Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charged for adjustments in Chicago??

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1 View Post
    One of our regular patients was in Chicago and needed her glasses adjusted. She stopped in to a local chain store, they proceeded to tell her that it would be a ten dollar charge for the adjustment.
    I go easy on travelers; They're vulnerable and desperate. They should be treated with the upmost of respect. Besides, it's good Karma. Usually no cahrge if parts are not required.

They melted her plastic frame, causing the magnet to pop out of the bridge, that held her clip on. They then tried to glue it back in and glued it in upside down.
    Attention consumers...Buy a spare pair- they don't have to be expensive, just functional. Take them with you when you travel.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not charge for adjustments. Never have in any of the Dr's office I have worked it. Criag however has an office in a Very, shall we say Very High end Mall. With I think no more then 50 shops like Anne Taylor and so on. They pay just to Breath there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell-Tower-Shops-Fort-Myers.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	8573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell tower 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	8575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell tower 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	8574

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shouldn't matter how much your rent is, if your services have value, and you want to get paid for them, you should charge.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We charge a minimum of $10 and it goes to charity; we are up to about$2,500 YTD with a goal of $5,000 to grant a wish. I get a few per month who do not want to pay; they are told we are not kidding and they leave not happy. Oh well! I would never ask for anything for free so why should I give my services and notepads away?

Our customers put in more money than anyone else; they also get charged and have no problem with it. They are asked to donate, not told as long as the glasses are under 2 years- than they need to donate.

It works for us!
    Faith Restored!!! I knew the tales of 8 year ago clients expecting warranty remakes or refunds and a new employee lasting mere minutes was just a couple odd days in Utopia!!! Welcome back Craig to the top of the pedestal, $2,500.00 in just over 4 months for what most on here give away free.... Awesome, simply AWESOME!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think I have a decent solution.

I have a little plaque made with optical services listed (repairs, nosepads, etc.)

If we have a non-patient drop in for a service, like an adjustment, I do it. I say that optical services are included in the cost of all our glasses, but since you're new to our office, the first one is a courtesy.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I have a little plaque made with optical services listed (repairs, nosepads, etc.)

If we have a non-patient drop in for a service, like an adjustment, I do it. I say that optical services are included in the cost of all our glasses, but since you're new to our office, the first one is a courtesy.
    Great Idea! It's simple and yet put's a value on our work...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As long as were all talking about free adjustments and all, where's the nearest tire shop where I can get a free steering adjustment / wheel balance, and while were at it how about a chiropractor office were adjustments are free too? Maybe one located close to the tire shop so I can get a quick tweak of the old back while the car is getting done........
    Thats not asking too much is it? I mean it's just an adjustment, no real parts needed, just a little knowledge and a few tools for each right? Other busnisses MUST operate in the same fashion as eyeglass shops, don't they?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course, there are charges for adjustments. Especially internet purchased eyeglasses bring into my store. Outside frame adjustments are also charged. There are always charges for replacement parts unless under our store warranty period. Customers need to be educated that eyeglasses also need maintenance just like their automobiles. My charges are small ($3, $5 or more depends on efforts spent) for adjustments and repairs. But I have high percentages customers insists on paying more for my services.

I do volunteering at local senior center and senior housing. At there, adjustments are always free (big or small), parts at super low rate. Donations are always welcome.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One more thing: Let your customer feel that you care about their eyeglasses.

Do the work in front of them. Inspect patient's eyeglasses thoroughly and explain to them what need to be done before any adjustment. Protect the eyeglasses from potential damage such as cover the counter with large size cloth, cover the lenses with a piece hard plastic before work on removing nosepad screws... Always teach them how to clean lenses and include that as part of your services.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    I do not charge for adjustments. Never have in any of the Dr's office I have worked it. Criag however has an office in a Very, shall we say Very High end Mall. With I think no more then 50 shops like Anne Taylor and so on. They pay just to Breath there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell-Tower-Shops-Fort-Myers.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	8573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell tower 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	8575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell tower 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	8574
    No picture of my store?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Do you ever get 10 per day who need new nose pads while cleaning, tightening everything and then fitting after they explain how they can't see but it is OK? Where do you go and expect any service for free? Air at the gas station cost $$.

I have no business model in mind where free is part of the expected program. Any I missed?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look: The whole question of "free" services is not so black & white. Many, many business offer discounts/coupon/groupons, etc., in order to entice clients (at reduced profits, or in the case of groupon, at a loss - unless you buy like Johns!)

Some us of choose to let people sample our strengths (FFSV, Transitions, etc) at reduced prices initially to build an annuity of repeat business going forward over the years.

My strength happens to be in fitting. I have no problem with simple adjustments/repairs at no charge, but then, I'm not in a tourist area either. Almost anyone walking into my shop is a potential long-term customer. We simply want to "hook" them.

Your mileage may vary, and it obviously does in this industry. That said, our entire field MUST come up with some pricing for our increasing exposure to a la carte services that online is unbundling from our previous packae pricing.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We charge $16 to replace a pair of nose pads on an "outside" frames, as well as "in house" frames older than 2yrs. We've never had an objection to the charge. We do, however, occasionally waive this fee for repeat clients that have done heavy business with us in the interim... our "frequent flyers".

Other than nose pads, we do not currently adjust or repair any "outside" frames. We always refer these clients back to their original dispenser. These days, it's usually a chain store. The truth is, they would have gone back to that store if they had a relationship or perceived it as having some value beyond inexpensive glasses.

I do like Craig's approach of charging and donating to charity. I'll have to give that some thought. On the other hand, twenty years ago, when I first got started, there was an older optician down the road that charged $25 for an adjustment. He was quite the master optician and had a great following. He didn't donate anything to charity and no one questioned paying for his services. Meanwhile, we were doing "free" adjustments.

Unfortunately, it's been way too many years since our business was dominated by professionals (the three O's). It may have been good business to adjust or service an "outside" frame. We were in essence taking care of each other and our collective profession. Sadly, those days are long gone, and some of the old practices need to go as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optokos View Post
    Unfortunately, it's been way too many years since our business was dominated by professionals (the three O's). It may have been good business to adjust or service an "outside" frame. We were in essence taking care of each other and our collective profession. Sadly, those days are long gone, and some of the old practices need to go as well.
    Very well said!

Sad but true! The strong change and adapt, the weak keep doing the same and wither and die!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We charge $16 to replace a pair of nose pads on an "outside" frames, as well as "in house" frames older than 2yrs. We've never had an objection to the charge.
    I'm moving to Wisconsin tomorrow! If I did that where I was people would go postal. Cheers to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think its crazy not to charge for anything that you do as a licensed professional. Things are changing and most of you are putting your heads and brains in the sand. You will be fixing someones glasses who bought them on the internet with a smile and that customer does not care about your services and no way he is coming back to you because he feels your services are not worth it. I give you five years and you will be practicing totally differently. If you want to advertise do it with an ad, give a cloth away or a pen or a calendar...but please dont give your services away.

Besides your B M practice you will be carrying prepacked screws, prepacked nosepads, prepacked/prepaid adjustments cards and my favorite one will be prepaid PD cards. Everything that is prepacked has a value. The big e internet plan has a flaw and it is exactly repairs, adjustments and PDs and Seg heights that every optician and optometrists is aware that is part of quality eyewear that the public is entitled. The ignorance of the public is so big that they do not realize they are getting substandard products when they purchase something that will be on their faces everyday. Shame on you, shame on me for allowing the uneducated consumer. We have practiced long enough with mediocre quality that is why the internet is flourishing but its never too late. We can't stop it but we certainly can put a bigger dent if we as a whole stop giving services away. YOUR SERVICES WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE. The internet cannot measure your PD accurately, change that nosepad, adjust the frame, cut the long temples or verify or neutralize your patients eyeglasses so why on earth do you want to give your services away. Wake up your actions affect the entire profession. Maybe next time you will start your eyewear introduction with this line...Lets see what frame looks great on you because you are going to wear it everyday for a long time and dont worry we will service your prescription eyewear for a long time too.

CNG

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This discussion reminds me of the 80's and 90's when the frame companies wanted to restrict/reduce the frame exchange thingy, but no one wanted to be on the bow of the ship that broke this "ice" when their competition wasn't all doing it as well.

Until all my *local* competition is ante-ing up on the service charge frontier, I'm not gonna be the "ice-breaker"?

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 04-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NEVER CHARGED FOR AN ADJUSTMENT.....NEVER WILL...........as for nosepads, to quote Betty White...DEPENDS.....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think everyone should charge for adjustments, and nosepads. Having said that, I have to say that I rarely charge.

I do "profiling" and include adjustments and pads with my extremely high(not really) frame prices. If I know they're not mine, I ask them how long they've had them. If it's recent, I charge...if not, and they say they can't wait to go back to them...I charge.

Like any situation, you have to play it by ear. At my urban store, we charge everyone, because we make so little on the original sale (medicaid?) anyway. We do hardly any adjustments there. Because they are free to them, they usually break or lose them before they need to be adjusted.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Very well said!

Sad but true! The strong change and adapt, the weak keep doing the same and wither and die!
    I'm coming around to this...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few of us have a vision for our future and it is bright; I am scared for others!
    Anyone who thinks it is good business to give away things scares me. I just start with that premise and Barry is one of the smartest guys I know, yet he does free adjustments and if I were in his area probably would be the same. But he charges like heck for his lenses and that is his comfort zone; get it, we all live in our comfort zone and that is both good and bad.

The bad is you do not change, but if it is working why change? You need to look at the future and be prepared to meet it head on with changes or you will perish a slow death.

I love the fact that you give free what I ask for a donation to a charity; that makes me very comfortable to be able to have a platform to promote my causes and raise $$.

I HAVE YET TO HAVE ANYONE TELL ME WHAT OTHER BUSINESS MODEL INCLUDES FREE- COUPONS DO NOT COUNT AS YOU PAID FOR THE RIGHT TO MAKE LESS $ AND THEY DO PAY FOR SOMETHING!

Craig - flame on!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all know that FREE services are never free.

You may think you get "FREE" services, but actually, you paid them one way or the other. Some are paid earlier, some you pay later.

And those of you who think you offer "FREE" services, you actually collect the fees at other times.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I tend to think that my patients value my services less by how much I charge and more by how much better and more courteous I am than my competitors. Furthermore, if 1 out of 100 free nosepad replacements results in a new patient, and I'm sure the number is higher than that, I count myself financially well ahead.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the person acts lik they expect it free, I charge. If they look like they don't have two nickles to rub together, I help them out- no charge. If I'm busy, I ask them to leave them and I'll get to them when I'm able. Most decline or want to know exactly when I'm not going to be busy. I need a crystal ball for that one.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    If the person acts lik they expect it free, I charge.
    I often do that as well! I love when they do the fake wallet grab and say "how much"? And when you say $5, they give you a strange look and say that they have to run out to the car for the money.

Thread Information