Options for an 8.50 Add

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for an 8.50 Add

Have a gentleman with a +12.00 distance and an 8.50 add. Wearing an aspheric lenticular round seg style. Wants to know what other options are available. My lab guru is away for the day so I thought I'd throw this out here. He'd really prefer a flat seg.

Franklin?

Comment

Younger has a FT28 and FT35 "Special Adds"; maybe not special enough for you tho as they only come to +8.00.
      -Tony

Comment

Originally posted by edKENdance View Post
        Have a gentleman with a +12.00 distance and an 8.50 add. Wearing an aspheric lenticular round seg style. Wants to know what other options are available. My lab guru is away for the day so I thought I'd throw this out here. He'd really prefer a flat seg.
        http://www.aire-o-lite-optical.com/ But they are not aspheric.
        Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

This looks like a Low Vision Rx, where adds are 2X, 3X, etc adn every X= +4.00. So your +8.50 Add is actually a 2X add.
          www.eyeassociates.com/PDFs/Low%20Vision%20Eyewear.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by TLG View Post
            Younger has a FT28 and FT35 "Special Adds"; maybe not special enough for you tho as they only come to +8.00.
            With 20 diopters to work with, getting an extra half by vertex adjustment will be easy enough; inevitable, in fact, unless you use the rivet gun technique.

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
              Franklin?
              Ditto

Comment

We just had a Free-form round seg-bifocal with a backside add in +13.50sph +3.50 cyl with a +3.50 add. The front was spherical, but if you stacked the adds you could do the same with one on front, one on back. You could get to +8.00 in theory by using a bifocal blank vs spherical.

It was an ICE-TECH dual zone and came out very thin in 1.74. It looked amazing, like it was only a +7 or so.

Comment

90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Comment

Thanks for all the options. The only one we're right out rejecting is the Franklin.

/sorry Jacqui :)

First things first is getting this guy into the right frame. He's interested in using his own. I'll have to see if the nose cheese is holding it together.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20d.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	868271

Here's the +11.50 with the 8.50 Add. 350 on the front seg and 5 on the back in a 1.67 blended. 4.9 at thickest point on the back bubble.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8598[/ATTACH]

Here's the +11.50 with the 8.50 Add. 350 on the front seg and 5 on the back in a 1.67 blended. 4.9 at thickest point on the back bubble.
                        Nice.

I'm getting dizzy counting all of the optical centers (four)!

Did you start with a 1.67 ST lenticular? I didn't know that was an option. The back was surfaced on a free-form generator, creating the power curve and the round seg? What are the front and back curves, and are they aspheric or optimized in any way? Most importantly, how is your client getting along with them?
                        Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                          Nice.

I'm getting dizzy counting all of the optical centers (four)!

Did you start with a 1.67 ST lenticular? I didn't know that was an option. The back was surfaced on a free-form generator, creating the power curve and the round seg? What are the front and back curves, and are they aspheric or optimized in any way? Most importantly, how is your client getting along with them?
                          Heh! Front curve is an 8 base. I didn't clock the back. I'm uncertain of the rest but as far as he's concerned his vision was noticeably better from the first second he put them on.

Comment

So how far away is he focusing at near?

What a great job btw.

New slogan for your place-- "We do the ridiculous. The impossible takes one more week."

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                              So how far away is he focusing at near?

What a great job btw.

New slogan for your place-- "We do the ridiculous. The impossible takes one more week."
                              About 6-8 inches. His best corrected is 20/100. Oddly enough his hobby is making telescope lenses....by hand!

Comment

Working...
                              X