Thank you. You're welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you. You're welcome.

Is it just me, but when did it become fashionable to respond to the statement...Thank you... with "no problem"? It makes me think, "I didn't know there was a problem". Common courtesy is changing. I was taught that the correct response to "Thank you" was "You're Welcome".

Oh, and when did it become OK to not even say "thank you" when someone does something for you. It seems that recieving help/whatever has become an entitlement. I hate that word. :(

Just had to get it off my chest.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM. Reason: Additional note
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

"You're welcome" or "My pleasure" is the only response allowed in my office (I thought I was the only nut case, Glad someone else notices)

Comment

You know, I never thought about it...I say both "my pleasure" and "no problem" I honestly never thought about how that must sound to people........"Thank You" for making me more aware of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Now I See View Post
        You know, I never thought about it...I say both "my pleasure" and "no problem" I honestly never thought about how that must sound to people........"Thank You" for making me more aware of that!
        You're welcome.

Diane

Comment

I used to work for a practice that really changed my vocab for the better. Things like patients instead of customers, reception area instead of waiting room, my pleasure instead of you're welcome, and may I please place you on hold instead of hang on a sec. I thought it was stupid at first, but rolled with it, because really, what choice did I have. Now, when ever I hear my receptionist say hold on before she places someone on hold, it's like nails on a chalk board to me.

Comment

It depends on the facial and verbal inflections- usually I hear it as "please, it was nothing". But if it looks and sounds like "not a problem this time, but next time not so much"...
            Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
              Is it just me, but when did it become fashionable to respond to the statement...Thank you... with "no problem"? It makes me think, "I didn't know there was a problem". Common courtesy is changing. I was taught that the correct response to "Thank you" was "You're Welcome".

Oh, and when did it become OK to not even say "thank you" when someone does something for you. It seems that recieving help/whatever has become an entitlement. I hate that word. :(

Diane
              All of this has always been such a pet peeve of mine.
              My blood just coagolates when I hear "no problem" I so want to reply with "I didnt say it was a problem. I said THANK YOU!"
              Now you better friggen say "your welcome" or "my pleasure"

Thank you very much

Comment

Chris, you missed your favorite adverb between "very" and "much"

Comment

Diane
                  Thank you.
                  Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Originally posted by rbaker View Post
                    Thank you.
                    You're welcome.

Diane

Comment

I get extremely irritated when I hear the use of "My Bad." It's ok when I'm just with close friends and people I know as a joke. But there was one day I was doing some shopping at a very crowded mall. This young man was running through the crowd playing with his friend. He had to have been around 14-15. He plowed into me almost knocking me over and instead of a "I'm sorry, excuse me." or something similar. I get a half ***, "My Bad." and he runs off.

I hate that.
                      -"Is this a matter of life or death?"
                      ---"No. this is a seg height."--
                      Seth, and Dalene

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
                      In matters of principle, stand like a rock."--
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey! I just had the chance to try out the new "thank you"/"you're welcome" thing....pt said "Thank you".....guess what I did....I said....."you're welcome!" Felt good, too! Just thought you'd like to know!

Comment

I used to work for a gentleman who had previously been a concierge at the Ritz Carlton. He was very particular about his employee's verbage when answering the phone as well as face-to-face interactions. To this day Iask "May I please place you on hold?" when I am helping a patient on the phone and I shake hands with my patients after dispense and tell them "Thank you for your business, it was a pleasure to work with you."

I agree wholeheartedly Diane, common courtesy is simply not so common anymore.

Tim, if you see this- thank you for everything you taught me when I was a fledgling optician! :)
                          "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

I moved to California from MN a few years ago. This has been driving me nuts, but I thought maybe it was a Cali thing. Sorry to hear it is so prevalent everywhere else! "No problem" after "thank you" makes it sound like it really was a problem, but you'll give me a pass this time.
                            Thought it was just me...
                            -Tony

Comment

Diane
                              ARRRGH! It drives me crazy when someone says that. I want to say "I'm glad me spending my money with you wasn't a problem"

Thank You Very Much

Comment

Working...
                              X