Thread: Quickest firing possible!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Quickest firing possible!

I hired a guy for p-t while he kept his day job as the manager for a big box in town; he only works 30-35 hours per week anyway. We open at 10 am and he arrived in the door at 10:08 am; to tell me something about going back 2 blocks for his Ipad. Hi shirt was not tucked in and he kept carrying his ipad for some reason.
    I told him if you arrive after 9:45 you are late and this is not how we do things. He got defensive and said it will not happen again.

I then asked him to change out a pair of nose pads on a pair of glasses; after realizing he was having trouble as he had a business card under the pad to prevent scratching. He told me the head was knarled and he has shaky hands in the morning after coffee, I took the frame and put the screw in correctly and it took 5 seconds, I am no great lab guy and pass off as much as possible. I asked him if there was another issue we needed to know about and told me that his factory store got a new computer system and he had to go help get the lack of cut out fixed. it was stressful for him.

At 10:20 am he was asked to leave and we would part ways. It is impossible to get help.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 04-14-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A good employee is a very hard thing to find, these days more than ever.
    In my opinion it is better, for your wallet - and for your patients satisfaction, to be understaffed than under-skilled.
    The last thing you would want to do is settle for less than what you feel your business and your patients deserve.
    I hope that you have better luck in the future!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Am I reading this right 10:08 to 10:20?

12 Minutes?

You're my hero!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That HAS to be a record. My fastest was three days!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I'd ask if you paid him for his time,
    but I'd guess that once you take the coffee into account, he'd probably owe you!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am really having a hard time adjusting to this Craig. In the old days *if you were to step into a pile of dog crap you would wipe it off and find a diamond. With the 8 year ago customers demanding refunds and a new hire lasting only 12 minutes Craig you are looking way too normal. I need more of the $15,000.00 eyewear sales posts to pick me back up. I thought there was a Nirvana in Florida but these stories as of late are really putting a tarnish on that.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig, you are not alone. We had one new *employee* who came in at the correct time, demonstrated a little bit of optical knowledge, but didn't want to wait on patients until she "got the feel of the place." So.....after 3 hours she went out for a lunch break, and never came back. No call. No nothing. And never cashed her check for 3 hours of work. Go figure?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hired someone last Friday, she worked Monday, and half of Tuesday. My accountant called me at noon to tell me that the direct deposit was all set up for her. I told him not to bother, I just hand wrote her a check for 12 hours, and told her, "Thanks, but no thanks."

I think she was related to Craig's ex-employee...

I would have 50 stores if I could find 100 good employees. Right now, I don't need 100, just 1.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure that you all aren't talking about the same employee, or family of employees??. Now that would be funny,....... no?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Are you sure that you all aren't talking about the same employee, or family of employees??. Now that would be funny,....... no?
    I've been to Craig's office, and it's 21.75 hours away from mine. Relatives? Maybe, but definitely not the same person. (nor the same gender)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seeing is believing! This was left by my oldest guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I hired a guy for p-t while he kept his day job as the manager for a big box in town; he only works 30-35 hours per week anyway. We open at 10 am and he arrived in the door at 10:08 am; to tell me something about going back 2 blocks for his Ipad. Hi shirt was not tucked in and he kept carrying his ipad for some reason.
    I told him if you arrive after 9:45 you are late and this is not how we do things. He got defensive and said it will not happen again.

I then asked him to change out a pair of nose pads on a pair of glasses; after realizing he was having trouble as he had a business card under the pad to prevent scratching. He told me the head was knarled and he has shaky hands in the morning after coffee, I took the frame and put the screw in correctly and it took 5 seconds, I am no great lab guy and pass off as much as possible. I asked him if there was another issue we needed to know about and told me that his factory store got a new computer system and he had to go help get the lack of cut out fixed. it was stressful for him.

At 10:20 am he was asked to leave and we would part ways. It is impossible to get help.

Craig
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens protection.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	8544

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ummmm.... I'm kinda feeling like a loser right now because I always use a business card to protect lenses when I change pads.

Of course I don't need a diagram on how to do it....

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I hired someone a awhile back who showed up to the interview early, had a great attitude, and was very motivated. I was excited to work with her. However, after a couple days on the job, I noticed her work ethic slipping, her attitude was horrible, and she seemed to not like or understand the fact that I was her boss. I was on the brink of firing her at any second.

I'm not really sure why I kept her a little longer. But I sat down with her and let her know exactly where she stood. Told her attitude sucked, her work sucked, and if she didn't want to get fired immediately it had better change. To this day, she is by far one of my best employees! We understand each other, she is constantly busy, and her attitude is what I first saw in her interview. She has taken it upon herself to learn new things, and even take some of the burden off my shoulders. It felt good to be able to tell her she was doing an amazing job.

So have no fear, there are tons of horrible hires out there, but sometime they just might surprise you and become an ideal employee!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    there are tons of horrible hires out there, but sometime they just might surprise you and become an ideal employee!
    I recall my third week at a job long ago under a manager who I had already nicknamed "Sarge" for the orders she barked all day long. One afternoon she took me aside and said "Look, I'm tired of telling you what to do all day, you need to take some initiative." I replied in all honesty "I thought that was the way you liked it". After that we worked very well together and are friends to this day.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    ...but sometime they just might surprise you and become an ideal employee!
    If I wanted surprises, I'd have hired a clown! (Oh wait...I did!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hired a young lady that lasted about 2 days. An older pt got so mad at her she told the girl that if she did not shut up she was going to hit her. I knew I had to let her go. She ended up working for a MD as a tech for the last 5 years. I just saw her on the news the other day. She was so dumb she had her 3 year old baby in the car seat in the front seat not buckled up and got in a car accident and killed the poor child. Now she will be in jail for the next 30 years.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a new girl to do computer work started at 8:00 am break at 10:00 am called 10:03 not coming back to hard of work. We were lucky
    Donald D Price

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens protection.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	8544
    My question is: Who has the green blood?

Occupation
    There is a place called Five Star Pizza in my town, when I worked there they had been open 24/7 so long they couldn't find the keys to close on Christmas! Seriously they parked a truck in front of the doors. Come January this place would have a stack of W2s 6 inches thick, keep in mind the whole business occupies ~1000 Sqft. We had a guy sneak out 20 minutes into his first shift, he didn't say anything but he did have the courtesy to clock out! We threw out a couple hundred pies an hour sometimes, it could be crazy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    My question is: Who has the green blood?
    We buy the best and most fancy paper towels for lens protectors! Not Available north of the border.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogu View Post
    We threw out a couple hundred pies an hour sometimes, it could be crazy.
    Finally! Someone on Optiboard that makes money!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Ummmm.... I'm kinda feeling like a loser right now because I always use a business card to protect lenses when I change pads.

Of course I don't need a diagram on how to do it....

Take the card and diagram and patent it!
    I have seen the same thing happening,these people who are running other establishments are there for one thing SELLING! They usually have virtually no knowledge of optical at all, Think of LensCrafters, Sears optical ect.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember the shortest job I ever had. I had just gotten back from college. I had interviewed w/ a companythat serviced the lights in grocery stores. Easy work easy money. Ishowed up at 5 AM at hotel the guy that was gong to train me tochange light blubs drove me for an hour to the Publix we were goingto work at.

We got there. He pulled out a 15 foottall ladder. And asked me to stand on the top and change the lightblub. I said the ceiling is at least 25 feet. He says” Stand onyour toes.”

I just looked at him and the other guythat he had hired. The other guy was like I will do it. I said Iquit, take me back to the hotel. So as we are driving back the guyasks me what I had in my lunch box. I told him 2 home madehamburgers. He smiles and says: “ I could be a **** and make youget out here or you could give me the burgers.” So I had to giveup my lunch for a ride. I felt so dirty.

I had to take a shower when I got home.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was a lab manager, I hired a person for customer service. at 10:30, she went for a coffee break and never returned. We joked for months about the"black hole" by the vending machines.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 36 years I have only had to fire two employees, one because she had an attitude so bad that she ticked me off...and that's really hare to do....and a lab guy who just had no clue. She lasted six months and he lasted about two. I did have one employee that I really liked and the customers loved her...she died of a heart attack 3 months after she started.

My shortest optical job 5 months, 25 days at a surfacing lab...I got dumped before they would pay unemployment.....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information