Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I just ordered my new Santinelli ME-1200!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue I just ordered my new Santinelli ME-1200!

We are very excited to replace our 7.5 year old machine with the new version. Who has one besides Barry? I want to start an offering to share patterns between us; I have over 8,000 jobs and 1,500 drill patterns in my system that will work. We can also get all of the Lindberg from the factory for example and I can work on other brands.

This is the start of an on-line platform that will allow anyone with the machine to search for a complicated Oakley that Barry already figured out or an amazing facet one of us creates. We are a small non-competeing group and should help each other.

Who own's an ME-1200 or want's to buy one and join the fun!

It is a cool toy and we will have lots of fun!

Craig

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As I understand it, we ordered ours today too
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    As I understand it, we ordered ours today too
    You have Me-1000's now if I recall. Did you get the newer blocker-tracer? I am waiting till Expo west for the wrap tracer to be released.

You must have aton of patterns in your machines?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have you tried trace points? $1500 for 75K patterns including drill points, I'm still waiting on the sample info CD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish that we had one.......does that count?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think, before we start sharing, that we need to first *certify* each other.
    then add in some politics, a dash of trolls, and we'll have another interesting optiboard thread.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I think, before we start sharing, that we need to first *certify* each other.
    then add in some politics, a dash of trolls, and we'll have another interesting optiboard thread.
    Sounds like we have the troll* covered! :)

Sorry, just trying to be interesting. Now, who wants to bring up some poli-tricks?

*Troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Sounds like we have the troll* covered! :)

Sorry, just trying to be interesting. Now, who wants to bring up some poli-tricks?

*Troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    Oops...me be a troll.

Occupation
    That was meant to be ironic, right?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dunno. I just can't get that excited about an edger. You guys gotta get a life....enjoy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I dunno. I just can't get that excited about an edger. You guys gotta get a life....enjoy.
    And therein, and respectfully now, lies the essential difference between optometrist and optician. Medical gatekeeper for eyes vs. craftsman. A state of the art edger is the ultimate tool for a fully-rounded optician.

I see it thusly: My edger-my instrument-my Bang & Olufsen entertainment system-my car (BMW 128i conv). All are expressions of my appreciation for exquisite craftsmanship.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And therein, and respectfully now, lies the essential difference between optometrist and optician. Medical gatekeeper for eyes vs. craftsman. A state of the art edger is the ultimate tool for a fully-rounded optician.

I see it thusly: My edger-my instrument-my Bang & Olufsen entertainment system-my car (BMW 128i conv). All are expressions of my appreciation for exquisite craftsmanship.

B
    I don't even get that excited over my Heidelberg Retinal Tomographer. LOL. I do get excited over a good steak and a beer.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't even get that excited over my Heidelberg Retinal Tomographer.
    You realize you're comparing 6K to 60K, and probably 10% of your patient's benefit from an HRT whereas 100% from the edger, 2002 technology to 2012 technology everything is 10 fold even the excitement ;)

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    I <3 my ME1200!!
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Did you happen to check out the OPTEK SHAPE edger at VEE? Curious about any opinions.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We are very excited to replace our 7.5 year old machine with the new version. Who has one besides Barry? I want to start an offering to share patterns between us; I have over 8,000 jobs and 1,500 drill patterns in my system that will work. We can also get all of the Lindberg from the factory for example and I can work on other brands.

This is the start of an on-line platform that will allow anyone with the machine to search for a complicated Oakley that Barry already figured out or an amazing facet one of us creates. We are a small non-competeing group and should help each other.

Who own's an ME-1200 or want's to buy one and join the fun!

It is a cool toy and we will have lots of fun!

Craig

Hello Craig, can you confirm that the 1200 can do interchangable lenses for an Oakley type frame? Facets I understand, specific base bevels for lenses to accomadate power and option to do custom shapes for rimless I understand but at the show I was under the impression that the "angle feature" was a fixed amount and not according to the base of the lens being edged. If so couldn't this limit the lens fit in a frame (under some circumstances)? I ask because we are considering a MEI 641 because of the angle according to lens base feature. Also did you consider a 641 before ordering the 1200?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Hello Craig, can you confirm that the 1200 can do interchangable lenses for an Oakley type frame? Facets I understand, specific base bevels for lenses to accomadate power and option to do custom shapes for rimless I understand but at the show I was under the impression that the "angle feature" was a fixed amount and not according to the base of the lens being edged. If so couldn't this limit the lens fit in a frame (under some circumstances)? I ask because we are considering a MEI 641 because of the angle according to lens base feature. Also did you consider a 641 before ordering the 1200?
    i did not look at the 641- How much is it? From what I understand, Barry can do anything with the machine; I am sure the 1200 can do 98% of all work and the rest can go to the MEI big boy with a programmer to do the bevels.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i did not look at the 641- How much is it? From what I understand, Barry can do anything with the machine; I am sure the 1200 can do 98% of all work and the rest can go to the MEI big boy with a programmer to do the bevels.
    The boss has the exact quote but he said around 100K. How about the 1200 How much is it? The boss didn't mention that one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The boss has the exact quote but he said around 100K. How about the 1200 How much is it? The boss didn't mention that one.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great edger. You will enjoy using it for sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An mei is better at being set-up (programmed) to do many multiples of complicated jobs. Where almost every job is different, a conventional edger excels. But nothing beats the finish quality on a sculpted-edge shape (like an Oakley FJ) than an MEI.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    An mei is better at being set-up (programmed) to do many multiples of complicated jobs. Where almost every job is different, a conventional edger excels. But nothing beats the finish quality on a sculpted-edge shape (like an Oakley FJ) than an MEI.

B
    So Barry, you are saying that for an interchangable like an Oakley Flak Jacket, Half Jacket, ect that the MEI does a better job on the shelf'd area (which allows it to fit into the frame)? If so how, is it the angle of the cut, finish appearance of the router, can a 1200 even do an interchangable such as the Oakley Flak Jacket, Half Jacket, ect. Thanks in advance, Nothing beats actual experience in answering the tough questions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So Barry, you are saying that for an interchangable like an Oakley Flak Jacket, Half Jacket, ect that the MEI does a better job on the shelf'd area (which allows it to fit into the frame)? If so how, is it the angle of the cut, finish appearance of the router, can a 1200 even do an interchangable such as the Oakley Flak Jacket, Half Jacket, ect. Thanks in advance, Nothing beats actual experience in answering the tough questions.

At this time, software in the ME1200 CANNOT sculpt the lip of frames like an Oakley FJ, HJ, etc. However, at VEE & VEW, they did demonstrate pre-prod software that would allow these frames to be done. The MEI would, however, still be better than an ME1200 in its present configuration for *finish* on the shelf of these lenses.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At this time, software in the ME1200 CANNOT sculpt the lip of frames like an Oakley FJ, HJ, etc. However, at VEE & VEW, they did demonstrate pre-prod software that would allow these frames to be done. The MEI would, however, still be better than an ME1200 in its present configuration for *finish* on the shelf of these lenses.

B
    It is here!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The MEI is also fast as heck, while the ME1200 is slow as heck. You also need a computer programmer to run an MEI while anybody can run an ME1200. I know it take a craftsman to make it purr, but the software is such that my kids could run it in an hour or so. The MEI is the opposite end of the spectrum and the edge polish on the MEI is only decent.

If I ran a lab, we would only use an MEI but i heard Santinelli has a new edger for labs that is very good or better for the $$. I love competition and to see how the technology gets better.

Craig

Thread Information