Night driving lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night driving lenses

Hi, what are the tinted lenses recommended for night driving? i always had the idea that yellow tinted lenses was the answer till i read this article from http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

FYI, i do not have any prescription for myself so any suggestions as to what i should get?

I think all opinions about efficacy of night vision eye-wear need to be redefined.

Does driving in 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic, constitute a "night time" driving condition?

Can you see the overhead celestial bodies, and identify them clearly, might be a truer "night time driving" condition?

This orb, that we reside on is glowing with artificial night time lighting, which makes it less of a "night time" driving condition than it was a mere 20 years ago.

I believe that you should have your night vision properly tested, corrected, and filtered/ARd in a custom way that works best for your particular eyes, age, vehicle, and driving conditions, geographical considerations mixed in.
    Eyes wide open

Comment

The best types of night driving glasses are anti-reflective coating. Zircon and silicon are the elements that make up this type of film. This type of glasses is different from sunglasses which shield light, instead these glasses that are specially coated to provide more light. This is helpful in making your vision better in dark.

Comment

would something like i.scription lenses help?

Comment

Originally posted by 12345 View Post
          Hi, what are the tinted lenses recommended for night driving? i always had the idea that yellow tinted lenses was the answer till i read this article from http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

FYI, i do not have any prescription for myself so any suggestions as to what i should get?
          I have not found a yellow, amber, or orange tint that works any better than a lens with a premium anti-glare coating. The real issue at night is high order aberations that are caused due to increased pupil size at night which causes the starburst, halos, and blurriness at night. The best way to solve this issue is an AR coating. What you might also explore is a FreeForm PAL or SV lens to give you better vision at night. The HOYA ID SV lens is the best SV FreeForm on the market. As for PAL's I would go with the HOYA ID MyStyle or Zeiss Individual. However, to get all the benefits from the Individual you must be measured with an iProfiler. The results from the iProfiler are yet to be proven though. I have a corneal transplant and it didn't work on me. Now that I think of it. The IZON lens might work for you too. Again, must be measured by a special machine. Wavefront tech. is still in its infancy and I think has a long way to go before it is truely effective. I have also seen research that wavefornt tech in a spex lens doesn't really make the difference anyway. Hope this helps!
          Big V - ABOC-AC

"ABO - Learn it, get it, keep it, apply it!"

Comment

As I understand, that's where they shine.

Comment

I work Kalichrome for years for shooting. It was great for driving on cloudy days, but I never noticed any real value for night driving.
              "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Comment

I don't recommend any tints fro night driving, but a -.50 with an AR coat seems to help a lot of folks.

Comment

The minus fifty probably helps myopes which are about -0.50 more myopic at night. Don't know about hyperopes either way.

Chip

Comment

sometimes I wear my drivewear pair at night if im in the city & have a lot of opposing headlights - works exceptionaly well. I also know of at least one Ophthamologist who reccomends them following cat. surg.

Comment

Originally posted by lind2020 View Post
                      sometimes I wear my drivewear pair at night if im in the city & have a lot of opposing headlights - works exceptionaly well.
                      Me too. I never tell customers they're safe for night driving though.

Comment

This may be of interest.

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

That was interesting. Thanks.

Comment

agreeing with the reply above: Yes, i.Scription [Zeiss] is definitely suited to deal with this. What a lot of patients don't realize is that a lot of issues with night vision can be due to high-order aberrations. Another lens which may be even better (and really is the only other option when it comes to wavefront guided lenses) is the iZon made by Ophthonix. It's essentially the same thing; however, their system of aberrometry is different. While Zeiss uses the typical Hartmann-Shack system, Ophthonix uses Talbot-Moire aberrometry which is supposed to be more accurate due to a higher number of data points. Also, each manufacturer supposedly has slightly differing systems of designing and manufacturing. I don't have interferometry equipment here to test any of these lenses, but there are a few studies on each. The only down side to using these types of lenses is that it is virtually impossible in typical optical shops to check lenses against what the lens is supposed to be. You pretty much have to put full faith in the manufacturer.
                            Last edited by musicvirtuoso; 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

As you mentioned you do not have any prescription, i think you do not need any lenses.

when there a lens in front your eye, definitely there is less light able to reach you retina for you pupil to respond. as for night driving, pupil dilation, poor concentration and some other environment factor will sure causing a certain level of abberation.

for this issue personally think that is important to make you patient understand the situation and manage what they are expecting on the new lenses.
                              Yeap

Comment

Working...
                              X