluding me when fitting other fancy lenses.

So.................what am I missing?

Are you finding any faults with this lens?

Are you getting the "WOW"?

Are you experiencing the same thing?

Am I just wanting it to work and therefore believeing it is somehow better?

Thoughts, comments, opinions on the lens please!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have been using more and more of the Surmount and I am very pleased with it. My patients seem to like it and I am actually getting the elusive "WOW" that has been eluding me when fitting other fancy lenses.

The rep over here from the Seiko Lab that I use always goes to the Supercede as her go to lens.
    I believe the Surmount works well in moderate to higher plus rx's. But if you are having great success then just run with it!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IT must be me -- I've had mixed success with Seiko lenses. Some people like 'em, some people hate 'em. I've refit two people in another brand after they told me they couldn't use the Surmount. It makes me reluctant to use them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    IT must be me -- I've had mixed success with Seiko lenses. Some people like 'em, some people hate 'em. I've refit two people in another brand after they told me they couldn't use the Surmount. It makes me reluctant to use them.
    Use the Supercede with confidence. With high myopes fit them a bit lower than centre pupil is my advice.
    Everytime I put on my Supercedes the comfort I get is like putting on a pair of slippers.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where do you get them and is that the one for + lenses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Where do you get them and is that the one for + lenses?

It is the one for + lenses. I get mine from Digital Eyelab.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luzerne has them as well.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    The Seiko line is my primary progressives. I've gotten the "Wow" factor from the Surmount and PCwide. Patients like the extra usable viewing area. I had one non-adapt from a Surmount customer all last year. Her main complaint was the reading zone, so I switched her into FT35 and she was happy. So for the price and combined with Surpass AR, these lenses are hard to beat. I get them from a very small independent lab near Seattle. Yes Craig, the Surmount is made for hyperopes.
    Last edited by Paulie; 04-23-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Wholesale pricing removed!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Surmount is my "go to" lens. I have been dispensing free form progressives almost exclusively for 3 years now. Virtually every patient in our practice who wears progressives is in a free form lens. VBA does not offer Surmount so I go with Varilux Physio DRx. Other than that, it's a "no brainer". I put them in the Surmount and now, even those who have been in an earlier version of Seiko's free form lenses like Succeed and Supercede, say they really like the Surmount and, yes, I do even get the WOW factor. Great lens. ... And I use it for both hyperopes AND myopes. Works great!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Surmount is a terrific lens, its the only "reverse geometry" design, so everything runs the opposite of many progressives, as the wide end of the corridor is at the top, not the bottom. If there is somone who dislikes the lens, its usually and adaptation issue because the distortion moves differently.

Note though, its a soft design. Use the "Surmount WS" in when adds or 2.00 or more to keep the reading wide.

the lens MUST be fit on center too, because of the patented unique corridor, it will really mess it up if you are use to dropping 1 mm or more.

The Surmount should be in every opticians tool box, its truly a revolutionary design: Its great for prev. non-adapts, it has an intermediate 8X wider than many T shapes like the Auto II, its freaky clear, and it could be the best lens for low to mid power hyperopes ever made.

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Acculab of Illinois has some of the best prices on all seiko product check them out they are cheaper and offer fast turnaround time....they are running some specials right now....seiko blows varilux out of the water

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    JC1111, can we deduce that you work for Acculab of Illinois?
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Surmount is a terrific lens, its the only "reverse geometry" design, so everything runs the opposite of many progressives, as the wide end of the corridor is at the top, not the bottom. If there is somone who dislikes the lens, its usually and adaptation issue because the distortion moves differently.

Note though, its a soft design. Use the "Surmount WS" in when adds or 2.00 or more to keep the reading wide.

the lens MUST be fit on center too, because of the patented unique corridor, it will really mess it up if you are use to dropping 1 mm or more.

The Surmount should be in every opticians tool box, its truly a revolutionary design: Its great for prev. non-adapts, it has an intermediate 8X wider than many T shapes like the Auto II, its freaky clear, and it could be the best lens for low to mid power hyperopes ever made.
    Yes, yes, and yes! I have you to thank for introducing me to this lens. Increased clarity is something that I hear from my patients; I had a patient leave the office the other day only to step back inside and holler across the dispensary "THESE LENSES ARE AWESOME!!!". I took her out of a Physio Enhanced.

Thanks for the tip on the WS option, information like that is always welcome.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using the fitting tips provided by Sharpstick (thanks again), I've tried them again recently and have had much better results. I no longer feel reluctant to use them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Using the fitting tips provided by Sharpstick (thanks again), I've tried them again recently and have had much better results. I no longer feel reluctant to use them.
    Great Jefe, I hope it works to bring you viral referrals to your great office, as I always, I cheer on your success!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what vsp category is a surmount? "O"?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had alot of issues with the thickness on these lenses with the lab we use. I almost always have to reorder and give the thickness parameters that we receive to get them right? I make sure frame measurements are spot on and still receive with 2.2mm and up thin edges? Lab guy told me to specify the edge thickness i want, so I did and still received too thick. Does anyone else have these problems with them? When they get them right they look great though. The lab in question is US OPTICAL. The do great work on everything else we do there?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Dear Optician,
    I used Surmount lenses all the time and it is a "WOW" lenses.Price is better and outcome is Fantastic.I will say100% go for it withoout any doubt about this lenses.All my pt were extremely happy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    I have had alot of issues with the thickness on these lenses with the lab we use. I almost always have to reorder and give the thickness parameters that we receive to get them right? I make sure frame measurements are spot on and still receive with 2.2mm and up thin edges? Lab guy told me to specify the edge thickness i want, so I did and still received too thick. Does anyone else have these problems with them? When they get them right they look great though. The lab in question is US OPTICAL. The do great work on everything else we do there?
    Its not a Seiko issue, Surmount will finish thinner than most esp in Plus powers... are you ordering with REAL frame measurements taken with a PD stick?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    i have had this problem in past with Surmount in plus lenses for drill mounts with several labs. i have not found any solution other than to specify thickness when ordering, that does that trick. actually have had the opposite problem lately with Seiko free forms in full frame specs - lenses surfaced so thin that lenses are crazing from flex...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But, back to the original topic...patients love this lens...the only non-adapts were by people who were not good candidates for progressives and insisted on trying...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I read and I think if this wonderful lens is in my catalog? Maybe it's just a different named? Or it just for the U.S. domestic market?
    Thanks for any info.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps the next Seiko thread should be "Seiko Superior: What's not to like?" I've fit a couple of Surmount wearers with the Superior, and both wearers think the Superior is truly superior.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    i have had this problem in past with Surmount in plus lenses for drill mounts with several labs. i have not found any solution other than to specify thickness when ordering, that does that trick. actually have had the opposite problem lately with Seiko free forms in full frame specs - lenses surfaced so thin that lenses are crazing from flex...
    This is probably an issue in how their LMS is configured to calculate thickness. the Surmount uses a different set of Base Curves and the paramaters are all different. Let them know that Seiko will work with them on resolving the issue and making sure the defaults are chosen by the Seiko computer, not the LMS.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I universally dislike about Seiko lenses, or any other FF lens that does this for that matter, is having the engraved circles fitted ONLINE WITH THE PUPIL! Blechk!

B

Thread Information