Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customers came in after 7 years to complain about lenses!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Customers came in after 7 years to complain about lenses!!

We had a husband and wife come back yesterday and go off on us about our lack of quality products. How can her glasses be so bad in such a short time! My wife dealt with them at first and tried to be nice, but the lady wanted new lenses for free after 7 years!

She wanted a guarantee if she bought new lenses this would never happen again; they were asked to leave after we found the order from 7 years ago.

Who comes back after 7 years and is nasty? I told them it was like bringing the car back after 150,000 miles when the car has a 30,000 mile warranty and they think they are entitled.

It ruined our day and I am calling the person at the newspaper who goes after businesses that do not do the right thing, how about a customer who is crazy.

Ranted and feel better.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well there is a full moon coming up this week

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad that my office is not the only one dealing with whackos!

I am glad that you told them to beat it! Let them go ruin someone else's day. You work too hard to deal with idiots!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Unfortunately, nobody has the market cornered when it comes to whackos.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorites are the ones who want us to give them free lenses when they fall out of frames with loose screws.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    Unfortunately, nobody has the market cornered when it comes to whackos.
    Amen. :)

My assistant (who has a much more kind and patient heart than I do sometimes) went rounds with a guy yesterday because his temples did not sit evenly on the top of a table when he took his glasses off. I was lurking around in case I needed to intervene and I heard him take her to task (loudly) for those poorly-made "crooked glasses". She handled him well and resolved his issue by truing the frame to the table like he asked. Apparently he thinks it's normal to have one temple ride up above his ear, LOL! Unfortunately, if he tries the same blowhard routine with me, he may pull back a stump! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I had a repeat customer Friday who came back to us with an updated outside Rx from a local OMD amidst a stack of Costco quotes (somehow extra conspicuous to make me feel "pressure", I'm guessing) who flattered by saying "I'm back here because of your excellent service last time". (Nice, but a little over the top--again: pressure applied.)

He wanted new polar poly SV for his existing Nike sunglasses, and he has VSP, which determines the "lens copay" and even the upcharges for poly and polarized. When I totalled it, he swore he paid $20-30 less in 2010, and there must be a "mistake". He asked me to look up what he paid last time, or he'd go get his old receipt (yeah, right. I'm sure that's in a handy location!).

I said, "Mr. Red Herring Negotiator, it doesn't matter what you paid two years ago. Your vision plan says you're paying $X this time. Look at how much you're saving over our U&C of $XX"

Then he says: "Well, I get 20% off that overages amount, right?".

"NO!"

People like this are just out to screw you and get the best deal they can. Some are truly crazy, but some are ruthless negotiators and some are super-squeaky wheel people who throw a fit and try to intimidate you in front of your clients. Don't be a patsy!
    Last edited by drk; 04-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's too early in the morning. This thread is actually making me nauseous
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig, I understand that a normal store would feel it is an outrageous thing for a customer to have beef after seven years but if they paid.. lets say 10k for the lenses and the frame as you have said in the past that your sales are that high, I think you would owe them at least a courtesy remake.
    CNG

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Possibly this patient had glass lenses before these, and they lasted over seven years. As to loose screws, if we were doing all we should do, all screws would be peened. I admit I don't do this until the customer comes back with recurrent loosening screws, but we should be doing this on all screws.

Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Did they tell you that they were a long time customer and they always buy their glasses from you? That's my fav! :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Did they tell you that they were a long time customer and they always buy their glasses from you? That's my fav! :)
    I too love when they throw stuff out there like that, especially when they say they are great friends with the doctor's , using his/her first name. When you mention them to said doctor, they look at you like, "who dat?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry I am going on the attack! This went to Tell Mel at the local paper!

Good Morning,
    This is Craig Chasnov of Eyetopian Optical in Fort Myers and Bonita Springs, we have spoken about a disgruntled client of ours a few years ago and you were very fair. That was appreciated beyond words as the retailer is normally a punching bag for nasty cheap people with unrealistic expectations and no concept of win/win.We had a couple come to our store yesterday and were very upset that her lenses were defective and needed to be replaced; she was visibly upset and her husband stood there scowling while she pleaded her case. They were very good customers who needed to be take care of! Her husbands lenses after 7 years were still wearable to him, but her's were not; so hence they must be defective and we need to stand behind our work! The frames were fine, but she did not want to pay for new lenses as they must be defective and this is not right.

My wife Kelly was beat up verbally by them for about 10 minutes when I came out after hearing the whole thing to tell them that the normal warranty is one year, we offer 2 and they are upset after 7.

I told them "That is like taking your car back after 150,000 miles with a 30,000 mile warranty all up set that it needs a new part! At that the gentleman walked up to me and got in my face. I asked him why he was my face and his wife came over to separate him and pushed me!

I am standing there and she pushed me out of the way like I did something.We are small business owners who support the community in every fashion and things like this cause us to consider selling out to corporate america! We had our best year last year after being here for 13 years so we must be making somebody happy? Our warranty return rate is less than 1% because we do not use product that do not exceed expectations, but at what point does it end? We run 4 businesses and things like this want us to sell off the retail side because of days like this.

Our day was ruined and they go on to tell the world how unfair we are; At what point can the business owner say enough is enough?

I would like to have you call the clients and get their side of the story and print the truth! If we are wrong let the world decide, but how about letting the world know that this type of attitude is what causes business to get soured and have good people say no more!It is time to stand up for the business and the people who are willing to pay for products or what they get in life and not teach others that is acceptable.

What about the other people in my store who get to hear part of this and leave because they hear someone upset with our quality? They did not get to hear that it was from 7 years ago!
    I have done over 50,000 transactions over the years and we stand behind every thing we have ever sold, but at what point does it become client abuse?

I can be reached at:

Thanks and i do fell better already.
    Make it a great day!
    Craig Chasnov
    www.weewaggin.com our dog rescue and I am serving on the Presidents Council for Make A Wish for both Lee and Collier County. We give back and this may cause me to go away! Please help the world see a sense of reality from both sides of the coin.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

I told them "That is like taking your car back after 150,000 miles with a 30,000 mile warranty all up set that it needs a new part! At that the gentleman walked up to me and got in my face. I asked him why he was my face and his wife came over to separate him and pushed me!

I am standing there and she pushed me out of the way like I did something.

If she actually pushed you, that could be grounds for assault or simple assault charges. May want to check.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Some are truly crazy
    Yes, the truly crazy. They're a lot like perennials, ready to pounce on the innocent and unsuspecting during the spring, retreating in the late fall, recharging their insanity for the next spring attack.

As the sarge used to say, 'Hey, let's be careful out there'.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, some people have unrealistic ideas on how long eyeglasses should last. I think you handled it well, please don't let people like that ruin your day, they aren't worth it.

I have a frame that I still use that's from 2001, I put my over the contacts driving glasses in it. I also have some favorite suns that are 5 years old. But I don't expect glasses to last over 5 years, especially with lots of wear.

I have to ask, what happened to the lenses? What did she pay for them 7 years ago?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate when couples are both (fill in the blank). I find usually one is calm and collected while the other is over the top unreasonably difficult.

Unfortunately too many businesses these days leave an impression that a refund or redo is given for any reason.

So far as I know only Craftsman tools and LL Bean have unlimited warranties.

Food for thought Craig- this is a public forum and anyone can sue anyone for any reason...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fester:

Many tool companies have a lifetime warranty. Sears/Craftsman warranty is on hand tools only. Powertools not covered under warranty.
    A few things with complex machinery are covered with "lifetime warranty" as well as some paints. But they are few and far between.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    were they drunk, or seem they could be on drugs? That seems to be the only possible reason for such behavior.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office may hold the record! Last month a lady came in and demanded newglasses because the ones she purchased ten (10) years ago had broken. According to her the frame had a lifetimeguarantee. She stormed out when we allstarted laughing.

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We hear lifetime warranties all the time with Silhouette or Flexon frames.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to mention AR treatments...we bought the marketing, created our own monster and NOW we want to complain???

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I say "memory metal" or "titanium" and they hear "unbreakable." I say "scratch resistant" and they hear "scratch-proof." I say "Transitions" or "polarized" or "progressive" or "anti-reflective" and they hear "magic."

You can only talk; you can't make them listen.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

I would like to have you call the clients and get their side of the story and print the truth! If we are wrong let the world decide, but how about letting the world know that this type of attitude is what causes business to get soured and have good people say no more!It is time to stand up for the business and the people who are willing to pay for products or what they get in life and not teach others that is acceptable.

Applause!

It's a shame that one (or in this case two) customer(s) can ruin a day and, worse, threaten to ruin a business for the person running it. Hopefully all goes well after this, and I think it will for you, and maybe a great article will show up in your local paper, proving that businesses can't always bend over backwards for their customers, even though so many try.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow, sounds like quite the distraction. Are you sure they didn't have accomplices with them shop lifting while they created the rumble?

Thread Information