Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night driving lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Darryl, I have one other question, if you don't mind. (I know this is really off topic - sorry everyone)

In the UK, Zeiss recently updated their product range so that their main progressive designs are: Individual 2, Progressive Superb, and Progressive Plus 2.

Our rep told me they basically shuffled their pack, so PP2 is the old GT2-3D, PS is the old Individual, and the Individual 2 is a new design. Is this information correct?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually you only "see" though about 1-2mm of the cornea. And before you start I know about peripheral vision. But you can block out almost all central vision with about a 1.5mm opacity held 6-12 mm from the cornea. I have seen contact lens patients see just fine though a 7.5 mm translating bifocal contact lens. Not many but some.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Chip. I'm not an optician so biology of the eye is not my forte, but I love to learn... although I might study to be a doctor at some point soon.

My question still applies, though just on a smaller scale.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Presumably the compensation points will have to cover the width of the cornea (we are mapping corneal abberations, correct?) so that all the abberations are taken into account simultaneously. Now, the width of the human cornea is roughly 1cm, so what happens if the eye turns 0.5cm? Will the corrective points not become misaligned?
    This only applies if you have attempted to correct the high-order aberrations of the eye with a spectacle lens. Just as correcting second-order sphere and cylinder power results in induced first-order prism away from the center, correcting third-order aberrations results in induced second-order sphere and cylinder errors.

In fact, this limitation is the reason why spectacle lenses with wavefront-guided prescriptions do not correct high-order aberrations. These lenses simply provide an optimal low-order (sphere and cylinder) correction that accounts for the influence of high-order aberrations upon vision quality.

There are a few threads that discuss this on OptiBoard, but you should read this article from Dispensing Optics, if you want to learn more about this stuff.

In the UK, Zeiss recently updated their product range so that their main progressive designs are: Individual 2, Progressive Superb, and Progressive Plus 2. Our rep told me they basically shuffled their pack, so PP2 is the old GT2-3D, PS is the old Individual, and the Individual 2 is a new design. Is this information correct?
    Yes, that sounds correct, although Individual 2 actually offers a few improvements over the previous Individual, so the two lens designs are not necessarily identical.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thank you Darryl for all your help. I wish you were my Zeiss rep!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Now, the width of the human cornea is roughly 1cm, so what happens if the eye turns 0.5cm?
    Width of cornea is about 12mm. Are you are asking what happens if the eye turns 50mm?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    No, but thanks. Darryl has answered my questions. I did say 'roughly' by the way.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually the width of the average cornea is 13.2. The width of the visible iris appears to be near 12 mm but most are somewhat smaller (11/11.5mm) and gets some magnification from the anterior chamber/cornea. The average healthy cornea is about 1 mm.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I work at a optical store and we have our own eye doctor. Most our customers need polarized lenses for driving use at day time and they need yellow tint lenses without anti-reflective coating for driving at night. However, latest prescription is necessary for both day time use or night use driving glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Welcome to Optiboard Big V!

Quote Originally Posted by Big V View Post
    ....Hope this helps!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Welcome to Optiboard 12345!

Here are two old threads that might be of some help:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...=night+driving
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...192#post294192

Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
    Hi, what are the tinted lenses recommended for night driving? i always had the idea that yellow tinted lenses was the answer till i read this article from http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

FYI, i do not have any prescription for myself so any suggestions as to what i should get?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Welcome to Optiboard Alexa007!

Quote Originally Posted by alexa007 View Post
    The best types of night driving glasses are anti-reflective coating. Zircon and silicon are the elements that make up this type of film. This type of glasses is different from sunglasses which shield light, instead these glasses that are specially coated to provide more light. This is helpful in making your vision better in dark.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The yellow color on the lenses are to add light to the lenses. However, it is not simply the yellow tint, just the similar as the yellow tint.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Europe (France, specifically) several years ago I found night driving glasses available OTC - they were tinted a light yellow, and had AR on both surfaces, and a -.50D power. I bought a pair at about 20 Euros, and found that they did improve night vision.... however, you'll probably never see them in the US.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Assuming a person already wears glasses or contacts, according to the Ciba sales rep I was talking to recently, their Air Optix and Night and Day contact lenses have an increase in minus power near the periphery of the lenses due to their bi-aspheric design. So if a person does have a myopic shift with the increased pupil size at night this may help. I'm not sure if other contact lenses have this design.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Continuation of i.Scription/iZon debate here.

Thread Information