Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique monacle! Anyone familiar? Any collectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique monacle! Anyone familiar? Any collectors?

Hey guys, so I just came across a pretty unique piece of history. This is a monacle that was used by the late Salvatore Dali. From what I know it was crafted in the late 1950's. The person whom owns it says it is worth big bucks. Has anyone seen a monacle like this? I threw it in the lensometer and I cant get a good reading, anywhere from -12.00 to -15.00 with some centrifugal rings on the lens that are distoring the diopters, it in a way, it looks like a fresnel press on. Anyway here are some pics, if anyone is familiar with anything like this please message me. I want to know if it is a one-of-a-kind item and really worth any real money. Also if any collectors out there are interested shoot me a message. Thanks in advance for any info!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	874139Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	874140Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	874141

I am a collector.

What makes you think that these are really Dali's?

Did they bring it in just to show you or are they trying sell it to you?

Any documentation?

Comment

They gotta be Dali's Fezz. Just look at one of his paintings!!

Comment

If he owned it why would it be in a presentation box like that, where his name looks like a brand?

Comment

Yes Fezz, from what I understand they were actually Dali's. The guy was asking if I knew about anyone who could fix that chipped lens, he has the piece that chipped off. He is a limo driver for many famous people, and claimed he also has pictures of Dali using them. He seemed interested in selling it, claiming it was worth upwards of 20k. I have more pictures if you would like.

Comment

It would be worth more whitout being fixed in my experience.

Comment

If he had a picture of Dali using them it may be worth more.

The case seems really hokey to me.

Comment

Was Dali that high a myope -12.00 to -15.00? I've never seen any pictures of him wearing glasses. Who would put that high a minus Rx in a hand held monocle in front of their eyes just to walk around or to see anyting in front of them. He would have to hold this in one hand and paint with the other. Monocles are usually plus lenes that are used for magnifiying near print. Dali was quite the showman and alot of his artwork is faked. He even supposedly sold something like 50,000 blank,signed, art quality sheets to whomever to paint what they wanted on them so they could resell and also make money. I would be very suspicious of this monacle belonging to Dali without serious documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye View Post
                  Was Dali that high a myope -12.00 to -15.00? I've never seen any pictures of him wearing glasses. Who would put that high a minus Rx in a hand held monocle in front of their eyes just to walk around or to see anyting in front of them. He would have to hold this in one hand and paint with the other. Monocles are usually plus lenes that are used for magnifiying near print. Dali was quite the showman and alot of his artwork is faked. He even supposedly sold something like 50,000 blank,signed, art quality sheets to whomever to paint what they wanted on them so they could resell and also make money. I would be very suspicious of this monacle belonging to Dali without serious documentation.
                  Exactly!

The only thing that interested me is the power and quality of the "lens". He often worked with distorted and skewed views. Occluding one eye and having the the other very over corrected and altered would fit his MO.

Intriguing to say the least.

Comment

Yes, the guy said that it was used when he painted. Peering through it with your other eye closed gives a really distorted, prismatic, psychedelic perception to whatever your looking at.

He said he will come back with some documentation and even pictures of this actual one being used.

If it all is true would anyone know what the value of this could be? Also as a collector would you be interested in buying it?

Comment

Also, the lens is a very thin, extremely subtle bi-concave plastic. I'll try and take more pictures of it to show greater detail of what I'm talking about.

Comment

I would love it, but would not spend the money on it.

Here are a few leads that might help. I have not used these companies, know nothing about them, don't profit by referring, etc. just trying to help!

www.salvador-dali.org

http://www.house-of-francheska.co.uk/vintagedesigns220.htm

Comment

Comment

Thanks Fezz, much appreciated. If I can get my hands on it by offering some free or discounted specs to the guy I will let you know.

He is quite a character and I may be able to get it really cheap, he seems like the type of guy that is in desperate need of money right now and looking to sell anything he has accumulated from celebrities over the years of driving them around.

Comment

Originally posted by Java99 View Post
                              If he owned it why would it be in a presentation box like that, where his name looks like a brand?
                              Excellent observation. I agree.
                              90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Comment

Working...
                              X