Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's going on at Luxotica

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They were not fired. Just that the DelVeccio Bros. are a little tied into the president's great Crysler giveaway to Fiat and lux want's the sales people to walk and reduce thier carbon footprint!
    Got tired of hearing the Rep's complain about the fact they couldn't make any money with today's gas prices so Lux told them to walk and reduce gas cost and carbon footprint.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    They were not fired. Just that the DelVeccio Bros. are a little tied into the president's great Crysler giveaway to Fiat and lux want's the sales people to walk and reduce thier carbon footprint!
    Got tired of hearing the Rep's complain about the fact they couldn't make any money with today's gas prices so Lux told them to walk and reduce gas cost and carbon footprint.

Chip

Chip your right in a strange way. The problem is they don't want to pay competant people to do the jobs. Look at LensCrafters, Sears and there other brands. Most couldn't tell the difference between a slab off and executive lens. Come on! You know and I know we have run across these people and basically they are brain dead as far as optical is concerned. Just my 2 cents!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Chip your right in a strange way. The problem is they don't want to pay competant people to do the jobs. Look at LensCrafters, Sears and there other brands. Most couldn't tell the difference between a slab off and executive lens. Come on! You know and I know we have run across these people and basically they are brain dead as far as optical is concerned. Just my 2 cents!
    Actually, they pay pretty good to whomever they can get! I am on the verge of considering shuttering one of my offices because I can't get ANYONE, competent, or otherwise, to work. We are offering competitive wages, and great hours, but nobody even applies! Show me competent people , and I'll hire them. Heck, show me anyone and I'll hire them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Actually, they pay pretty good to whomever they can get! I am on the verge of considering shuttering one of my offices because I can't get ANYONE, competent, or otherwise, to work. We are offering competitive wages, and great hours, but nobody even applies! Show me competent people , and I'll hire them. Heck, show me anyone and I'll hire them.

I stand by what I said! At least in NY from what I have seen my scenario holds true.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you tried offering slightly higher wages?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Have you tried offering slightly higher wages?
    In our area, if you get $18, you are doing really good. I offered $25, and the silence was deafening.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need a location in the Indianapolis area, Johns

Of course, there are several who may be more interested in the health benefits, 401K, and the like.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our area, if you get $18, you are doing really good. I offered $25, and the silence was deafening.
    Wow! I'm surprised.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Still proud to be ABLE
    I came, I saw, I left

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back to the Lux stuff....

Do you all think that the rep on the road is an efficient way to sell frames? The companies that have no on-road reps seem to have lower prices.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Back to the Lux stuff....

Do you all think that the rep on the road is an efficient way to sell frames? The companies that have no on-road reps seem to have lower prices.

Harry
    I agree. I don't see reps, but my friends that are reps are even resorting to more phone sales, and one is even building her own website to peddle her company's frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand that companies would like to phase out reps for on line catalogues and such, but I'm a hands on kinda guy. It may look good in a picture, but feel like a real piece of crap when its in my hands!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1:420775

I think the aforementioned issue of wanting to hire sales people instead of opticians is the problem here.

If you were great at selling lingerie at Victoria's Secret then of course you're ready for upper management at Lux!

The sales piece is solid at Lux right now, so expect that trend to continue.

I would think this will give an edge to smaller shops that still practice opticianry.

Thread Information