Thread: Thank you. You're welcome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank you. You're welcome.

Is it just me, but when did it become fashionable to respond to the statement...Thank you... with "no problem"? It makes me think, "I didn't know there was a problem". Common courtesy is changing. I was taught that the correct response to "Thank you" was "You're Welcome".

Oh, and when did it become OK to not even say "thank you" when someone does something for you. It seems that recieving help/whatever has become an entitlement. I hate that word. :(

Just had to get it off my chest.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 04-12-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Additional note
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    "You're welcome" or "My pleasure" is the only response allowed in my office (I thought I was the only nut case, Glad someone else notices)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, I never thought about it...I say both "my pleasure" and "no problem" I honestly never thought about how that must sound to people........"Thank You" for making me more aware of that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    You know, I never thought about it...I say both "my pleasure" and "no problem" I honestly never thought about how that must sound to people........"Thank You" for making me more aware of that!
    You're welcome.

Diane

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work for a practice that really changed my vocab for the better. Things like patients instead of customers, reception area instead of waiting room, my pleasure instead of you're welcome, and may I please place you on hold instead of hang on a sec. I thought it was stupid at first, but rolled with it, because really, what choice did I have. Now, when ever I hear my receptionist say hold on before she places someone on hold, it's like nails on a chalk board to me.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on the facial and verbal inflections- usually I hear it as "please, it was nothing". But if it looks and sounds like "not a problem this time, but next time not so much"...
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Is it just me, but when did it become fashionable to respond to the statement...Thank you... with "no problem"? It makes me think, "I didn't know there was a problem". Common courtesy is changing. I was taught that the correct response to "Thank you" was "You're Welcome".

Oh, and when did it become OK to not even say "thank you" when someone does something for you. It seems that recieving help/whatever has become an entitlement. I hate that word. :(

Diane
    All of this has always been such a pet peeve of mine.
    My blood just coagolates when I hear "no problem" I so want to reply with "I didnt say it was a problem. I said THANK YOU!"
    Now you better friggen say "your welcome" or "my pleasure"

Thank you very much

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chris, you missed your favorite adverb between "very" and "much"

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Diane
    Thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.

Diane

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I get extremely irritated when I hear the use of "My Bad." It's ok when I'm just with close friends and people I know as a joke. But there was one day I was doing some shopping at a very crowded mall. This young man was running through the crowd playing with his friend. He had to have been around 14-15. He plowed into me almost knocking me over and instead of a "I'm sorry, excuse me." or something similar. I get a half ***, "My Bad." and he runs off.

I hate that.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! I just had the chance to try out the new "thank you"/"you're welcome" thing....pt said "Thank you".....guess what I did....I said....."you're welcome!" Felt good, too! Just thought you'd like to know!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work for a gentleman who had previously been a concierge at the Ritz Carlton. He was very particular about his employee's verbage when answering the phone as well as face-to-face interactions. To this day Iask "May I please place you on hold?" when I am helping a patient on the phone and I shake hands with my patients after dispense and tell them "Thank you for your business, it was a pleasure to work with you."

I agree wholeheartedly Diane, common courtesy is simply not so common anymore.

Tim, if you see this- thank you for everything you taught me when I was a fledgling optician! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I moved to California from MN a few years ago. This has been driving me nuts, but I thought maybe it was a Cali thing. Sorry to hear it is so prevalent everywhere else! "No problem" after "thank you" makes it sound like it really was a problem, but you'll give me a pass this time.
    Thought it was just me...

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Diane
    ARRRGH! It drives me crazy when someone says that. I want to say "I'm glad me spending my money with you wasn't a problem"

Thank You Very Much

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I learned "Minnesota nice" growing up. I know that sounds weird, but for those of you familiar with Prarie Home Companiaion....anyway. I started catching myself saying "no problem" and "sure" instead of "thank you" and "you're welcome". I recently started changing back to Thank you, etc and it is amazing the responses I get. People are so much nicer when I started using them.
    So to you Diane,
    THANK YOU!!!!! You are correct that "my bad" is not an appology.
    I came, I saw, I left

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So..."de nada" (it's nothing) is out?

Thanks...

Which reminds me, are people less appreciative if the just say "thanks" instead of "thank you"?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate to admit it, but I am guilty of sometimes letting my proximity to New York and Philadelphia overcome my good manners and find my self saying the following when somebody tells me "thank you";

Faghettaboudit!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See, this is why I will never leave the South. I was born and raised in Nashville, TN. I moved to Oconomowoc, Wisconsin when I was in primary school and I never quite adjusted. When I had the chance, I moved back to Dixie and I've been content ever since.

I love how Southerners address each other, its so genteel and upbeat. Usually if I deal with a chippy patient they are unfortunately, 90% of the time, a Yankee. Being familiar with Wisconsinites I know not to take offence when those type of people get their backs up- they are used to pushing and shoving to get to where they need to be.

I find that people from the Northern East Coast are genuine, good-hearted people, same as Midwesterners, but they are a little more stoic and straightforward, sometimes abruptly so. I think it doesn't so much stem from rudeness as much as it's just a regional thing. It can be pretty jarring when you are used to the relaxed cadence of Southern conversation. Still, regional differences aside, there are no excuses for being self-centered and rude.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup working in Connecticut could make the toughest man cry like a baby. But it's all genuin. You never have to worry about someone saying something just to be nice.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My exit for the patient usually reads like this "if you have any questions or need any adjustments, feel free to stop by or give me a call, other than that we will see you next year. Thank you for your business!" Patients response is usually "Thank you!" I will make a "your welcome" if they were not a P.I.T.A. those that were the P.I.T.A. get the eye contact and a head nod.

Thread Information