Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Charged for adjustments in Chicago??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Can't believe one person had so much to say about charging or not charging for adjustments. We simply tell them that not charging them for an adjustment is all part of the service we provide, and if you like it, please consider coming back to see us next time you're in the market for another pair of eyeglasses. Our business is thriving with this paradigm, we like to call it old school service. In any event, charge or not charge, there is no way I could write 25 paragraphs aspousing the virtues, or not, of charging for adjustments. I sometimes get the feeling some people have such a big ego that they think people actually don't get bored in reading opinion after opinion from the same person,lol
    Then you should have learned that you are not consistently inconsistent as perhaps Johns is in his selective profiling. You are proof that consistent handling leads to a thriving business . Perhaps read the posts again .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We should all get each other's backs. If that is a 'real' in store-paying client, traveling, we should be kind to them as if they are our own. You never know if or when they will move there & become you good client!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One important factor that everyone should consider, if you do not charge for a service and you take reasonable care to adjust /repair a frame then you are not responsible for breakage. What they did in Chicago left them completely liable for the cost of repair or replacement of the frame. We do not charge for minor repairs and adjustments and chock it up to advertisement, even for the out-of-towners this has worked out well because they are so grateful that they tell many people how terrific that we are. By far this is one of the best returns on our advertising dollars.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that not charging is as optidumb as one can get. If you charge you are assuming responsability of the repair. If you dont charge you are still assuming the responsability of the repair. As an optometrists you probably dont give any part of your exam for free. There is no good opti samaritan laws. How many times have you gotten a tourist who has glaucoma and only wants his IOP check for free...dont think so and that only takes a second less than changing a screw. See what happens is that you and most people who give things away from the optical side have either no interested vested in optical or probably the opticians profession. You have been used to provide that service for free for years and the public views it as a right. The climate has changed and you still want to provide the service for free like the good old days when the internet wasnt there. It only will get worse and worse as time changes the enviroment completely. If you are to advertise, advertise in the media but not with your skills. If you think is just a matter of changing screws only a couple seconds you are so wrong. That screw changing may turn into a nightmare if it breaks or worse if the patient looses the lens later on and blames you for that and demands a free lens... Then you would have wished to have charge or simply not done it at all.
    CNG

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even though it smarts to be called optidumb, being in the business for 37 years and accepting many changes in that time, I personally feel it's optidumb to change a paradigm that has been successful for us for 37 years. And in the interim, I can feel a sense of value that patients come back to see us because they like our service. I will take the high road though and say, to each his own, or whatever works, or any other metaphor that emits the fact that there is more than one way to be successful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can see your point, if its not broken dont fixed it....still it does not take the fact that your business plan has to change to address the internet sales of eyewear in your community. In todays age, no matter how far away from civilization, the internet is there. The fedex express delivers and your bread and butter older clientele is simply eroding. Younger generations will and are savy or ignorant enough to try to save money. If you dont change your mentality and start doing what your best at and charging a fee to your non clients you simply be playing the game of the internet...go to any optician, optometrists or ophthalmologists offfice and they will measure your pd, seg height, let you try the frame and tell you which color they come in and size andthen hurry to your house and order from us, the internet Hurts doesnt it.
    CNG

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consumers are still dropping over $1k per pair at many brick & mortars.

Internet will always be an option (unless regulation gets in the way), but I see enough people who tried digitally surfaced lenses from a place that took actual measurements and are unsatisfied. As more and more people utilize the ever-advancing technology, I can only assume B&Ms will survive just fine. Even tightwads now have cable/satellite with high definition television.

Will people always be content with cr-39 or basic poly lenses, even with AR? I suppose people can get digitally surfaced lenses online but holy unwanted prism, Batman!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Liability

CNG, just to let you know, before I was an eye doctor I worked in an optical dispensary. I have performed every aspect of the optical profession, including edging with patterned and paternless edgers. My wife and daughter are also opticians. I have taken an optical shop that was teetering on the brink and built it up to gross 50k a month. So I believe that I have a little different perspective than the average optometrist. As for the liability issue, the laws are not opti-samaritan they are general laws for all professions. The following example is based on an actual legal ruling. A charitable function was being held at a function hall from 7-11pm and they were providing a free coatcheck service. After the function all the coats were returned except for three. The attendant waited until 11:40 then left the three coats on hangers in an unlocked room. One of the coats was reported missing and the charity coordinator was sued. The judge ruled in favor of the charity for two reasons. First the attendant provided reasonable time and care of the coat (this proved that there was no negligent behavior.) Second there was no charge for the service. If the service was a paid service then there would have been a higher level of expectation and responsibility. So if you do not charge for a repair /adjustment and you are reasonable in your care (not reckless) then you are not legally responsible. If you decide to charge for the repair /adjustment then you assume the liability of the cost of the frame.

Thread Information