Thread: Anyone try the Spectangle App yet?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone try the Spectangle App yet?

I had a Hoya VIP come in (to see my MD) and he stopped in the office and we were chatting. He showed me this app for iPhone or iPad that can take ALL frame measurements. Anyone can buy it for $99...just wondering if anyone has tried it. I LOVE the name...Spectangle.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just heard about it, too....Looked at the overview on line. Looks pretty neat. I have been looking at the Optikam and I looked at a piece of equipment from Veatch @ VEE. While both are more advanced than this app (well, more bells and whistles, anyway), this may be more of an option for my office (lots more feasible, money-wise, too! Plus, I'd HAVE to buy an iPad!!! Boy, what a bummer that would be!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard it only works with the new iPad and not the I or II.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think it available yet. I went to the Spectangle site and clicked on the buy the app button (now this was a few weeks ago) and it said it wasn't available. As I understand they have another iPad app available in Europe that does just about everything the big units do....
    If Walmart has it I don't want it...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I couldn't find it in the app store?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's what I found. It doesn't measure such things as PDs or assist with fitting heights. http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/spectangle.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like an excellent news story on how even though technology is advancing the need for skilled opticians is still a must. Might lead into story about how many states are not liscensed ,etc..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i think this apps only available for certain country is it? btw any others apps to recommend :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm excited for this app to become available. I like an Ipad better than a big, honkin' Zeiss or Essilor set-up in our nicely arranged office. I have not seen it in action, I just recently met with our new Hoya rep who mentioned it. I don't think that the app will replace an optician's technical ability but I'm interested a ligitimate way to enhance mine. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The new Spectangle will work on all ipads, but is designed for the ipad 3. If you use an ipad 1 or 2, you can use a digital camera and import the photos onto the ipad. The problem with the ipad 2's camera is it is only 1mp., thus the photos for PD's and seg height will be too blurry to measure accurately. Spectangle will take all the measurements needed for free form lenses, but will also enhance the opticians ability to understand what each measurement looks like. It's a great teaching tool for experienced opticians to demonstrate with.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper More Details On Spectangle...........................

The HOYA free form company Spectangle-

A free form lens measuring device. With the advent of the most technologically advanced free form lens, the HOYALUX iD MyStyle lens from Hoya can now have its critical frame measurements taken and the patients lifestyle questionnaire filled out using the Spectangle app.

Pantoscopic Angle, Face Form Angle, and Vertex Distance can all be taken accurately using an iphone, itouch or ipad 2. The first generation ipad can be used by importing the photos via the attachable camera input. The ipad family can utilize a high megapixel camera to take the measured photos, thus allowing incredible zoom for accuracy. Hoyas MyStyle iDentifier is an interactive tool that gathers various categories of data to precisely profile each individual patient creating a lens uniquely for them. Spectangle gives the user the ability to take the critical measurements the MyStyle iDentifier needs to create the personalized lens.

These measurements include: The wearers pantoscopic and face form angles, positioning of the lenses for accurate directional success. The frame corneal distance, specifying how the lens is worn to reach optimum viewing potential. Lastly, the patients lifestyle requirements; such as their interests, choices and activities that effect vision on a daily basis.

All data collected by Spectangle can be emailed to the office email to be reviewed at a more convenient time. This allows the optician to later input the crucial measurements into the MyStyle iDentifier at their pace.

The unique experience of personalizing a lens for a patient can be a more time consuming process than the typical progressive fit, but the overall benefits far out way the extra steps involved. Making the measurement process simple and timely is where Spectangle has its advantage.

Downloads --------------------------> http://downloads.yahoo.com/software/...tangle-s570511

While the MyStyle iDentifier requires more data than Spectangle takes into account, its cost effectiveness allows any office to take the same important frame measurements as those of the expensive free form instruments.

Spectangle can be implemented on up to five devices per account, thus benefiting your office if all opticians desire to have their own devices. Spectangle is a simple, accurate and cost effective means to solve your free form lens measurements.

To me this looks like a HOYA only system, check ay ----------------------------> http://www.hoyaluxid.com/index.php?S...&page_id=17490
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-29-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know why this app is no longer available?

Bad address email on file Psychobablr7's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to our rep they still had more to do to it. It is available now and was officially re-released on july 23rd.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I heard it only works with the new iPad and not the I or II.
    it works with the iPad 2 as well just the pics are not as good

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody using this yet?

Feedback?

I have watched/read the info on Hoya's site. My first thought is that it may be viewed as sort of hookey from the patient's perspective. They may get the impression that if it can be done on an iPad.......why don't they do it themselves online?

Anybody?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Anybody using this yet?

Feedback?

I have watched/read the info on Hoya's site. My first thought is that it may be viewed as sort of hookey from the patient's perspective. They may get the impression that if it can be done on an iPad.......why don't they do it themselves online?

Anybody?

I agree. While using an iTerminal or Optikam may impress someone, using a cell phone might make a client uncomfortable. It may create a case of future shock.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a quarterly fee for using Spectangle? Or is it just a one time buy?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by witty optician View Post
    Is there a quarterly fee for using Spectangle? Or is it just a one time buy?
    One time buy.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    it does measuer pd & fitting height. You take four pics and you can get all measurements. PD, seg ht, wrap, panto, A, B, DBL, etc... if you are ordering the ID mystyle lens you can order it directly from the iPad and it links to the Lab. pretty cool!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

spectangle

it does measuer pd & fitting height. You take four pics and you can get all measurements. PD, seg ht, wrap, panto, A, B, DBL, etc... if you are ordering the ID mystyle lens you can order it directly from the iPad and it links to the Lab. pretty cool!

The spectangle app is not compatible with the iPhone. that is a different app. I would not use the iPhone with a patient to gather this information. The spectangle app is $499 and can be used with the iPad mini, iPad 2, but mainly for the new iPad. There is also a rewards program through hoya to help offset the cost of the iPad and the app but you would need to get with your local hoya rep for more information.

It has been very successful and patients love the technology of the iPad versus the old "dotting of the eye"

another app that works perfectly with it is the HVC viewer app and i believe it's only $99. it's a point of view app where the patient can look out through the ipad camera and the optician can change the prescription on the fly along with the type of lens the patient is getting i.e. free form, polarized, computer, etc... so they can see what their new lens would look like! it's awesome! you can change from with and without anti- reflective, polarization, and many other things right there in your office on the fly!

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by lcgordon View Post

The spectangle app is not compatible with the iPhone. that is a different app. I would not use the iPhone with a patient to gather this information. The spectangle app is $499 and can be used with the iPad mini, iPad 2, but mainly for the new iPad. There is also a rewards program through hoya to help offset the cost of the iPad and the app but you would need to get with your local hoya rep for more information.

It has been very successful and patients love the technology of the iPad versus the old "dotting of the eye"

another app that works perfectly with it is the HVC viewer app and i believe it's only $99. it's a point of view app where the patient can look out through the ipad camera and the optician can change the prescription on the fly along with the type of lens the patient is getting i.e. free form, polarized, computer, etc... so they can see what their new lens would look like! it's awesome! you can change from with and without anti- reflective, polarization, and many other things right there in your office on the fly!
    ''HVC viewer app ''...........may you please give the link to find this app ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by manoj_verma View Post
    ''HVC viewer app ''...........may you please give the link to find this app ?
    go to the apple app store and search for HVC viewer app

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It should be noted that Dr. Shaw has tested all the measuring devices and Apps and found their capabilities far behind that of a simple PD stick and pupilometer.

As well, no App meets HIPAA requirements yet. Apps are not secure, they share data and programming inherently across the device. What that means is that if that device goes missing, you have to file a notice with HIPAA and inform every patient in your practice by mail that their healthcare information has been compromised, unless you can PROVE that is has not. Now impossible because the device you need to prove it, is now gone. The fine for failing to report a HIPAA computer violation is $1 million.

It should be noted that the single largest cause of HIPAA violations is the loss of a portable device, like a tablet or iPad.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would presume the reason the spectangle app is not available is because in the initial test there was too much variation in regards to parallax and head posture. The measurements were inaccurate when I tested it on myself at VEW last year. The Ipad app for the Optikam should be out early 2013 which will take the same accurate measurements as the Kiosk. I use the Optikam daily and can testify to its accuracy.
    When I tested the spectangle, I could manipulate my head so I could make just about any PD and seg height I wanted it to be. The representative demonstrating did not know how to reply to the inconsistent measurements and then advised me that I might be better getting the Optikam. The last thing you, your patients and the lens manufacturers want is to get is redo’s from fitting errors. The reason the Optikam is accurate is because the system detects parallax so the monocular pupillary distance are accurate and consistent and captures your head posture so the seg heights are also consistent and accurate. Another reason I like the Optikam is that with only one picture It captures the PDS, seg Heights, Face form, Panto Angle and vertex distance.

Thread Information