Thread: Made In USA Opinions

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Made In USA Opinions

We are doing our annual post on MADE IN USA: My questions: (Canadians can answer the questions, please note: Canada)
    1.)What Made in USA products are you using?
    2.) Have you actively sought to buy Made in USA products?
    3.) Are you promoting Made in USA Eyecare Products?
    4.) Have you had patients ask for Made in USA?
    any other comments are appreciated.
    Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. Shuron frames. A few screwdrivers made in USA.
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. yes
    5. Wish I knew about more eyewear products being made in USA. Only two I'm aware of are Shuron and Kala.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    1. Sharon frames, Harley sportster, motorized chopper bicycles, ruger .22 cal, and www.88clipon.com.
    2. Very yes! Starbucks daily!
    3. More yes. Promoting www.premiumsteel.com to Mainland China market to replace concrete and bricks!
    4. Yes.
    Last edited by JERRY HUANG; 04-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    "Made in USA" must be innovative, one-of-the-kind, such as Coca-Cola and Levis. "Made in USA" promotes national pride which stands for quality, leadership, and still......innovation!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I carry Kala frames, made in the USA, including the acetate!
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    "Made in USA" must be innovative, one-of-the-kind, such as Coca-Cola and Levis. "Made in USA" promotes national pride which stands for quality, leadership, and still......innovation!
    Coke is usually bottled and distributed within just a few milesof where it is consumed and the last time Levi's were made in the United StatesHector was just a pup and Christ was still a lance corporal. True enough, mostinnovation originates in the United States but it is expropriated as soon as amature market develops. It is nearly impossible to economically (read competitively)produce consumer goods under the present confiscatory taxes and governmentinterference.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    levis are now made off shore :(, brook brothers in Mexico and Malaysia, Blackberries used to be made in Canada, not any more, but seriously its the distribution and marketing where all the value add comes from, just ask Nike, Apple, General Motors, Swiss watches are made in China only assembled in Switzerland need to say Made in Switzerland same goes for frames too. It might say made in Italy but that because the licence fee went to an Italian designer and that cost more than the manufacturing. Its a crazy world but that's free trade and democracy I guess.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Made in China is getting more expensive if the prices on China Alley at VEE is any indication. In two years it seems as though the prices have doubled at those booths where you have to buy at least 300 per model. I would be surprised if we don't soon see more frames made in the US.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Both my Beretta (Italian firearms manufacturer) handguns were made in Maryland.

I'm really starting to like Breedlove guitars out of Bend Oregon, probably will pick one up when I'm ready to start playing with my church band.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Made in China is getting more expensive if the prices on China Alley at VEE is any indication...
    This is the natural progression for manufacturers. When I was a boy "Made in Japan" was the order of the day for all things cheap; now you pay a premium for Japanese products. When I first started in optical, the cheap stuff was "Made in Hong Kong" - then Korea, Singapore, Malaysia...and now China. As the Chinese workforce improves its skills and production, and the average worker-bee begins to demand more money for their improved performance/production at these facilities, Made in China will slowly fade away to make room for The New Cheapest Place To Make Stuff - that will NOT be the USA.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry huang View Post
    2. Very yes! Starbucks daily!
    hahahaha!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Made in China is getting more expensive if the prices on China Alley at VEE is any indication. In two years it seems as though the prices have doubled at those booths where you have to buy at least 300 per model. I would be surprised if we don't soon see more frames made in the US.
    Every time they print a dollar bill, the ones in your pocket will buy a little bet less over seas.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper There is already a replacement for China........................................

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post

Made in China will slowly fade away to make room for The New Cheapest Place To Make Stuff - that will NOT be the USA.

There is already a replacement for China in place and operating at full speed..............and that is India. That country has already progressed at triple speed over the last ten years since it finally opened their borders for trade and industry.

The last one to come much later, at seems to be on the back burner for years to come, is Africa.

As long as the world is dominated by the super large corporations they will move where to where production is the cheapest.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    "Made in USA" doesn't need to be a huge project! We can start something small to modify frames from existings by adding crystals, graphic engraving, replace temples from horn or wood material. I believe "Make in USA" will come back someday to fullfill the nitche sector of the market and enough to occupy every single space of optical boutique gallery.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Michigan is still in "safe mode" so we promote Michigan made products whenever possible. Our customers (many UAW) like that we are a home grown company and use local labs, local labor and are involved in local charities. I park my Honda around back.

Thread Information