Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A friend and fellow Optiboarder has passed

OptiBoard Professional jrumbaug's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like a goon for not posting sooner.

Mark and I worked together at Marshall's Optical in 1975. I went to Marhall's Optical #2 which became Browning Eyecare, he went to Marshall's Optical #3 that became Valley Vision. For many years Mark supplied my uncuts via his RoMark Labs. We would swap stories about playing the bass guitar or just the subject of music in general. Or talk about computers and hardware, nerd stuff. I remeber him and Ann taking me and the wife on a boat ride at the lake. We had a good relation ship over 30+ years.

I beleive it was a Wednesday morning when Joe from Global Optical told me Mark was in hospice. It's strange that I heard the news from New York City and not locally. I and my wife went to visit him that night. Ann was there. She was glad to see us. I wasn't good company. Everytime I tried to talk, I just choked. Mark could not talk at this point. He was awake, bot not communicating.

I'm glad I got to see him and Ann one last time. I just regret not being there sooner to swap another story. Yes, I miss him, too

Jim Rumbaugh @ Browning Eyecare

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Mark was one of those individuals that didn't just talk the talk he walked the walk. I used to send him pictures of some tough work and he would send me back pictures of his tough work. After a while I started to notice that we started to incorporate each others techniques into our work, that's when I started goofing with lenticulars.

Mark used to grind the astigmatism on the front so that his bowls were always round, after tinkering a bit and messing around with formulas we were making bowls that were round or oval on astigmatic back surfaces, I could even orient the bowls long dimension in whichever orientation I wanted. We had conquered the lenticular. Or I had newly conquered the lenticular, while Mark just humbly sat there letting me enjoy a small victory.

Just before he passed we had discussed an idea, the problem was differing prisms for distance and near. That idea became an ah ha moment a few weeks ago and I had these great pictures that I was literally getting ready to send Mark when I realized, Marks not here anymore. Interesting, he would be the last person to come to mind when I think of a mentor, but here I am looking to send him a photo to see what he thought. Never a really formal relationship and I know others here talked to him more regularly on the phone and through e-mail but he meant a lot and still does.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Never a really formal relationship and I know others here talked to him more regularly on the phone and through e-mail but he meant a lot and still does.
    You, as well as the rest of Optiboard meant more to him than you'll ever know.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    I am sorry to hear this. I only knew Mark though Optiboard, but always enjoyed reading his posts. I'll miss "seeing" him here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a beautiful Christmas card the other day from Mark's wife, Ann. In it she asked if I would let you all know how much Mark enjoyed his Optiboard friends and how much we meant to him! She wishes us all a happy holiday!

I miss Mark!

Take some time during this hectic season to remember those that have gone before us!

Cherish today and everyday!

Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by Fezz; 12-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mark will be missed by all here on OB. My thoughts go out to his family at this time of loss.
    I came, I saw, I left

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Seems to Be A great Person.......Alongwith His Family ,Our Industry has lost A Important Professional too.........SAD NEWS !
    May his Sould Rest In Peace !

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Crap! I just logged back in after being away for several months. Mark, I will miss you and our conversations on the phone. You will truly be missed here on the board and your wit and wisdom will live on forever here in the digital world. To Mark's family - My sincere condolences. Rest in Peace my friend.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Although there are many on here that we only know by our "handles," I have learned much by having Mark involved in the threads that I have written/read. Thank you for sharing your craft with us all, as we grow in shared knowledge.

May God bless you and your family.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I posted the following in the pro forum where our friend documented his brave battle against cancer. One year ago today Mark Morris (DragonLensmanWV) passed away. Fezz thought I should post here also. Thanks Fezz..

One year ago today, we lost our friend. Please take a moment to remember him and remember your friends past and present. We are all better off having had them in our lives.

Rest in peace my friend....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Memorium, one year ago today we lost our friend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    In Memorium, one year ago today we lost our friend.
    Thanks for this. A unique individual that actually thought a problem through. He was a do'er not a say'er missing that a lot. Anyone have Ann's number it would be nice to give her a call and touch base today.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Thanks for this. A unique individual that actually thought a problem through. He was a do'er not a say'er missing that a lot. Anyone have Ann's number it would be nice to give her a call and touch base today.
    Text message sent!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been two years since our friend left us.

I think of him often. Optiboard is just not the same without him.

Take a few minutes and let the ones you love know how much they mean to you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    It has been two years since our friend left us.

I think of him often. Optiboard is just not the same without him.

Take a few minutes and let the ones you love know how much they mean to you.

Amen. Rest in peace Mark.

Occupation
    Pouring out a little liquor. I was amazed at his ability to see good and dream.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never shared this here before, but I think enough time has passed that it won't appear to be self serving.

Fezz called me at about 9:00PM, on April 11, 2012. He said that Mark health was rapidly deteriorating, and that it would be nice if we could do something to help him and/or his family. I think Fezz was on his way down to visit his folks in Fla. and wouldn't be able to get to WVa until he got back. I told him I'd see what I could think of.

I couldn't sleep, and at 3:00 in the morning, I texted my office mgr. and told her I wouldn't be at work that day. At 5:00, I got into my car and headed off to Wva. I reached his town at 10:30. Just before I arrived at his house, I stopped at a local grocery and bought some 12 packs of soda, bread, lunch meats, and snacks. I went to Mark's house, and (half-jokingly) told Ann that I was on a "special Optiboard mission", to bring this to Mark and his family. She was extremely appreciative, and said "You wouldn't believe how much Mark talks about you and all the Optiboard people...just like family." I told her "We are." She had just come from hospice, having spent the night, and insisted on me going up to see him. I told her that I didn't want to intrude on their family time, and she reminded me, "You ARE family."

I drove to the hospice center, and met Mark's brother in law, and his pastor. I put my hand on his shoulder and said that everyone on Optiboard is praying for him, and wishing him the best. I then proceeded to fill him in on what some of the latest posts had been, and in particular, what some of the folks that he and Ann had met at the UnExpos were up to. He wasn't awake, but his brother in law said that he could definitely hear me, as he could tell by the way he would get restless. The three of us prayed together, and then I left for home. As I walked in the door of my house at 6:30 that night, my phone rang, and it was Ann. She said that Mark had passed away about an hour after I had left. She thanked me, and again said that the people on Optiboard will never know how much they all meant to Mark, and I told her that she would never know how many people Mark had touched, and had a positive impact on.

I am posting this because so many of the posts mentioned how they knew Mark, and how he touched their lives. I wanted everyone to know that Mark thought of each and everyone of us as a member of his family, and really made little distinction between us and his blood relatives. He was a great guy that epitomized the saying, "Actions at louder than words."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have my hearing aid now, just might be able to hear him speak. Miss you Mark.

Thread Information